The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is the original screenplay available anywhere?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
As you know: due to the invention of the internet: you can now purchase the original screenplays and scripts to some movies. So, has anyone ever seen the original screenplay, or, at least, a copy of the script.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I've been looking for the script for a long time, but all I got so far were two files with information for the press that were issued when the movie was published. There is very little of interest in those files. Mainly lists of the people involved in the production, short bios of some of them. And very little about the content of the movie itself. The most interesting aspect of those files is the fact they include black and white pictures of a deleted scene (from Littlefoot's early discovery of the Great Valley).
If anyone ever found the text of the script I would be craving to read it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Nuts. Well, I suppose if there was a script of it to be found, you would have been the one to find it, Malte. Thanks for the input.

And what the heck! Show us those two files you mention! It's something.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just checked eBay and found zilch.  In other words, nothing.  Sorry. :cry2  :(

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Stinks, doesn't it? This makes me wonder if there's ever going to be a LBT: Special Edition DVD since Bluth really doesn't even seem to be trying to put much out there to try to get some interest around it.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Kind of hard to strike interest and drive a project like a special edition DVD when you don't hold the copyrights to your characters any longer.

I've looked for screenplays too and haven't seen any...not even screenplays of the film as we know it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It seems the only chance of a script being available, is if a fan or user creates one from the original dialogue.  I have found a similar problem, trying to locate sheet music of the original James Horner score.  I can't say I've looked for a LBT script, but if no one here can find it, there probably isn't one available to the Public  :(
I would consider taking on the task of writing one up based on the dialogue and subtitles from the original film, but
1) I have too many projects right now as it is  :D
2) I'm not sure how useful something like that would be, as most people here basically know the original dialogue from memory  :lol but I could certainly get around to it if there was sufficient interest in, say, a web page or document file containing the script to the film.  If you would like to see such a script, reply to this post, PM me, MSN me (when I get my internet back, tomorrow), or e-mail me letting me know.  The more responses I get, the higher-priority I shall make that task.

I obviously have way too much time on my hands, but I love to help out the LBT community any way I can :wow

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It seems the only chance of a script being available, is if a fan or user creates one from the original dialogue.
I suppose that wouldn't be quite what we are looking for would it? We can all check out the words they use in the movie and I daresay many of us know them by heart anyway.
As far as I'm concerned, such an original script would be interesting for details about the scenes that were cut out later on and possibly remarks on scenes which caused some speculation (e.g. did sharptooth injure his eye seriously during the pursuit of Littlefoot so revenge might have been a point for him to hang on the heels of Littlefoot and the others the way he does?).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, Bluth should have kept a hold of the rights. Honestly, just because Spielberg and Lucas made him mad: he just backed out of anything to do with LBT from there on in. Makes me wonder just how "dedicated" the man is.

Nope. A fan made script would not be what I'm looking for.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Makes me wonder just how "dedicated" the man is.
I don't blame Bluth. He worked on many projects many of which were much more his own idea than the land before time was. I understand that he may hold "his own" projects dearer than something he was asked to make by others. I'm afraid the work on LBT was quite frustrating for him (the disagreements with Spielberg and Lucas, the shortcomings of the place where they produced it etc.). It is quite a pity for us, but I don't suppose Bluth is a land before time "fan".

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, and all the work that was "his own" did so well. *sarcastic tone* My, what *ahem* masterpieces "Rock-a-Doodle", "All Dogs Go to Heaven", "Thumblina", "A Troll in Central Park", "The Pebble and the Penquin", and "Anastacia" all were.  :rolleyes: Honestly, the only two films that he ever made without Spielberg's help that are worth anything were "The Secret of NIMH" and "Titan A.E." (and he was asked by someone else to do the latter as well).

Note: I'm not getting on your back, Malte, I'm getting on Bluth's.
I know that came out pretty harsh, but that was not my intent. Its just that the only two films that could ever be said to have brought Bluth closer to his goal of reviving the ol' animation from Disney's time were "An American Tail", "The Land Before Time", and "Titan E.A." (Two/thirds of that being courtesy of Spielberg.)

My point: I think Bluth gave up on "The Land Before Time" too soon.

Its a shame the original screenplay isn't available. It's probably rotting somewhere next to a toilet, waiting to be used for you-know-what after the toiler paper is runs out.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My point: I think Bluth gave up on "The Land Before Time" too soon.
I agree to that.
Yes, and all the work that was "his own" did so well. *sarcastic tone* My, what *ahem* masterpieces "Rock-a-Doodle", "All Dogs Go to Heaven", "Thumblina", "A Troll in Central Park", "The Pebble and the Penquin", and "Anastacia" all were.
It may be a part of human nature to value something you did "all by yourself" higher than what was created with the assistance of others. Reading his article in his Toon Talk magazine on land before time it is obvious that Bluth, from the very begining, strongly disliked the idea of having to "involve" Spielberg and Lucas more than in case of "An American Tail" (as Spielberg had demanded).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Even if you've gone to donbluth.com and read some of the question/replies in that section, Bluth and Goldman are not sequel people.  Walt Disney was not a sequel person (see a connection)?  So, if Bluth "gave up" on LBT as you've stated, its not because he didn't care, its because that he's not one to make another story with the same characters over again.  That's just the way he worked.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not talking about sequels. I'm talking about his original vision. He gave up all rights to LBT just like that, never to bother with the film again.

He would do well to listen to George Lucas' inmortal words: "films are never completed, they are just abandoned." LBT is such a film.

About his disliking of Spielberg being involved "An American Tail". That movie probably would have met "The Secret of NIMH"'s fate at the boxoffice without Mr. Spielberg's intervention.

It seems to me that Bluth needs to stop looking the gift-horse in the mouth.