The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rainbow Faces?

Karmarsi

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://karmarsi-kedamoki.deviantart.com
Or I believe they are called. I've found myself falling in love with this creatures and looking them up. I'm very inclined to base my character off them but there's a few problems with it such as

- Their body structure
- What colors they can be ( I read earthy colors but I need a less vague answer. )
- Their height and weight

and other things. why do I need this? Well hey gotta make a skeleton of information in order to draw them and make them nice! <3 I thought maybe we could discuss the basis in order to help me. Forgive me if this isn't allowed or if this is the wrong section. We can easily move this.
Right?

[size0]Right...?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I suppose that since this topic is about designing a character, it would be best placed in the Fanart and Fanfiction section (you could ask an admin or moderator to move it, if you wanted), but there’s nothing inherently wrong with it.

To be honest, I don’t entirely understand what you’re asking for. :oops I gather that you are interested in drawing the rainbow faces from The Stone of Cold Fire, but I’m not clear on whether you’re looking for statistics on the LBT characters or the real dinosaur on which they are based.

The rainbow faces are indeed widely thought of as being Gallimimus. Personally I think they are based on Troodon, but I could swear that their design is changed slightly in later movies, giving them longer necks and proportionally smaller heads, causing them to more closely resemble Gallimimus. Just to be safe, I'll give you information on both dinosaurs, as well as some hopefully helpful information on the LBT rainbow faces:

Gallimimus was an ornithomimosaur, or ostrich dinosaur, from the late Cretaceous of Mongolia. It was up to 20 feet long (probably about 6 feet high at the hip), and 1,000 pounds. Apart from Deinocheirus (a possible giant ornithomimosaur known only from a pair of 8-foot-long arms), it and the recently described Beishanlong are the largest known members of its group. Its likely diet was plants, seeds, and fruit, but it may have been omnivorous, eating small animals (and possibly eggs) as well. It had a longer beak and shorter arms and legs than closely related ornithomimosaurs, and was presumably slower, though it was still a very swift dinosaur. (The shins and ankles of late Cretaceous ornithomimosaurs were exceptionally long and narrow; an adaptation for fast running.) Though its arms and fingers were long, its claws were fairly straight, and its hands functioned as hooks or clamps, good for pulling down branches but not so good for grasping prey. It had a poorer sense of smell than other theropods, but very large eyes that partly faced forward, giving it excellent vision. The neck was very long, the torso fairly short, and the beaked mouth toothless.

Troodon is known from the late Cretaceous of Montana, Wyoming, and Alberta. It measured 6 to 8 feet long (3–4 feet tall), with an estimated weight of between 70 and 110 pounds. It was a deinonychosaur, a member of the same group as the “raptors” (dromaeosaurs). Like its relatives, it bore hyperextendable sickle-shaped claws on its feet, though they were smaller than those of raptors. It had longer legs and shorter arms, and may have had a hard time tackling prey as large as itself. Its jaws and teeth also bear similarities to those of plant-eating reptiles. For instance, its teeth, while sharp, had large, jagged serrations like those of a herbivorous dinosaur. It is likely that Troodon hunted small prey such as mammals, insects, and hatchling dinosaurs, and may have also eaten some plant matter. It is known for having one of the largest brains (in proportion to body size) and most forward-facing eyes of any dinosaur. It may have been crepuscular or nocturnal, hunting in twilight or at night.

NOTE: Although Troodon is the most famous troodontid, it is known from very poor remains. The type specimenóto which the scientific name of “Troodon” was originally assignedóconsisted only of teeth. Since the 1980s, it has been considered synonymous with Stenonychosaurus, a dinosaur known from more complete remains (Since Troodon was named first, its name takes precedent), but future studies may rule that the two are different creatures after all. Troodon's physical appearance is largely extrapolated from its relative Sinornithoides, the only troodontid from which a really complete skeleton is known.

As for the rainbow faces in LBT, their size is somewhat problematic to estimate, seeing as we don’t have any real way of comparing the scale of things in LBT to the real world. They don’t appear to be much larger than Ozzy and Strut from LBT II (who, being Struthiomimus, would incidentally be their closest relatives in the series if they are indeed Gallimimus), though it is not impossible that Littlefoot & co. have grown since that movie. (Character sizes are not always consistent in LBT, either.) I like to use Mr. Threehorn as a yardstick; if we assume that he is ten feet high at his frill (the maximum height figure usually given for Triceratops), then they would be about six feet tall. (If we measure the gang likewise, then Littlefoot, Cera, and Spike would be about two-and-a-half feet high at their backs.) If Mr. Threehorn is shorterólet’s say seven to eight feetóthen they would be roughly four or five feet tall. (This would place the larger members of the gang at twenty inches to two feet high, which some people may think of as too small.) As a side note, the rainbow faces in later movies appear to be taller than this.

The rainbow faces are typically colored as follows: The body is green, and the underside (from the lower part of the face to almost the tip of the tail) pale yellow or beige underside. The top of the head (from the nape of the neck to the tip of the snout) is blue, as are the stripes on the back. A yellow stripe extends from in front of the eyes to just past the nostrils, and above that is a thin red or orange stripe that extends all the way to the tip of the snout. The eyes are usually light orange, but the female rainbow face in LBT VII had pink eyes. (Her colors were also paler than the male’s, but since she is the only definitively female rainbow face we have seen in the series, there is no way of knowing if this coloration is typical of her gender.)

Since you probably want your character to be distinctive, you can change these colors to your preference. Dinosaurs in LBT tend to have the capacity for individual color variation anyway. One thing you could do is keep the pattern the same, and only change the colors. (You could make the color scheme completely different, or just partially; e.g., changing the colors of the facial stripes.) This way, your character will be easily recognizable as a rainbow face.

Hopefully some of that was helpful. :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Karmarsi

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://karmarsi-kedamoki.deviantart.com
Now why didn't I think of the fanfiction section? I'm silly
Believe it or not you did answer the questions I asked <3 Poor things got some identity issues it seems *bad joke*

I can see my female character having lighter colors compared to the male. That is if I make them similar colors.  :p

Thank you for the mass of information too <3 It's very helpful and will help me greatly when making the bios and characters <3 I truly hope you didn't go through much trouble finding it