The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

On the topic of Zoos

Saft · 6 · 886

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
One of the more interesting conversations that I have had in the past was on the topic of zoos.  Not merely the enjoyment of going to a zoo and seeing all the awesome animals of nature but the essential nature of zoos.  Are zoos a benefit for animals and humans alike?  In what way could the zoo environment be improved do you feel?  Do you feel as though zoos should be totally closed down and the animals that are in the zoos should be released into the wild?

:lol  I apologise for that many questions.  It is just a few points to focus on for the time being.

Personally, I am split in my opinion of the essential aspect of the zoo enviornment.  In some form, zoos are a benefit for both animals and humans.  Humans can have the opportunity to explore and understand the nature of the variety of creatures that we share the Earth with, without all the population having to rely on text books or going into the animal's natural environments.  

Animals too, especially those who are on the endangered species list benefit by having a chance to improve their disminishing numbers and narrowly avoid extinction of their species, through an extended breeding programme then attempts would be made by the zoos to either release the new generation to a controlled environment in the 'wild' or broaden the gene pool of the captivity animals (think the Giant Panda).  

Yet, there are some zoos were their enclosures are appalling in the living conditions.  There is no animal enrichment and the animals are often poorly treated.  This has to change.  I don't feel that zoos should be totally closed down as zoos do play a vital role (again the panda example) but we should not rely on zoos to preserve the animals in their natural habitats.  

We should do as much as possible to preserve conservation and support the wild gene pool whilst at the same time increasing the likely survival of declining species through the conservation work that takes place in the zoos.  

After all, it is our own fault that these animals are declining.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I see zoos as a good thing in general provided they take the time to understand the animals and keep them sustained both mentally and physically. It isn't enough to just make a suitable habitat; they also have to make sure the animals don't get bored.

There are ways of doing this. For instance, at one sanctuary for wild cats, they hide food in boxes and place the boxes somewhere in the habitat. The cat can find the box and rip it up to get the meat inside. This is their enrichment and gives them something to look forward to every day.

There are some zoos that even change the habitats so the animals feel like they're in a new place. There is at least one zoo I heard of where they have paths in which predator and prey can cross safely without hurting each other. The purpose of this is to replicate the stress of predator/prey briefly, something the animals would feel out in the wild.

One thing that may need to change is the way they are built. Animals can be stressed out by people watching them. Replacing the bars with strong, one-way glasses (people can see out, animals can't see out) may be a more ideal option.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've never been to a zoo in my life, but the general idea is good.  I just think zoos need to be better equipped to provide a proper environment for the animals.  Zoos need to be absolutely enormous - so large in fact that there should only be a few of them in the United States.  A proper environment for an elephant or instance should be at least several hundred square kilometers.  Going to the zoo should be like going on a mini safari.  I don't think it's right to keep animals confined as much as they do.  Unfortunately building an enclosure large enough for animals such as elephants is a major expense.  Maybe we should drop the national defense budget down by 0.000000001% and give it to the zoos.  That would do it. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As mentioned above I can see the need.  They do let folks see in real life animals they'd only see in pictures, or in video.  Also it may be the only way some species can remain existing, an increasing number as time goes by likely.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Zoos do help keep some animals from extinction and allow them to be repopulated. Not to mention, what better way to show children (who may be future zoologists and conservationists) the wonders of the natural world?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Zoos are a great concept for endangered animals whose native countries provide no protection for them.  However, many zoos tend to be pitiful in size and condition, and I do worry about the animals being stressed by human contact abd not given enough mental stimulation.  The San Diego Zoo is an excellent example by which other zoos should follow as far as size an upkeep are concerned :yes.

Being a conservationist, I still strongly encourage people to go to our national parks if they wish to see animals behaving wildly in their natural habitat, and yes they are protected.  This not only teaches the human race how to respect animals more, but also to appreciate and respect the natural environment as well.