The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Fanfic

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Nice chapter. I wonder what they're going to tell their parents?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can promise you that within two chapters, the parents will know about this thing. Also, expect at least one more chapter by the end of the year.

I just put the next three chapters on my list of things to do before the year ends. It goes from high to low priority depending on how many chapters need to be completed.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Apparently, I have had enough time tonight to work on and finish chapter eleven. Now I must work on finishing Chapter 12 before the end of the year. Well, here is chapter 11.

Chapter 11: Decisions

Littlefoot, Cera, Petrie, Ducky, and Spike were faced with a conundrum. Should they take Vylon's proposal and become Dragon Riders, or should they stay in the Great Valley? They thought about their answers as they walked back.
   "I want to be able to use this magic that he can, but I don't want to stop being a swimmer. No, no, no!" Ducky said.
   "That magic isn't real. I bet this is just some joke the grown-ups are pulling on us to get a good laugh." Cera said stubbornly.
   "Quit it, Cera. You know as well as I do that that is magic. How could you be covered in fire that matched your color, and come out perfectly unharmed? That has to be magic." Littlefoot said.
   "Me no know about you guys, but me going to become Rider." Petrie said.
   "Well, I think that we should make a decision as a group. How could we call ourselves friends if we didn't stick up for our friends decisions? We couldn't. No, no, no!" Ducky said. "I'm going to go with Petrie. What about you, Spike?"
   Spike nodded as Ducky mentioned his name. He stood by his sister, no matter what.
   "I'm doing it, too. I don't want you three to be alone. What about you, Littlefoot?" Cera asked.
   "I don't know. I like being a longneck. But that magic is far too tempting. Well, I'll see you tomorrow. If we meet at Vylon's place, then my answer is yes. If not, tell him I don't want to be a Rider." Littlefoot said.
   "Good night, Littlefoot!" the other three said.
   Littlefoot walked back to his nest, saying good night to his grandparents. As he fell asleep, he began dreaming about Vylon and the offer he was given. He imagined himself on the back of a massive dragon the same orange color as his egg.
   "Come!" a booming voice rang out in Littlefoot's head.
   "Who are you?" Littlefoot asked, a little nervous.
   "I am a friend. You don't need to fear me. Listen to me, Littlefoot. I know that you are fearing the choice of becoming a Dragon Rider, but don't be nervous about it. Listen closely, and I will tell you a story of my homeland, Alagaesia.
   "I was born in the elven forest of Ellesmera. I was treated like a normal elf, until Argana hatched for me. Then, I rose above the ranks of all the other elves who weren't Dragon Riders. I was one of the prodigies that appear once every century. I discovered that I was one of the Riders who was proficient in magic. This gave me an advantage of the other Riders, but I still treated my fellow peers as equals, even though they and I were different.
   "The land was peaceful. The rulers were benevolent. The land was treated nicely, and it returned the favor with successful harvest after harvest. The happiness was like no other in the world.
   "However, this couldn't last. One of the Dragon Riders was reckless. He lost his dragon. He went insane with grief and madness. He grew angry with the Elder Riders. He decided to betray the Riders and steal a newly hatched dragon. He destroyed the Riders, and the peace we strived so hard to achieve. This man is the current king of Alagaesia. He possesses two dragon eggs that he hasn't managed to hatch yet.
   "Your decision is not only for you. It is for the dragon hatchlings that the king possesses. It is for the friends of the elves. It is for Alagaesia. It is for peace.
   "Think hard, Littlefoot. I will await your decision tomorrow. I beg that you come to me."
   Littlefoot, while hearing the tale, watched events happening before his eyes. The events seemed to be of what Vylon experienced. The images matched up with the story perfectly.
   Littlefoot awoke. He noticed that it was still night time. He decided to leave a little early. He wanted to be at Vylon's cave at the crack of dawn.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Chapter 12 is up. By the way, don't expect such an influx of chapters during the school year. It would be better if you expected another 6-month hiatus.

By the way, I lied to you all.
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover, Sep 4 2008 on  7:56 PM
I can promise you that within two chapters, the parents will know about this thing.

I sadly didn't fit that into chapter 12, which was the second chapter after this one. Sorry. I promise that in two chapters, they will know. Also, this time, I MEAN IT!

Without further ado, CHAPTER 12!!!!

