The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Good ol' Jim Hill....

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1857

LBT gets an honorable mention.  The guy who worked on this is right....it just didn't work for something that looked so darned good for the first five minutes.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Agreed.

"Dinosaur" was certainly an interesting idea, but I just wish it had more entertainment value, as stated in the article.  Any entertainment that was present was very "pop-culture".  For example, the whole love interest between Aladar and the female (I can't remember her name; I haven't seen the movie for about 6 months  :p ), and even the bachelor-pad setup with the tree creatures, all seemed to typical of the modern sex / relationship trends in the media, which I have grown more than tired of.  This seemed to take away slightly from the impact of the film itself, by diminishing the quality of an otherwise decent story, with a second-rate romance side-plot.

Aside from that aspect, the film itself had little to hold my attention.  The music was average, but nothing as memorable as the Land Before Time's score.  The emotions involved seemed almost "inserted" into the film, as opposed to actually "felt" by the characters.  "Dinosaur" didn't have enough interesting scenes to keep me feeling close to the characters; I often "drifted" away from the film because of the lack of immersion.  The graphics were beautiful, but that was one of the few redeeming features of the film.  Overall, I was somewhat disappointed by "Dinosaur."  I hoped for another "Land Before Time".  Instead, we got a survival story with little substantial emotion and relative lack of entertainment value.  

I wish I could be more specific with my comments, but I can't remember enough from the film.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Disney's Dinosaur was alright. But similarly to action9000, I did find it a little hollow. Like you said, the characters lacked "character" if that makes sense. They were a bit flat and 1-dimensional (i.e. emotions were a bit robotic and stepped) but in terms of graphical creation it does stand out considering Disney made this without Pixar. Dinosaur was alright but it's no LBT...not enough to it to keep me hooked on it...

Maybe I'm just being a little biased. Maybe I'm thinking that all animated dinosaur movies are gonna be spin-offs of LBT (use LBT as the model from which to build from as it were). But I guess there are elements of LBT that I think are so well crafted that it makes it untouchable...that's what I think anyway