The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Intel i7 6950x specs leaked

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've built quite a few $5,000+ machines in my time, and yeah it's scary. If you make a mistake or screw something up, that's a BAD deal.
Absolutely!

A couple of years ago I tried to build an i5 4690k machine for my grandparents myself. I bought the parts, took them home...and made a huge mistake when installing the CPU on the motherboard.

I honestly don't know what I did wrong. I inserted the CPU into the motherboard the right way, closed the latch, built the rest of the machine and it didn't boot. When I took out the CPU while I was diagnosing it, I noticed the CPU pins had become bent during the installation.

I took back the CPU and exchanged it for a new one. When I installed the new one into my board, the exact same thing happened - the CPU pins were bent as I closed the latch.

Ever since, I've been terrified of building my own computer from scratch because I have ZERO idea what I did wrong or how that was possibly happening.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on what may have gone wrong? Also, what is the purpose of that black lid that sits on a new mobo's CPU socket that just kinda falls off but says "do not remove until installing the CPU" or something similar? I assume it was related to my problem but...it can't be because then how would you ever replace the CPU? I assume it's just to protect from dust?

I have no idea how the simple act of inserting a CPU into the socket could bend the pins. Because I don't even know what I did wrong, I'm unwilling to attempt building a computer again, especially since I'm looking at higher-end builds with VERY expensive CPUs.

I've installed CPUs on motherboards in the past, in the AMD Athlon and Pentium 4 days. The i5 just didn't like me and I have no idea what I did wrong...I feel I was very careful, lined everything up, closed the latch slowly...I don't know what could have gone wrong but I'm 2 for 2 on the i5s so I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong.

I don't suppose anyone would have an idea? I've just been going through a local builder for years who will build my system for $40 for me. It just sucks because, while I can replace other components, I can't upgrade the CPU because I'm terrified of ripping my CPU out.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: action9000,Jun 17 2016 on  03:17 PM
Absolutely!

A couple of years ago I tried to build an i5 4690k machine for my grandparents myself. I bought the parts, took them home...and made a huge mistake when installing the CPU on the motherboard.

I honestly don't know what I did wrong. I inserted the CPU into the motherboard the right way, closed the latch, built the rest of the machine and it didn't boot. When I took out the CPU while I was diagnosing it, I noticed the CPU pins had become bent during the installation.

I took back the CPU and exchanged it for a new one. When I installed the new one into my board, the exact same thing happened - the CPU pins were bent as I closed the latch.

Ever since, I've been terrified of building my own computer from scratch because I have ZERO idea what I did wrong or how that was possibly happening.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on what may have gone wrong? Also, what is the purpose of that black lid that sits on a new mobo's CPU socket that just kinda falls off but says "do not remove until installing the CPU" or something similar? I assume it was related to my problem but...it can't be because then how would you ever replace the CPU? I assume it's just to protect from dust?

I have no idea how the simple act of inserting a CPU into the socket could bend the pins. Because I don't even know what I did wrong, I'm unwilling to attempt building a computer again, especially since I'm looking at higher-end builds with VERY expensive CPUs.

I've installed CPUs on motherboards in the past, in the AMD Athlon and Pentium 4 days. The i5 just didn't like me and I have no idea what I did wrong...I feel I was very careful, lined everything up, closed the latch slowly...I don't know what could have gone wrong but I'm 2 for 2 on the i5s so I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong.

I don't suppose anyone would have an idea? I've just been going through a local builder for years who will build my system for $40 for me. It just sucks because, while I can replace other components, I can't upgrade the CPU because I'm terrified of ripping my CPU out.
Well, something's getting confused here because the Intel i-Series processors don't have pins on the CPU's themselves.  The pins are on the motherboard.  As for the black cover, if you close the CPU latch with no CPU installed, you can damage the socket where the pins are on the motherboard.  If anything, you ended up bending the pins on the motherboard.  If that happened, getting a new CPU wouldn't have solved anything because the CPU itself is fine.  The problem is with the motherboard.  

AMD CPU's still have pins on the CPU's themselves.  But Intel moved away from that a long time ago, back in the Core 2 Duo days.

The main way you bend the crap out of the pins is if you install the CPU in the wrong orientation.  Make sure you line it up properly before putting it on.  And make sure you close one of the latches before the other.

EDIT:  All this being said, it's very possible to un-bend the pins on the motherboard if you're VERY patient and have the right tools (NOT a ballpoint pen).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You're right, LBTLover. It was some time ago and apparently I've forgotten that detail. :p
Yes, the pins were on the motherboard, not the CPU, but the concept of the problem remains true. Thanks for the clarification. I suppose I just repressed the details from my memory from embarrassment. :lol