-----

Chapter 12: Riders Before The Pact

Littlefoot was the first to arrive at Vylon's cave. Cera, Petrie, Ducky, and Spike arrived a little bit before dawn. When they saw Littlefoot, they showed looks of relief and happiness on their faces.
   "Good. You decided to come, Littlefoot." Cera said, with happiness in her voice.
   "Yeah. I think it had to do with a dream, but I can't remember." Littlefoot replied.
   "Good morning!" Vylon said, appearing from his cave. When the gang first arrived, the gate had opened in a spectacular manner. Now, however, a set of two stone doors swung out, opening the entrance to the cave.
   "Judging by the fact that you are here, you have decided to accept my proposal and become Dragon Riders." He said.
   "Yes, we have." Littlefoot, Cera, Petrie, and Ducky said in unison. Spike only nodded.
   "Very well. I think that I should inform you of a few things first. Firstly, when you touch your dragon hatchling, you will feel a burst of energy shoot through your palms. It will paralyze you, but once that fades away, you will have officially become Dragon Riders. Now, there is a problem with the rules of the Dragon Riders. A Dragon Rider must be one of the two races that have agreed to the Dragon's Pact. You five are of races that have existed long before the pact was even thought of. Therefore, you technically can't become Dragon Riders. Luckily, I am one of the most proficient elves in magic, so this will aid us.
   "There is only one way a race that isn't in the pact to become a Rider, and that is to become one of the races in the pact. I can't change the pact, it would require too much magic that I could ever possess or handle. Instead, I have decided to turn you into elves. I will put an enchantment to temporarily transform you into elves. Once this enchantment is up, you can become Riders, since you are technically one of the races in the Dragon's Pact. However, the enchantment is temporary, so it will only be maintained as long as I am able to, which won't be as long as I had wanted it to because I have to maintain five enchantments simultaneously.
   "However, once you have become Dragon Riders, I won't have to worry about that anymore. The magic of the pact will stabilize and fortify the enchantment, allowing you to stay as elves for as long as you want to. In other words, you will become elves in every aspect except your minds. I can't give you the mind-set of the elves. All I can give you is our abilities. The rest is up to you. If you are proficient in magic, I will teach you how to transform yourself and your friends back into your original forms.
   "Now, you may be wondering why I have told you so much about what is about to happen. This is because I want you to ask questions. I want your curiosity to flourish. I want you to learn. I can't be a successful mentor if you are not willing to ask how and why things happen, what things are, and who people are."
   The gang was dumbfounded by Vylon's explanation of what was going to happen, but they seemed to get the general gist of what they were supposed to do. They had to touch the dragon hatchlings before Vylon's spell wore off. With a nod of their heads, Vylon began his incantation. The sound of Vylon's voice began to flow like a melody, rising and falling, the pitch changing in a most beautiful way. The gang didn't feel any different while Vylon was singing his spell, but they felt a tingling over their bodies towards the end of the incantation.
   Vylon decided to fetch a mirror so that the gang could see their elven forms. They realized that they were very similar to Vylon in the face. They had varying hair colors. Littlefoot, Cera, and Petrie had a raven-black hair. Ducky and Spike, however, had a dark brown hair. Petrie, Ducky, and Cera had deep blue eyes, while Littlefoot and Spike had deep green eyes. They were slim, just like Vylon.
   "I don't mean to rush you, but I would begin holding your eggs. They should hatch soon." Vylon said. "Also, be quick in touching your dragon hatchling."
   The group of elves decided that Vylon was right, and they picked up their respective eggs. Suddenly, the eggs began to squeak loudly. Almost out of instinct, they put the eggs down and sat in front of the eggs. As the squeaking became louder, the rocking became more and more violent. Cracks began to appear on the eggs. Pieces began falling off of the eggs, and soon, the five dragons were out of their eggs, examining their new environments. Excited, Petrie was the first to touch his hatchling.
   Suddenly, a burst of energy shot from his hand. He collapsed, curled up on the floor. After seeing this, the four conscious elves became reluctant to touch their hatchlings. VYlon, on the other hand, told them to. Reluctantly, one by one, they fell unconscious. After all five of the elves fell unconscious, the hatchlings began to look at their partners. Argana came out of the cave, her shoulder just above Vylon's. She looked at her children with the look a mother gives her children. The hatchlings looked around, and saw the elder dragon, and quickly climbed on top of their mother. They began acting like kittens. Argana was more than happy to entertain her young.
   Vylon, on the other hand, carried the unconscious elves one by one into his cave, where he laid them on five separate beds, and waited for them to wake up. There was only one thing running through his mind, and that was the joy of his pupils finally becoming ready to be trained.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Pretty awesome stuff here, man! Wonder how they're going to deal with being elves?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if you want to know, keep reading. This might help you a little bit, though.

