The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thinking of starting with art markers

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Howdy partners.

I know I haven't posted any art at all this year ( :blink: ) but that doesn't mean I've lost interest in the art of drawing. I blame school.
But now that I'll graduate within two days (!) I've promised myself to take it up again.
It feels like it's something I want to do. ^^
However, I want to try something new rather than sticking to the digital artworks.
Therefor, I've been keeping my eyes on coloring with art markers. (sort of a type of felt pen)
I've seen tones of art with this technique, and I must say I enjoy it and would like to give it a try.
Not sure what kind of makers I should get though, and I've heard that there are huge difference between brands.
At the time, I've come down to three brands, Prismacolor, TRIA and Copic.
Of these three, the Copics are the one most praised for their performance. They're also, the most expensive ones.
Been looking around at various discussion, and Copic usually ends up winning most things, though they're losing points because of their price...
Though, I like them. And thinking of giving them a try. They have, until now, been very hard to get.
But just recently, a new online store opened in my country. Penstore!
Penstore!
I couldn't have more luck. They sell both Copic and Tria, and to a FAR better price than other stores I've looked at. Feels extra safe that they're stationed in my country too.

Apart from markers, I need Multiliners for inking, good pencils for sketching, special paper and preferably a light-box, for transferring sketches to appropriate marker paper. I can get most of these things at various stores.
And a new desk lamp which I need anyway. :rolleyes:
Sure, I'd stick to the digital as well. It will be needed for some corrections, and/or printing/scanning etc.

What do you think? I do not know if any other artists here have experience with markers, but if you do, I ask you kindly to give me your inputs. :)
Otherwise, you could tell me what you think.
I thought this would be fun, and I MUST have something more creative to attend to in my sparetime than video games when I start at the Uni next year.  :unsure:
Or I'll go nuts on myself.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds great Gus! I've never worked with any of the art markers you mentioned. Though for the love on land before time: Tria :o from the look of things, I'd go with Copic.

Good luck on getting all the stuff you need. Starting a (relatively) new hobby is always nice!

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not a marker artist, but I will make sure to watch this to see how you do once you get a set of those Copics.   :smile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Markers, eh?  Sounds interesting!  Be sure to post your fanart whenever ya can :smile.