The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Special Preview of Dark Future

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here is a little preview of my fic, Dark Future.

Just a little warning before you read, there's going to be blood, violence and death.

Understand, this is the way I like my fics most, and that's what I mainly aim for.

---------------

An icy chill surrounded the area.  It was cold.  Cold enough for your breath to be seen, but not cold enough for snow.  Still, it was cold.  Cold, except for the hot southern wind that blew with the smell of smoke.  Several trees around the dark area had caught fire.  Fire, which was caused by lightning from the dark clouds that covered the whole valley above, which blocked the stars from anyone's view.  Clouds that produced lightning, but no rain.  Intermitted moonlight shone through the area.  Trees of a forest were knocked down and burning.  The fire was spreading, engulfing the forest.  The trees were not knocked down by fire, but by some sort of creature.  Creatures that left spread-out three toed footprints in the ground.

A long-necked dinosaur, an Apatosaurus, that was taller than most of the trees in the valley, lowered his head down, examining the destroyed area.  The footprints caught his eye.  He recognized them very well.  He had run into them many times in his life.  So much experience growing up having to deal with these beings taught him how to deal with them.  Behind him stood four figures, each nearly cloaked in the darkness of the night and a completely different species of a dinosaur.  The Apatosaurus only gave the group behind him a silent nod, confirming what they believed it to be.  The gang of five continued on south.  The footprints were quite fresh.  The threat was close.

The fire continued to spread.  The blaze burned through the valley like a natural wildfire.  Residents ran as fast as they could away from the intensely hot deadly flames and throat clogging smoke, screaming it terror.  However, they were mainly running from another threat at hand.

Nearby, several raptors held the various pieces of wood that had fire in the earlier forest they attacked in their claw like hands.  They threw the fire-sticks at the many dinosaurs, barely missing due to bad aim.  A Tyrannosaurus Rex nearby held a small tree that was on fire and continued to light the forest, making all that were hiding to run away in fear.

Producing three-toed footprints in the ground, giving chase to the residents, a duck-billed dinosaur, male to be exact, that was highly different from the Parasaurolophus kind he was related to.  He sniffed the air like a hunting dog searching for the scent of his prey.  He was after something.  The thing he was after looked like he did.

Behind a large rock a female adult Parasaurolophus stood with her back against the boulder, her whole body shaking in fear.  Due to the size of the rock she was hidden well and she could not be seen by plain sight.  However, that did not save her.  She was unfortunately in heat at this time of the season, and the smell of that gave her away.  Something suddenly grabbed her by the neck and held her tightly.  At least the hold on her neck wasn’t tight enough to stop her from breathing.  She let out a screaming cry of help.  Upon response, the full fledged sharp-tooth that looked like her species slashed her across the face, the claws digging deep into the skin and making blood gush out.

“Stop screaming like a tail-wagger and take this like a real swimmer!” He spat disgustedly.

The female was a bit offended by what he called her, but the fear in her seemed to destroy the offensiveness she had.  The male then moved into position near the one little place on the female was only allowed for a mate to go near.  Nearby, in fact right next to them, a raptor watched them in great fascination.

A shadow shifted.

Pain exploded into him as a connected fist that hit his face made him go flying away and knock right into the nearby raptor.  They went some distance before somersaulting backward onto their backs.  The two dinosaurs got up and now saw a female Saurolophus in front of the one that he was about to do his little experiment on.  She was indeed different from the brownish one she was protecting.  The irises of her eyes were as blue as a well missed clear day sky and her skin was as green as a leaf from a well-nourished tree in summer time.

The male Parasaurolophus stood up and stared angrily at her.  His orange like skin made him seem to almost blend in with the surrounding flames that were about.  The difference with him was quite obvious.  Sharp teeth and claws, and that wasn’t even the most unusual thing.  The one thing that made it obvious of how unusual he was out of all things, were his eyes.  The eyes had no pupil… no iris… there was nothing but the white.