Chapter 13: Telepathy

Littlefoot was waking up. He didn't know where he was, but the area he was laying in was fairly comfortable. All he wanted to do was stay where he was. Then he realized what had happened before he was knocked out. He stood up, but instead of on the usual four legs, he stood on two legs. He saw a reflective object, and reached for it, and was surprised to see that he could grab things much more easily. He picked up the object, and saw an angled face with black hair and green eyes.
   He put the mirror back down, and walked around the cave where he was sleeping. Suddenly, a section of the wall was outlined, then vanished into thin air. Where the wall was standing was Vylon.
   “Ah! You're awake. Good. I thought that you might have been asleep a little too long for my taste.” He said, walking into the chamber.
   “What happened? I was touching that dragon, then I fell asleep, and then I wake up here with a new body.” Littlefoot responded.
   “You were changed by my spell, remember? When you touched the dragon hatchling, your form was stabilized. You became an elf, if only on the outside.”
   “But where is the hatchling?”
   “In the main chamber. Argana is keeping them entertained. After all, she is their mother. She laid their eggs. Don't worry. They'll be fine. What you should be worrying about is yourself.”
   Littlefoot decided to not to respond to Vylon. Suddenly, Littlefoot felt an emptiness around him, as though his eyes were blinded by a fog that had suddenly cleared. Littlefoot felt a powerful hunger through the void, but out of fear, he recoiled and hid inside his mind.
   “I can sense your thoughts, you know? You just receded into your mind after feeling a hunger. That was just your dragon reaching out for its partner.” Vylon explained.
   “That was my dragon?” Littlefoot responded.
   “Yes. All dragons have telepathic abilities. Just like elves. In fact, you could be having a conversation with me completely by thoughts instead of words.”
   “How do I do that?”
   “Well, you felt a void when your dragon reached for you, right? Enter that void. Don't fear it. You'll soon find many things in what you thought was emptiness.”
   Littlefoot decided to do just that. He relaxed, and let his mind escape the fortress that it was hidden in. He suddenly felt lights appear, showing where living things were. The only noticeable ones were Argana, the hatchlings, Vylon, and Cera, Petrie, Ducky, and Spike.
   While Littlefoot was reaching out toward's Vylon, Spike began to stir. He stood up, and opened his mouth and said, “I can talk.”
   With this statement, Spike began to talk to Vylon about what happened. Vylon decided to let Spike know what happened by projecting the discussion between him and Littlefoot directly into Spike's mind. With that, Spike projected the thought “Thank you.” back to Vylon.
   Littlefoot was completely amazed. He had never heard Spike say more than one word at a time, yet here he was, actually having a conversation with an elf that says he will mentor us five. Littlefoot decided to talk to Vylon via thought, and succeeded in speaking with Vylon.
   One by one, the rest of the gang stirred, and one by one, Vylon told them via telepathy what he discussed with Littlefoot. Once they were all informed, Cera asked, “Where is the main chamber? What are the names of our dragons?”
   “Your dragons know their names. You must wait, though. They aren't old enough to project clear thoughts. As of now, they can only project feelings and urges.” Vylon replied. “I should have mentioned this before, but your parents are unaware of my existence. Is this correct?”
   The gan responded with a nod. Vylon then responded, “Well then. I guess I should introduce myself. Tell your parents to meet at this place as soon as you can.”
   “Wait! How will we tell our parents that we are us? We're not our original race anymore.” Petrie asked, speaking perfect English.
   “I'll make you normal again. Then you let your parents know where to go, and I'll introduce myself.” Vylon responded.
   With that, Vylon descended into each of the gang's minds, and broke through a barrier that only he felt, and the gang returned to normal with a flash of silver light. When they were back to their normal forms, they left the cave, letting Vylon know they would be back as soon as possible.
   As the children arrived at their nests, they told their parents that there was this one thing that they had to see. It took a while, but one by one, they coerced their parents to meet in front of Vylon's cave. As the day progressed, the parents arrived at the cave, but nothing happened once all were there.
   Cera's dad asked, “What was here that was so special that I came here?” in his usual attitude.
   “I think they meant me.” A voice rang out from the top of the wall. The kids looked up to see Vylon standing there. Out of nowhere, he jumped, only to be caught by Argana, who was only about his size. He rode down on her back, dismounting when she landed.
   “So, you must be these children's parents. Am I right?” Vylon asked.
   A murmur of “yes” came from the group, apparently a little worried that he knew their children. He responded, “I think it would be best if you saw what I want you to know instead of me explaining it all out.
   The parents suddenly saw a rush of colors shoot past their eyes, and they were overlooking a huge forest of green. Instead of standing on a cliff, though, they were apparently floating in mid-air.
   “This is my home. Du Weldenvarden, the ancient forest of the elves. I am an elf named Vylon, and this is why I know your children.” Vylon's voice rang out.
   With those words, a scene unfolded beneath the parents. A land of peace seemed to stretch out in all directions, showing prosperity and happiness acrosss the land. People flew upon dragons, protecting the land from harm. Suddenly, the story shifted, showing darkness, despair, and vicious creatures attacking mercilessly.
   Vylon's voice rang out again. “As of now, there is a war going on in my homeland. An evil ruler has taken control of the country of Alagaesia, and has destroyed an order known as the Dragon Riders, of which I was one of. As I see it, your children are the key to the downfall or our evil ruler. They are Dragon Riders, and that is why I must train them.”
   Vylon released the illusion, and the parents stopped seeing what happened in Alagaesia, and returned to the real world. The minute the spell was released, a slight quarrel broke out between Mr. Threehorn and Grandpa Longneck.
   “We can't let them learn. It's too dangerous.” Topsy said.
   “Yes, but would you condemn an entire race to death even though your daughter could save them just because of that?” Grandpa responded.
   “Um, excuse me, but I think that I could solve this quarrel much more easily than with logic.” Vylon said.
   “Oh? How, you elf?” Topsy responded. Vylon remained silent, but he seemed focused on something. Argana then snarled at Mr. Threehorn.
   “I wouldn't get Argana angry. She might look small, but this is because she can change her size. A dragon's size is dependent on his/her age, and Argana is an old dragon. She probably could eat you whole, if she wanted to.” Vylon responded, enjoying the fearful look on Mr. Threehorn's face. I think that Cera is getting a kick out of this, too, Vylon thought to himself.
   “Alright. You can teach her. But she better not be harmed in any way, our you'll have me to deal with.” Topsy said, trying to get the last word.
   “And if I have to deal with you, Argana will have a nice meal. Please don't make me kill you. It would be all too easy if I weren't so good natured. If you threaten me, though, I might not be so good natured.” Vylon replied, knowing that he got the last word.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. Say good-bye to the 600-word chapter. From now on, my chapters will be going into more detail. Therefore, they won't be less than 1000 words anymore.

