The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What makes topics die?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Meaning are you the last one to make a comment and no one talks about the topic ever again?

That's what I noticed about myself :p

EDIT: changed title

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I guess it happends to everyone from time to time.
Myself, I don't know.
Opps, thread just died!  :lol:
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No you didn't! I repiled! :lol

I guess so...but it may happen more to some people than others :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't aim to kill of threads. But who is the one to kill a thread anyway, the one who posted the last message or the many who didn't respond to that last message anymore?

I guess it depends on the content of that last message :p

stars

• Spike
    • View Profile
I would think the reason why it happens is because someone may not know what to say or may not want to talk about it anymore or forgot about it there could be different reasons why this may happen.
It dose not really happen to me a lot but it did and i dont mind i like being the last one to reply sometimes.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If you don't want to kill threads, just read your message before you post it and look at it from another members point of view.  How would they respond to that.  If the only thing they can really say is "yeah, that's true" then you probably just killed the thread. :p

NOTE:  I'm not saying that you do that or anything, but it's one thing to try to avoid.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I must be the thread killer then because there's a good chance up to 30% of the posts on this board, the last reply is mine. :p

Too many variables in these equations to know why some topics die and some don't.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jun 26 2008 on  02:20 PM
I must be the thread killer then because there's a good chance up to 30% of the posts on this board, the last reply is mine. :p

Too many variables in these equations to know why some topics die and some don't.
I am curious, I mean, I respect that you needed to change the title of the topic, however, I honestly don't see the issue as to why. Could you explain that please?

Please don't be offended, I'm just curious. :huh:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I am curious, I mean, I respect that you needed to change the title of the topic, however, I honestly don't see the issue as to why. Could you explain that please?

Please don't be offended, I'm just curious. 
What we're doing is trying to present this topic in a more positive light, to encourage discussion and discourage negativity. :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jun 28 2008 on  05:05 PM

Please don't be offended, I'm just curious.
What we're doing is trying to present this topic in a more positive light, to encourage discussion and discourage negativity. :)
Hmm...that makes sense :) Thanks.

stars

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 26 2008 on  05:10 PM
If you don't want to kill threads, just read your message before you post it and look at it from another members point of view.  How would they respond to that.  If the only thing they can really say is "yeah, that's true" then you probably just killed the thread. :p

NOTE:  I'm not saying that you do that or anything, but it's one thing to try to avoid.
Thanks for bring that up it was helpful advice to make a good conversation continue on.  :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In threads I've had it happen a few times, in chats or chat rooms I've seen it happen with me many times.  Where I post something that seems to fit in, and yet the conversation stops dead for minutes at a time.

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
some topics die because they have been discussed to the point where there is nothing more to talk about, which is more like the topic "ending" rather than "dying".  Other times, people just don't wish to discuss something or mean to wait until later and just forget.  In some cases, like with the rpg I am in, someone will get busy and will not be able to reply.  By the time they ae able to post, everyone has moved to a different rpg and no longer wishes to continue the old one.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
i think Grievous has it spot on. people generally lose interest in some topics after awhile, if it has been around for a long time and been discussed in depth.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In threads I've had it happen a few times, in chats or chat rooms I've seen it happen with me many times.
During MSN chats there are certain "gap filler" phrases which I think often signal that the writer doesn't really know what to say anymore on a particular topic. "I see" is one of those phrases.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
There are some who come and just look at the newest topics of the day.  As you probably know, there is a type of JavaScript that marks the topics you haven't viewed since last reply as lit up (in a brighter color).  I've noticed that when I'm doing this, sometimes topics I haven't viewed yet are bright colored and then when I reply to a thread some of the ones that were bright colored before aren't anymore.  Because of this, some may be thinking they've seen the topic when in fact they haven't or they might not notice it in the first place if it's not bright.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 29 2008 on  10:05 AM
In threads I've had it happen a few times, in chats or chat rooms I've seen it happen with me many times.
During MSN chats there are certain "gap filler" phrases which I think often signal that the writer doesn't really know what to say anymore on a particular topic. "I see" is one of those phrases.
And my famous "Hmm"

Yea.. Most of the time I'm kinda like that on msn.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
People don't kill topics...
I KILL TOPICS! Muahahaha! :lol  :lol:

And my famous "Hmm"
Yea.. Most of the time I'm kinda like that on msn.
Yeah, I know what you mean.  I'm kind of bad for that on MSN, too.  I can sometimes "kill" MSN topics if I'm distracted, my mind is wandering, I'm working on something, etc. :P:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jun 29 2008 on  12:47 PM
I KILL TOPICS! Muahahaha! :lol  :lol:
XD  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol