The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Music and the LBT franchise - Preferences?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Over the years I've realized that there's one key aspect of the LBT sequels that really takes them above-and-beyond for me - one thing that I truly love about the overall presentation of the LBT sequels more than anything else: Their soundtracks!

I'm honestly placing The LBT Sequels' musical scores among both my favorite orchestral pieces AND favorite film scores of all time. They're the kind of thing I wish I could have had a chance to play in Band class in school. They're the kind of music I can put in a playlist and they're always welcome. When I think of LBT sequels, my fondest emotions always seem to connect back to their soundtracks.

There was a fantastic amount of effort put in by Michael Tavera for the sequels' soundtracks and I deeply admire his work. I also have a massive shoutout to give to Tavera for letting the community enjoy his score outside the films by releasing them publically, free-of-charge to anyone who asks. Thank you Ludichris for discovering this and sharing your files with us once again!

-----

Ultimately, while I absolutely love the first film's soundtrack and admire it very much as the masterpieces they are by the late James Horner, it truly does come down to the soundtrack in the sequels that I have an undying love for. Those soundtracks make the sequels what they are to me. They turned a series of fine movies into something incredibly memorable to me and I just wanted to show them, and Mr. Tavera, the respect I feel they deserve.

I'm just curious: When thinking about the music from the series, what aspect of the music warms your heart and has the greatest impact on you? I set up a little poll in this topic to get an idea.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
While I do love the music in the first movie by the late James Horner and do like that they re-used it in the early sequels and wish they still did.
I mean to this day 20 year after I've seen the first movie, the whispering winds track still has me genuinely fighting back the tears.

I also like some of the sequel music too. E.G. Ali's theme, Sharptooth encounter and the long neck herd theme ( from LBT 4)

And I find it a shape that some sequel music as well as some of the music from the first movie was never released.

Something I noticed from re-watching the sequels is this. When they use music from the first movie it sometimes sounds a little different . I think they might have made  covers of some of the James's Horner tracks as well as re-using the actually tracks. E.G. When they use the Whispering winds track (the part used were Littlefoot's mum died) in parts of LBT 5 6 7. It sounds more like it's been played on a harmonica.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
The musical aspect of the sequels is part of what drew me to The Land Before Time in the first place. The overall soundtrack is so beautiful it sometimes hides the unavoidable flaws that most of the sequels had.

As much as I love the score from the original movie, I find myself floating away towards blissful childhood memories every time I list to Michael Tavera's music.

Some of the songs from the sequels are also heartwarming and touching. When I was little, before falling asleep I always sang the songs from the sequels (the ones that I liked at least) in my head, and imagined Littlefoot and the gang singing them. On Monday I'd sing the songs from The Great Valley Adventure, and so on until Saturday where I'd sing the songs from Stone of Cold Fire. They were, and still are great lullabyes.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The musical aspect of the sequels is part of what drew me to The Land Before Time in the first place. The overall soundtrack is so beautiful it sometimes hides the unavoidable flaws that most of the sequels had.

I think that sums it up perfectly for me. The music is SO good that I'll put up with some of the less-than-stellar aspects of the sequels just because of how beautifully the music compliments the series.

As much as I love the score from the original movie, I find myself floating away towards blissful childhood memories every time I list to Michael Tavera's music.
I'm with you there too. Tavera's score really holds a special place in my heart. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There is not one single category of music in the LBT franchise that I could put over the others. Let me try to say a few things about each category...
  • The instrumental soundtrack of the first movie: Well, what else could I say about this? It's a masterpiece through and through! I occasionally listen to it, either to fall asleep (I always listen to appropriate music when I go to sleep :exactly) or just when I'm working, studying, writing or just relaxing because it is simply so wonderful to listen to plus it wakes the nostalgia in me :p
  • The instrumental soundtrack of the sequels: Well, I love Tavera's work! I probably listen to the sequel's soundtracks even more often, particularly to the soundtracks of LBT 8 & 12. In fact, I listened to them two days ago!
  • If We Hold On Together: This song has a wonderful message. The melody is awesome and Diana Ross just performs the song very well. I also like that version Anndi and Aria sung though :)
  • The songs: Well, I've talked about the songs in another thread (couldn't find that one, don't have time for a long search :p) already but let me summarize my opinion on them. A few songs are awesome (like Best Friends, Family, Things Change, Always There etc.), many songs are good and enjoyable and only very few songs (not counting the Tv-serues, that is...) aren't likable enough to include them into a playlist. Overall, the LBT songs are something I'm glad it has been made (I know there are people on here who generally dislike the songs, I generally approve of them!). If there are future movies to be made (wouldn't say that's very likely but possible :)) I hope they stick to including songs, though I hope they will be better than the ones in LBT 14 <_<