And Chapter 14 is UP!!

Chapter 14: The Training Begins

As the grown-ups left, Mr. Threehorn was still in shock. Not only had he been out-threatened, but he was also made a fool of in front of his own daughter. That was one thing that will embarrass anybody.
   Meanwhile, back at the cave, Vylon began talking with his future pupils once more. “I just want you to know when you will see me. In the mornings, you will come here. I will transform you into elves, and the day's training can begin. While I am training you, Argana will take care of the hatchlings. If you want, you can visit them before the day's training begins and after it ends.Do you have any questions on this?”
   “Yeah. What will we be learning?” Ducky asked.
   “That is simple. Or maybe not. You'll find out tomorrow.” Vylon replied. “Now, I think that there is enough time for me to sing myself a house in the trees before you head off home. Would you like to witness how an elf makes a home? It is quite interesting.”
   The response from the group was “yes,” completely in unison, except for Spike, who just nodded.With that, Vylon went over to a group of trees. He examined the branches, the roots, and the area around the bases of the trees. Vylon began to sing in an ethereal language. The song rose and fell, and it seemed to make the gang feel alive. The trees seemed to respond to the music. Out of nowhere, branches grew out of the trees. They seemed to grow towards the other trees. They fused together, forming a connecting pathway between the trees. More and more branches behaved as such, and the trees soon formed a little house between them. The hut seemed to be multiple floors to accommodate for its small radius.
   “Would you like to come in?” Vylon asked the gang. They replied with another group “yes.” With that, Vylon opened the door, and entered the elf's house. The marveled that it seemed to be larger on the inside, but it probably was just a trick of the eyes. On the wall was a set of shelves made up mostly of cubbyholes. They ascended to the next level, which was harder than they expected because the steps were extremely steep for them, but Vylon was able to climb them with ease.
   On the second level, there was a huge opening in the wall, and aa little depression on the ground. There was also a writing desk right by the opening. There was a door right by the stairs, and the kids asked what was there. Vylon responded, “My area for washing my clothes.  I can't sew that well, I don't have the materials needed, and I only brought a limited supply. I might not know how to make clothes, but I can wash them.”
   They ascended the stairs once more, and when they reached the top of the structure, they saw an amazing view of the Great Valley. Again, there was a depression in the floor. A wooden bed frame rested by the depression, as well as a sliding wooden door. They asked again, and Vylon told them that was where he stored his clothes.
   “I'm surprised. I thought that you would have asked about the opening in the walls, or the depressions in the floor. But you seem to pay more attention to detail, and that will help you in your training. By the way, the depression is where Argana can sleep, and the openings are where I can exit and where Argana can fly in and out.”
   “How do you get out? Can you fly like Petrie?” Petrie asked.
   “Not at all. It would take too much effort for me to fly, and besides, Argana can fly for me. I can just jump down onto the branches and swing or climb down them, depending on my mood. We elves are good at climbing trees.” Vylon replied.
   “Me thinks we should get home soon. Good night everybody! Me see you tomorrow!” Petrie said, then flew out of the opening back to his nest. With that in mind, the rest of the gang decided to climb down the stairs, but Vylon decided to make things a little easier on them. He just clapped his hands, and the stairs suddenly became a slide down to the ground floor. “Don't worry,” he said, “You won't fall off the ramp. You'll get down faster if you take this, anyways. Unless you want to fall out of the opening, that is. I put a little protection on the slide so that you won't slide off. Well, off you go. I'll slide with you, if that makes you any happier.” Vylon then proceeded towards the ramp, jumped onto it, and slid down with his arms spread out. The gang followed suit, but instead of standing on the slide, they sat down and pushed themselves down it.
   The ride was short, but it was fun for them. The wind rushing past their face made them feel like they were flying. They now knew what Petrie felt when he flew, and why he liked it so much. When they reached the bottom, Vylon was already waiting for them. He said, “That might have felt like flying but it wasn't. You'll truyl experience the joy of flying when you ride with your dragon.” The gand then headed back to their nests, anxiously awaiting the next day's training.
-----
   When the gang awoke, they decided to have a quick breakfast, then they departed towards Vylon's cave. Vylon was not at the cave, though. He was standing at the base of his new home. He looked completely serious, devoid of his usually fun attitude.
   “Welcome to your training. This will be tough, and I won't train those who give up. So if you are the kind of person that gives up easily, leave now.” He said, and waited for any of them to leave. When none of them left, he looked pleased. His usual fun attitude returned. “Good, you want to be trained and you are willing to be pushed past your limits. I'll release your elven forms so that the training can commence in earnest.” Vylon then reached into the gang's minds, and released the elven form.
   “Now that you are elves, I should begin by explaining to you what I will be teaching you. I plan to make you physically, and mentally prepared for the tasks of a Dragon Rider. I think that we should go through how the days will pass by, first. I shall start you off with the Rimgar, or the Dance of Snake and Crane. It is a method of exercise that was designed to prepare Riders for combat, but is now done to keep fit and healthy by elves. I will perform the Rimgar with you, seeing as you don't know how to do it.”
   Vylon then began bending down towards his feet. The gang followed his examples one by one until they reached a point where they couldn't perform the poses anymore. By that time, they were feeling hot and sweaty, but also more prepared. Vylon then said, “I think that we have reached a good stopping point. We'll continue with the Rimgar tomorrow.
   “The next thing on my agenda is the art of swordfighting. All Dragon Riders were good swordsmen, but it was rare for excellent swordsmen to join our ranks. The method that most teachers used while teaching swordsmanship was first sparring with their students to evaluate their skill, then teaching the student how to perform certain techniques.”