He turned his head to the raptor nearby.  The raptor was huge.  A scary forty feet tall lightly built, fast moving, agile, bipedal and bird-like.  His skin was as blue as the vast ocean, and yet, he was an abnormality himself.  His eyes offered no pupil… no iris… there was nothing but the white.

“Get that fake!” He ordered the raptor.

The raptor obeyed and charged right towards the green female.  He got close to the new prey.  The female waited until the right moment.  The raptor was about to slash at her.  She suddenly grabbed the powerful right claw that was about to rip at her flesh.  The raptor tried to counter with his left claw, but it was quickly grabbed as well.  She may’ve been slightly smaller then the raptor, a mere two inches at most, but she was stronger, much stronger.  She was able to take complete control of the right arm and plunge it into the chest cavity of the unusual raptor.  The razor sharp claws ripped through the skin and pierced the heart.  She then let the now dead creature fall.  Blood oozing out and soaking the ground below.

Seeing his teammate lying there dead, the sharp-fanged Parasaurolophus was completely shocked.  Of course, it was rather difficult to tell that there was fear in his eyes with them being all white.  However, the fear was definitely there.

There was a formality to the one that had killed his teammate.  Unfortunately, he couldn’t place where he had seen her before.

Suddenly, he heard thunder around him.  He looked around and there was no lightning proceeding from the clouds at the moment to produce the thunder.  Which meant something big was coming his way.  At that point he suddenly met his end.  He couldn’t even tell what it was that ended his life.  The last thing he remembered was seeing something suddenly shrouding him in shadows before plunging into eternal darkness.

--------------

That's as far as I've gotten.

Do not think of me as lazy, as I've been busy with other fics. (About 6 others.) Also, I'm not that focused on doing this fic as I am on one other fic.

So, what do you think so far?

And to those who have issues with length, just remember, the chapter isn't finished yet, so it still has some length to go.

Please give me your most honest reviews.

See ya later. :wave

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Oh lovely.  I needed my blood and gore for the day.  :lol:

I'm sort of lost and rereading it didn't help me.  Is the raptor in league with the parasaurolophus, the one with the funky eyes?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Everyone knows my stand on excessive violence or unrealistic elements (e.g. a T-Rex holding even so much as a small tree with his scrawny, two-fingered arms) in a land before time story. So I won't go into that.
You repeat some words at the beginning. You do it as a stylistic device, no doubt about that, but I think you overdo it a bit (that's just my opinion though). You sometimes use scientific dinosaur names (Apatosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Parasaurolophus). Maybe the LBT language is better to use with some kind of footnote at the bottom in case one kind is really not to recognize with certainty from their LBT-language version.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
RogerRabbit: Yes!

Malte: Well, the unrealistic elements are indeed of true imagination.  As you know, this is inspired by another fanfic, and torches were involved, and since they weren't around back then, I had to be creative. :p

Well, there's a reason for repeated words.  My vocabulary isn't as high as one would apprieciate, and I have the tendancy to not use a thesaurus. :^.^:

I highly understand the LBT language to be easy to understand.  However, there's probably going to be every single dinosaur that ever existed within this fic, and let's just say I like to challenge myself when it comes to writing.  Using the scientific names of dinosaurs, will be no exception. :)

Okay, got the reviews out of the way.

Anyone else have any comments about this.  Just remember, this is only part of Chapter 1.  It has yet to be finished.

Well, I'll see ya later. :wave

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot!  Can you guess who of the gang has appeared so far? :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'd say Ducky and Littlefoot for certain if I had to take a guess.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
RR: (Mind if I call you that, RogerRabbit?) Yes, those ones are quite obvious.  However, I believe one would find it hard to believe the greeen Saurolophus to be Ducky, based upon the immense strength she holds. (Able to control the arms of a raptor that is slightly bigger than she is with her own.)

In case you are wondering how the funky eyed Parasaurolophus met his end, Littlefoot had crushed the poor dinosaur's head with his big foot. (You really can't call him Littlefoot anymore.  He went through quite the growth spurt within the twenty years of his life.)

Now, there was one scene I did cut out that I will tell you about.  I did have Ducky go further with the violence and pull out the raptor's heart.  I even attempted to make a debateable thing that it was nessacary, as that was the only way to actually kill the raptor.  However, that would severly lower the creative ways I have in mind for killing someone.  It was mainly for that reason I cut it out. (That and I felt that it was going too far.)

The next scene I'm working on feature's a certian flyer and just wait until you see the damage it can cause to someone. (The bloody mess the victim ends up in, I consider a work of art.) You will even be more surprised with what it does next.

I'm still having trouble coming up with new names for the gang.  I've changed Littlefoot to Thunderfoot and now I've changed Cera to Ceaera. (pronounced sea-era.) I still need name changes to Ducky, Petrie and Spike.  Any requests out there? :)

Well, I guess that's it.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Lovely stuff.  LBT meets JPIII...we love broken bones!  :rolleyes:

RR: (Mind if I call you that, RogerRabbit?)

Works for me.  You could call me by my real name, Adam as well and I wouldn't care.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Littlefoot had crushed the poor dinosaur's head with his big foot.
I did have Ducky go further with the violence and pull out the raptor's heart.
However, that would severly lower the creative ways I have in mind for killing someone.
The next scene I'm working on feature's a certian flyer and just wait until you see the damage it can cause to someone. (The bloody mess the victim ends up in, I consider a work of art.) You will even be more surprised with what it does next.
Not too much that could surprise me anymore. Despicable. Begging your pardon, but frankly I'm not going to read it. Not my cup of blood. Why is it that I have a feeling there is a connection between authors' dealing with violence in stories and their stand on violence respectively their excercising of the same in real life.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
RR:  I can see that you're quite the fan of violence.  Don't worry, there will be plenty more.

Malte:  I'm terribly sorry to lose you as a fan.  I can see that you have a thing about violence, so I can understand.

I mainly try to please myself.  I've come to understand that if the author doesn't like the story, there is no point in really writing it, as they feel less inspired to work on it.

However, I think I have another story of LBT that I'm working on that I think might please you.  It doesn't hold much violence. (Mainly a Littlefoot & Cera fight.) The main plot though is exploring the relationship between each member of the gang, and as we know, some of them have pretty deep feelings for one another. (Like Ducky & Petrie.  They've had a deeper feeling than friendship since the beginning.) So, it is only a question on your stand in romance, but understand that it's rated G, so do not expect something too serious.

That is one element that will always find it's way into my fics.  I just seem to have a talent for it.  Knew that, with the way I made my first fic.

Well, that's all for the reviews.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Uhm, I was actually being sarcastic...hence this dude  :rolleyes:

Now, I don't mind reading it.  It just reminds me a lot about JPIII and the plotline of ripping people apart.  To me, I thought they could've did more than JUST the part about people running or getting their necks broken, etc.  What do you plan to do besides the obvious blood and gore?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
RR:  Well, romance is involved.  With Ali and Shorty coming into the story later, it turns into a nice little Shorty+Ali+Littlefoot+Cera romance rectangle.  I've never done a romance rectangle before.  Done triangles, but not rectangles.  So this should be an interesting thing for me.

Another thing that might be of intrest, is that Ali was a witness to a murder that was staged.  However, it looked so much like Littlefoot did it, that even a witness couldn't tell it was staged.  So, in that consent, the friendship between them was destroyed.  So now, he has to gain back the friendship he lost.

Now, there will be made up charcters for Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike.  However, the sad thing is that they are rip-offs of other made up charcters other authors have come up with.  In all truth, I SUCK at coming up with new charcters.  I have the ability to become a great writer.  I just have lack of coming up with new charcters.  Maybe one day I'll have something, but not today.

Well, that's all I can reveal right now.  I've got to go!