That's my two cents on it
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I thought the music was decent. I liked a lot of the sequel songs since they had a very good message in them. The melody in them where pretty good and decent. Not every song in the movies where good. Some made me wanna get my ears sowed shut. Some where horrible that shouldn't have been made at all. God those where painful to sit through. If We Hold On Together was amazing and the only song that actually made me very teary eyed. The beat was perfect and the lyrics where amazing and very well done. Diana Ross did a very good job singing the song. It fit the first movie perfectly. And this is my two cents on the subject.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Horner's original soundtrack is just... perfect. While Tavera did a really good job with some of the later soundtracks but when you compare them to Whispering Winds, Great Migration or Discovery of the Great Valley... I cannot say there's really competition. The original LBT score is close to my favorite soundtrack, up there with Shore's LOTR music. :wow

If We Hold on Together is a phenomenal song, summarizing the franchise's main themes into a three-minute, very thoughtful song. However, it's only one song and I'd say it's pretty artificial to separate it from the soundtrack. No offense.

Tavera has done many memorable, nostalgic songs like Night Flowers, the "Cavern theme" in JOTB and the musical version of If We Hold on Together . Many of them are able to define the films but the music when Littlefoot receives the tree star, when he chases his own shadow, the ending and nearly every other part of the first soundtrack is just so emotional, so great... IMO, you can't really compete with it.

And the sequel songs. While some of them could be worthy of the first film, some of them like Girls and Dads and Mad Song...  x(cera

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I actually had no idea Tavera's score was available until now, but it turns out YouTube is a wonderful thing! Thus far I've actually noticed some interesting parallels between his compositions and those of John Williams's Jurassic Park score. I suppose, given the time these were composed, this actually makes a lot of sense.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sadly only a few songs are on YT. It would be nice if all of the sequel scores were put into soundtrack formats and put to YouTube but to my knowledge, none of the sequel soundtracks were ever published. Without them, posting all of the songs there would be quite a task.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
They have all the songs from the movie on YouTube I found out and happy to see that as well.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I was talking about the instrumental music, not the sung songs . Sorry if I failed to clarify.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ludicris has all of them available on his dropbox for free download. Just look around in the projects forum, the topic about it should be there :p
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah okay that's okay good to know someone has the Instmental songs available

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I voted for "The instrumental soundtrack of the first movie and the sequels equally". Since I grew up with the sequels as much as the first movie, I find all of the music an endearing piece of my childhood.

The "If We Hold On Together" song comes a close second, though.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Mar 2 2017 on  11:28 PM
I voted for "The instrumental soundtrack of the first movie and the sequels equally". Since I grew up with the sequels as much as the first movie, I find all of the music an endearing piece of my childhood.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. It's both that sense of nostalgia and the true beauty of it all that just melts me.  :angel

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I absolutely love James Horner's soundtrack, it is really awesome! But Michael Tavera's music is really good as well. I'd say I love them equally, due to the fact that I watched the first five sequels with the original movie at the same time.

"If We Hold On Together" is THE best song. It sounds really good. The sequel's songs don't do so well though. Some are amazing like the song of the original, particularly It Takes All Sorts, Always There, Beyond The Mysterious Beyond, and Things Change. Some of the others are just annoying to me.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree about the music even if Horner's music is just too great for Tavera to match. I also like his music but when compared to the original soundtrack, there's no competition. Also, there's nothing than can match If We Hold on Together but I'd add Bestest Friends, Family and No One Has to Be Alone to your great songs list. There are very few songs in the series I really hate, the rest are just more or less harmless, imo.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Michael Tavera instrumental version of If We Hold On Together is amazing. I love that it played in LBT 2-6, and I think others too. It's also in the end credits of LBT 4 and 6. :)  :cry
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You're right. That small piece of music always makes the scene one of the film's best and brings the emotional feeling by itself. That is easily Tavera's finest work even if it was based on Horner's score. That song is good enough for the original soundtrack!  :DD

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
He also did a version of 02:50 - 03:40, it's the first time that the Allosaurus chases the gang in LBT 6 in the Redwood Forest. It sounds a little bit different. I suggest you check out the scene and listen to that part in the soundtrack to hear the differences.