   He then pulled out five staffs from a box on the side of his hut, and while handing one to each of his pupils said, “I don't need to do this, however. I know that you have never even picked up a sword in your life. Therefore, we can skip the initial sparring match and go straight into the technique teaching.” When they all had a stick, he went and grabbed a sword of magnificent craftmanship. The sheath was silver like Argana's scales, and when he unsheathed it, the blade was the same exact color. “This is my sword, Argana. Each Rider is presented a sword to match his or her dragon's color at the completion of the training. I named my twin blades Argana and Argaya, for they are sisters in fighting.”
   After he finished, he showed the gang how to hold a sword correctly. Once he knew that they had a good grip, he began showing them the basic postures. These were fairly simple, and all five students were able to master these poses quickly. “I don't want to spar with you today, only because you are a little tired from the Rimgar. Tomorrow, we will practice these postures through battle.
   “I think that we should break for lunch, don't you?” Vylon asked his students.
   “Sure. I'm hungry. How about you, Ducky?” Spike said.
   “I'm hungry, too.” Ducky replied.
   “Same here.” Littlefoot said. Cera and Petrie just nodded.
   “Excellent! Just letting you know, I won't release the elven form for lunch, with few exceptions. The only way you can eat normally would be for you to release the elven form yourselves, but that won't happen for a while.” Vylon said. “Why don't you come in and eat? I've added some furniture on the ground level for eating.”
   He and his students entered the tree hut. Vylon went towards the cubbyholes, and pulled out some bowls with vegetable soup. He placed them in front of his students. “Try it. It's good.” Vylon said. Cera was the first to try the soup, and she found it quite delicious. One by one, with Spike being the last, they tried their soups, and ate it until the bowl was empty. Surprisingly, they knew how to use the utensils that Vylon gave them, even though they have never used them before.
   “I think we have a little bit of time for discussion before we go into other subjects that I have planned for today. Any questions?” Vylon asked.
   “Yes. Where are our hatchlings? You said that Argana was taking care of them, but what do dragons usually eat?” Littlefoot asked.
   “Dragons are actually more like sharpteeth. They eat meat. However, I recently discovered a way dragons could live of plants. Also, they are probably playing somewhere. You might have not heard, but last night, I sent out a giant telepathic wave saying that Argana and the hatchlings are not harmful, and should be treated as guests. Your parents also got a special message. I won't say what that message was, but the trees here are actually the kind that dragons can live off of.
   “I think that we've spent enough time chatting. Back to training. The next thing I will teach is logic, or the art of rational thinking. There is only one way to teach this is through debate. I will ask you a question. I will give you as much time as you want, but I would like an answer and reason to your answer. The first question I will ask you is this; Why do you fear sharpteeth? I don't want a response now. When you think you have an answer, tell me.
   “After logic, I planned the subject of history. This is vast, and I think that it would be best taught in the cave. I have an area set up for you there.” Vylon led them to the cave. As he approached the cave door, he realized that he still needed a key. “Oh! That reminds me. You need keys into the cave. If you ever want a scroll to read, I have a variety of scrolls and books in there.” He pulled out a pouch, and emptied the pouch. Inside there were five miniature stars attached to a circle of rope. “Just put these on, and walk through the wall where you see the outline. This is how I get in and out of the cave when I close it.” He put his, which was in his hand, around his neck, and then walked towards the wall. Instead of pressing against the wall, he went straight through. The gang followed suit.
   Inside, they saw Vylon leading them into a chamber. The chamber he was in was the same chamber that they awoke in the day before. The beds were still there. Vylon clapped his hands when Littlefoot, the last to enter, was in the room. The front half of the five beds rose on a pillar of stone, forming a desk to sit at. Cera was the first to sit down. Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike followed suit.
   “Just letting you know, this is a vast subject. Don't expect to grasp it at first glance. Ask if you need clarification.” Vylon said. He then began explaining the origins of magic. He told about the Grey Folk, who created the ancient language and gave it its magical abilities. Vylon also made comments about the events. On the subject of the origins of the ancient language, he said, “When we get to magic, you will understand this better. That is, if you can perform magic.” He continued, explaining how the dwarves found their homes in the mountains. When he reached the explanation of Farthen Dur and Isidar Mithrim, the Star Sapphire, he pulled out a slate slab covered with ink. “I always keep these in here. These slabs are used for making fairths, which are images created in a magical fashion. They are great for showing what something looks like, but it is from the maker's view. This is how the Star Sapphire looks like.” He said a spell in his ethereal voice, and the ink on the slab began to change instantly. When the fairth was complete, Vylon showed the fairth to the gang. On the slab was a giant red circle, but it seemed to refract and bend the light like a gemstone. The stone was expertly crafted, and it reminded the gang of a very beautiful flower. “This is the dwarves' treasure. It is priceless, but that is not why it is precious to them. It is the ultimate example of their craftmanship.
   “I think that we have reached a good stopping point for today. I think that you are able to go home now, but you can see the hatchlings first if you want.” Vylon said, and escorted them outside. Argana and the hatchlings were already outside. The students quickly asked Vylon about their dragons, to which Vylon replied, “You should talk to them. Send them emotions through your thoughts. Let them experience what you have experienced. It helps them grow mentally.” The gang tried this, sending emotions and pictures to their hatchlings. They responded with obvious delight, squeaking happily.
   Vylon released the elven form, reverting the gang back into dinosaurs. They bade Argana and Vylon farewell, then went back towards their ususal meeting places to relax and talk.
   “I'm surprised that they aren't asking questions. I was expecting curiosity from them, but they seem to understand what I am telling them. It might be a by-product of the transformation, but I have to think.” Vylon told Argana.
   “Be grateful they aren't being too curious. These hatchlings would be hopless if I weren't around to protect them.” Argana replied.
-----
A/N: I am holding the next chapter for ransom. If you have a FF.net account, please review my story. When I have been satisfied with the reviews, I shall release the next chapter unharmed. I can wait as long as I want to, but can you?

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Pretty coll chapter, but I did notice Vylon seemed a bit cold-hearted with Mr. Threehorn. Just an observation. I'll make sure to put aother story review on FF.net for you...if in the future you can help me get reviews for my story. Deal? (I'll still review your story even if you say no)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Sep 11 2008 on  03:36 PM
Pretty coll chapter, but I did notice Vylon seemed a bit cold-hearted with Mr. Threehorn.
I'm a spelling freak, so I have to correct you on your spelling. It is spelled "cool," not "coll."

Now, about that. I tried to make it so that Mr. Threehorn couldn't say "no." Vyon, being a mind-reader, could see that Mr. Threehorn wouldn't bend easily, so he had to push hard to make Mr. Threehorn give in. It did mean a little cold-hearted attitude, but that is how I wrote it.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Good going with the chapter.

You're really able to give the spirit that we're involvedin the story.

Keep at it!  ;)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I will. As I said, I have the next chapter. But I'm holding it for ransom. In reviews, that is.
Anyways, I have a plan to increase my hits/visitors. On September 15th, I am going to move the fan-fiction into the "Eragon" section. Then, five days after I make the move, the new book Brisingr comes out. The influx of people to that forum will be significant. Then, since my fan-fiction is there, I should get more people to read it, and therefore more people to write reviews.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You know what, I think that you should get a treat for reviewing the fan-fic. I won't release this on FF.net, but I will release it here. A GoF exclusive.

-----

Chapter 15: An Attack

The children were walking home, discussing the day's events. They felt a little sore after the Rimgar, but it seemed to make them stronger than they were in the morning. They felt like they could run faster, noticeably faster than before. They tried to remember what the history of the land of Alagaesia was like, and the postures for swordfighting. However, nothing was more on their mind than Vylon's question. “Why are sharpteeth feared?”
   “I don't know. They are scary to us.” Cera said.
   “That's right. It is, it is.” Ducky replied
   “I don't think that was what he wanted, though. I mean, he might have wanted to know why they scare us.” Littlefoot said.
   “Me think so, too. He say he want explanation, but me can't explain why fast-biters scary.” Petrie said.
   The discussion became heated quickly. Littlefoot kept on saying that they had to look beyond what they thought and look deeper into their way of life. Cera, on the other hand, was persistent in saying that all he wanted was that fast-biters are scary. Ducky sided with Cera, while Petrie sided with Littlefoot. After a while, they decided to just play around instead of argue on they had to think about.
   The general consensus was tag, so to make things fair, Littlefoot was the one to be it first. He gave the rest of his friends a little time to scatter, then he began chasing after Cera. He wanted to be as fair as he could. Chasing Ducky would have been too easy. Cera quickly noticed that Littlefoot was on her tail, so she began running in a complicated weaving pattern. At every turn, she tried to throw Littlefoot off her tail, but he was very persistent. He kept on following her. She just couldn't shake him.
   Suddenly, she had an idea. She thought that she could turn around, then run right past Littlefoot without him ever touching her. So, when she stopped, Littlefoot thought she was up to something. She began charging at Littlefoot, and Littlefoot realized this would be a great time to tag her. He reached hit tail to where she would be, and when she ran past, he tapped her with his tail and exlcaimed, “Tag! You're it!”
   She turned around, and she decided to find someone else to tag instead of Littlefoot. She tried to find Petrie, but she realized that she wouldn't be able to reach him. Instead, she began searching for Spike, but he was quite elusive for his size. However, she was diligent. Soon she found Spike, and gave chase. Spike, however, was quick to hide again. Cera kept on trying to find Spike, but once she did, hid again.
   An idea hit her. She could search for Petrie, Ducky, and Spike with her mind. She looked for Spike first, and she saw exactly where he was. Since he was the first person she noticed, she decided to go for him. However, instead of actually going for him directly, she tried to sneak up. She was successfully able to reach his hiding spot without being noticed, and she confidently went, “Tag! You're it, Spike!”
   The game continued like this. Soon, everyone was using their mind to find targets. It almost took the fun out of it. After about ten rounds, they decided to stop playing and walk around the Great Valley. They went past the caves that they adventured in when they found Chomper's egg. As they went past, there was movement in the shadows. A fast-biter looked out of the cave, and saw the children. He thought that they would be an easy meal, so he called out to the rest of the pack. There were about ten fast-biters in the pack. They decided to go now, while the children were alone.
   The fast-biters ran out of the cave and into the nearest grove of trees for protection and camoflauge. They hid in the trees, sneaking closer and closer to the unsuspecting children. They decided to pounce, and came rushing out of the forest. The children saw the fast-biters, screamed out in fear, and began running. The fast-biters were fast, though. They were close to the children when the leading fast-biter flew back. Where the fast-biter was only a moment ago was Vylon, his fist extended.
   “Don't worry. I'll take care of these.” He told his pupils. Suddenly, he vanished, only to appear behind the next fast-biter in line. He grabbed the fast-biter by the neck, spun around, and threw it at another fast-biter. He suddenly stopped moving. In a flash, all the fast-biter were taken out. In that flash, it appeared that Vylon was beating each of the fast-biter at the same time.
   The parents arrived shortly after Vylon finished the last of the pack.
   “What happened here? We heard the children screaming, and rushed over here.” Grandpa Longneck asked.
   “I took care of them. They aren't a threat anymore. Apparently, I also heard the children screaming, and ran over here as quickly as I could. It was very easy. The first one was punched back. The second one was thrown into the third one. The rest were taken out with my light step.” Vylon explained.
   “Well, thank you for protecting our children, Vylon.” Grandma Longneck said.
   “Don't mention it. Your children are the key to a peaceful future in Alagaesia. I can't let our one hope for overthrowing the king die that easily.”
   As the parents left, the gang was amazed by how easily Vylon defeated the fast-biters. “Are you sure you want to know? You'll have to be able to use magic to be able to do it, and it won't be like casting ususal spells. It took me a few years to develop that technique.”
   “Yes!” the gang said in unison, with noticeable impatience.
   “Very well. I focus agic to the area directly below my feet. This allows me to move at amazingly fast speeds. With enough skill, I could have taken out the entire pack in one light step. However, as of now, I'm tired, so I can't reach my full potential. I had to take out a few before I could finish the rest off.” Vylon replied. “If you are one of those Dragon Riders that is proficient in magic, I'll show you how to do it.”
   “How many Riders usually can use magic?” Cera asked.
   “Maybe about one in five Riders can use magic. That means that probably only one of you can use magic. I might be wrong, though. Now, you should get home. Look at the sky. It's already dark.” Vylon said, getting them to their nests.
   Vylon decided to go back to his hut. He decided to walk and admire the scenery of the Valley. It marvelled him that such a place could exist. But, then again, he lived in Ellesmera in Du Weldenvarden for most of his non-Dragon Rider life.
   “Argana. I'm back! Where are the hatchlings?” he called out using his mind.
   “They are currently sleeping in your bed. They are quite comfortable there, you know.” She replied.
   “And you?”
   “I'm just flying around. Where are you?”
   “I'm right at the hut. Can you fly into the second floor? I don't want to disturb the hatchlings.”
   “Sure. I'll sleep there with you for tonight.”
   As Vylon climbed the stairs to his study, he marvelled at how much his life has changed ever since Argana hatched for him.
   He became a Dragon Rider, the only one with two gedw”y ignasia; one on each palm. He was also the only Rider to master the dual-sword style of swordsmanship. For that matter, he was the only Rider to bear two swords. Now he has defied reality and travelled back in time, and is teaching five Riders simultaneously.
   He saw Argana fly through the opening. She was large enough to shelter him with her wing, so he sat down, rested his head on her side, and fell asleep as her wing descended.
-----
   Vylon felt the presence of Ducky first. She was a while away, so he had enough time to do his daily ablusions before meeting the children outside. He entered the chamber that he said was for washing his clothes. He turned on the taps, and rested in the warm water in the depression in the wood. He got out, and took one of the towels that he had. He climbed the stairs and picked out his clothes for the day. He put them on, then woke up Argana and the hatchlings. Argana flew up to the third floor, and helped carry three of the hatchlings down. Vylon took the pink and purple hatchlings and carried them down the stairs on his shoulder.
   He walked out the door with enough time to spare waiting for his students. They arrived at around the time they had to. Vylon let them have a little fun with their hatchlings and share thoughts. Then, he transformed the pupils into elves. He helped them perform the Rimgar this morning. Each pose that they had difficulty with, he helped them by giving them step-by-step instructions on how to enter the poses. At the conclusion of the day's Rimgar practice, Vylon said, “Good job. You currently have achieved the first third of the first of four levels of the Rimgar. Just letting you know, it gets tougher from here on out.”
   He then fetched them their wooden swords, and they began a sparring match. Vylon, wielding two wooden swords, proved to be on a totally different level in terms of skill, speed, and strength than his students. Even though there were five of them and only one of him, he was able to fend off every attack they threw at him while excecuting an offensive that wasn't strong or fast enough to get past the gang's defenses, but it tested them physically. Vylon decided that they have had enough practice for the day.
   “I think that we've done enough of the physical aspect of being a Rider for today. I'll give you until lunch to relax or work on the logic problem I gave you yesterday.
   When Vylon said that they could work on the logic problem, the debate that started yesterday began again. Cera was still firm that Vylon wanted just a straightfoward answer, and Littlefoot wanted to give a more thought-out answer with a deeper meaning. Spike, on the other hand, decided to ask Vylon what he wanted the answer to be like. Vylon responded, “Good! You're thinking logically. Instead of talking amongst yourselves, you decided to ask me for help since I know what you want to know, I am a useful source of information. Well, Cera is going in the wrong direction on this problem. Littlefoot, on the other hand, has got the idea, but needs to implement it.”
   “Thank you, Vylon.”
   “Um, about what to call me. I don't want to interrupt your heated discussion, but I think I must let you know one thing. When you are talking to me, please refer to me as Master Vylon or Master. This only applies to when I'm training you. When I'm not training you, I”m not technically your master, so you don't need to be so formal.” Vylon said.
   “Now, I know you four were having an intense conversation, but I would say that it is lunchtime, don't you?” Vylon asked.
   “Sure. Let's eat!” the group said in unison.
   They entered Vylon's house again, and this time, he pulled out a fruit salad as a meal. While eating, Spike asked Vylon, “How do you get these plants? Did you bring them with you, or did you grow them? If you grew them, how?”
   “I sing to the tree. It bears the fruit I need, and grows it. That is where I get my food.” Vylon replied. “Well, I think that we should get back to history.”
   They walked back to the cave, where Vylon began explaining what happened after Isidar Mithrim was built, how the elves arrived, then he stopped. “I apologize, but I don't like this historical event. It was too great a war and it never should have happened. However, I must cover it. It is known as Du Fyrn Skulblaka, or the elves' war with the dragons.” He said,and found it hard to continue the lesson. “Apparently, I can't say anymore on Du Fyrn Skulblaka today. We'll wrap this lesson up and proceed to something I didn't show you yesterday. Follow me.” He began to move to the main chamber, and walked out the front door. Outside, he went to the area where they normally performed the Rimgar. There were these large bowls.
   “Fill these bowls with water. That is all I have to say. If you work at it and you'll succeed. If you give up then get out of my sight.” Vylon said. The gang decided to use the water jugs that came with the bowl. They went to the Thundering Falls to get water, then poured it into the bowl. The water drained ouf of the bowl. All Vylon did was smile. They kept trying and trying, but it was fruitless as the water drained out of the bowls. The gang was getting frustrated. This made Vylon happy, and he smiled even more.
   “Why are you happy? You've given us an impossible task.” Cera shouted at him.
   “Relax, relax. All will become clear to you.” Vylon replied in a cool manner.
   Ducky was feeling extremely frustrated. She was given an impossible task, and her teacher was not willing to tell her why. The thing that frustrated her most, however, was the bowl itself, and how it would always empty itself. She thought of water. Suddenly, she feels a little dent in her mind. It seemed to be a part of her, but not like the rest of her. She reached for this, but it was blocked by a barrier. She drove into the barrier, and energy coarsed through her body. As this happened, she thought of one word.
   “Adurna.” She said, and suddenly, her bowl began to fill with water. This time, however, the water didn't leak out. Soon the bowl was filled to the brim with water. Vylon was dumbfounded.
   “Amazing. I thought that this was impossible to complete on the first day. It took me two weeks before I could accomplish this task.” He said.
   “This task is possible? How?” Littlefoot asked.
   “The answer is magic. This is how Riders were taught how to use magic. The truth is, I lied about Dragon Riders and magic. All Riders can use magic. So this was to release your magical self. This is a way that makes Riders more powerful magic users than normal magicians.” Vylon said.
   “I think that we've spent enough time training for today. Why don't you head home for the day?” he said.

--

“Don't worry. I'll take care of these.” He told his pupils. Suddenly, he vanished, only to appear behind the next fast-biter in line. He grabbed the fast-biter by the neck, spun around, and threw it at another fast-biter. He suddenly stopped moving. In a flash, all the fast-biter were taken out. In that flash, it appeared that Vylon was beating each of the fast-biter at the same time.
By the way, I got this from the anime Bleach. It was too tempting to resist.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Apparently, my strategy worked for a day. Then it hasn't worked that well.

In light of the new Inheritance Cycle book, I caved in. I let out the chapter on FF.net

This time, however, I decided to ask people to review. I am currently at a writer's block, and I couldn't think of a way to write around all of my schoolwork. So I've asked for people to give me ideas for the next chapter.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great fight scene! Sorry about not reviewing lately. I haven't had a whole lot of internet time. Keep it up!

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I understand. Same thing here. I've found a way to fix my writer's block. I've started a new fan-fic, Tales of a Dragonkeeper to reduce my inability to come up with new chapters. I've also figured out a plot for the next chapter.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have thought about the next chapter, and I have reached a fork in the road. I can't decide whether so show what Argana and the hatchlings do while Vylon trains the gang, or whether have Bron appear. I mentioned that he was heading towards the Great Valley in the first few chapters, but while I was having the Gang find the crystals, I forgot about him. Now, after re-reading my story, I remembered about what I had said and I need to decide which one I should do. Both will be done, but I want to know what you want first; Bron's herd arriving, or Argana with the hatchlings?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm, it has been a year since I last updated this thread. Sadly, I still don't have a new chapter, but I do have some good news. I currently am working on the next chapter, and once I get it finished (hopefully by the end of the year), it will be up.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's good to hear. It's been a year since I've updated, too (not counting my editing efforts, which have been partially sucessful). I patiently await the next chapter.