The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

are you happy with the TV series?

kjeldo · 98 · 16192

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Quote from: Animeboye,Mar 29 2010 on  10:26 PM
Red Claw is no better off. We know nothing about him, why he's terrorizing the Mysterious Beyond, what Ruby and Chomper's connection is to him and why the Gang are apparently the only ones who can defeat him. Seriously? Wouldn't it make more sense to just get the adults in the Valley to help stop him? I'd like to think that they would stand a better chance against Red Claw as oppose to seven little kids fighting him. Oh yeah, and what we have seen of ol' Red Claw just makes him look pathetic. Need I bring up his being scared by echoes again?

I like Ptyra's idea of having Pterano come back. Heck, he could actually help the gang fight Red Claw if they ever get to that. It would be an intresting way for Pterano to redeem himself.
This is where my fan episode comes in (it's on here too, but potentially, I hope it will have other fan episodes by different people).
And I even base some of Pterano's feelings about Red Claw on that of ours :) .

Eventually, the fan episode leads up to The Great Valley Rebellion, in which Red Claw's motives are revealed and are about to be executed.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I voted yes. I honestly thought that it was really good, although I wish it could've stayed on longer than it did. I miss it a lot.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Nope. Even the worst sequels---except maybe 13---couldn't come close to how bad the tv series was.  :(

Poor animation, terrible music, god awful songs ("Good times good friends" sounds like something that was written by the people who wrote songs for "PB&J Otter"!!  :x ).

They used a most of the marginally good episodes up during the first half of the season, while the second half was comprised of crappier ones. They messed with characters by bringing them back. They ripped off plots of earlier films ("Days of rising waters", anyone?) They drew the cast terribly, they weren't being serious...

...but I could live with all of it, all of it...if they hadn't ended the series with "Through the eyes of a spiketail"!  :x  :anger

Peace out.  :exactly

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There are good episodes, good songs and even dark elements in the TV series. I like The Days of Rising Waters, Escape from the Mysterious Beyond, The Spooky Night Time Adventure, The Hermit of Black Rock, March of the Sand Creepers, Return to Hanging Rock and Search for the Sky Color Stones. The songs I like would be Ducky's Be Quiet Now in March of the Sand Creepers and Ruby's Rembering in Return to Hanging Rock. Dark elements would include Mr. Threehorn scaring Chomper in the Mysterious Tooth Crisis, Mrs. Flyer being buried alive in The Days of Rising Waters, and Ducky's greed in the Search for the Sky Color Stones.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Bruton, the "poor animation" is the result of a lower budget. TV shows tend to have cheaper animation than their movie counterparts because they have less time to animate and more things to animate in that time frame. So naturally a TV show based on a movie will have cheaper looking animation in order to make it easier to whip out episodes on a regular basis.

For instance, look at the Kung Fu Panda: Legends Of Awesomeness TV show. The animation is not the best I've seen, with the characters looking flat, with no indications of feathers or fur, while the movies looked far better, the characters feeling more 3-dimensional. Again, it's because a TV show has a lower budget. It's not from laziness; it's from lack of money and time.

So that's why LBT TV series looks the way it does. They simply had a lower budge and less time to produce the episodes. It's not as bad as it could have been; the quality of the show compared to the movies was, in my opinion, a lot better than other movies-shows I recall seeing. But you can still tell the animation isn't 100% as good as the movies, but you should expect that.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It would had been my obsession beside FiM if it ran for more seasons.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
No the show sucked a ton. It has nothing good in it. The songs made me wanna rip my damn ears off. The episodes where poorly made and the Animation was made by a five year old. What a waste of money it was to make a T.V. Series about the movie. The characters personality also sucked. They turned Ducky into a greedy selfish b****. They had no personality what so ever. I can't believe I watched this crap.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I strongly disagree.
The characters personality also sucked. They turned Ducky into a greedy selfish b****. They had no personality what so ever.
Actually this is a point that I held in favor of the movies, that the characters did have personality, that I feel they did continue characteristics we saw in the land before time movies and explored some of them a bit further and that they filled some characteristics that were not quite covered by any of the existing characters (by creating Ruby). Ducky was acting unusual in the episode about the sky color stones, but unusual as it was, given her fascination with the beauty of the stones and her almost constant standing back on behalf of others I still think it was credible. Describing her with censored words for it seems over the top to me.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I still don't think they had none at all. God what a horrible show no wonder why it didn't have a second season. They had better personality's in the movie than they did it in the T.V. Show. It's been five years since I watched that crappy show and I will never turn it on again. She was the worst in my opinion. The show was just awful.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I consider myself lucky that my favorite movie franchise even got a TV show. The show can make as many blunders as it wants, but just the mere fact that it exists to double the amount of LBT footage I have to watch makes me happy. I don't believe any of the mistakes made were unforgivable and since we never have to spend money to view it we should just be happy with what we got.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I feel kinda meh about the series.  

On the one hand, the first thing I said to myself when I saw the show at first was "It's about time!" I can't believe how long it took Universal to make a series based on one of their most popular franchises.  

However, on the other hand I thought that the animation was terrible.  I know that the budget for the show wasn't a whole lot, but I thought that at least it would look the same as the sequels because they were churning them out every year or so (And I think the animation in the sequels is very "TV style" anyway).  I didn't think it was possible that the show could look worse than that.  Also since I am a budding animator the flaws just jump out at me.  

I am mostly unhappy that Universal turned The Land Before Time even more into a preschool franchise, and that they reused songs from the sequels, but there are many, many things I could nitpick on that bother me (Littlefoot has a shoebox for a head, Chomper looks kinda like he needs to wear a bra :o , the fact that they used 3D models when the characters run). . .

But,

I can't really say that the show "sucked".  I guess I like the characters too much to completely dislike the show.  And I am probably the only person who likes the opening theme song.  

Wow this post is long!
(Also, I . . . kind of like the songs from PB&J Otter  <_< )

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Like Jansonv(I think?) already said earlier, of course the animation in the tv series is gonna be worse. They didn't have much time to animate 26 episodes. That's also a lot of animation to do. It's something like 9-10 hours to animate, as opposed to just an hour and a half for a movie. Theres  also tons more design work that must be done, since most episodes have either unique characters or locations that  have to be made up from sratch.

It's a ton of work to make a tv show, and they didn't have a huge budget to begin with.

My gripes with the show:

It wasn't very exciting. There was too many pointless episode like "The Great Log Rolling Game" that just felt like boring filler. They could have done more exploring past events, like when they did a little of that in the Lone Dinosaur episode. I would of loved some episode with more serious plotlines, like the early movies had.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
@Vonboy I totally agree with what you said right there. It had a lot of pointless fillers in the series. I thought the show was rushed and they didn't take the time to make it good. It was boring I actually almost fell asleep during a lot of the episodes. The titles of each episode where very lame and pointless. They could have done a lot better job with each title. Yeah the pointless humor in the shoe was very poor and not funny at all. They had the damn money they just didn't want to spend it on trying to make it a good T.V. Series, They took the cheap ass way out and we got crappy episodes. No wonder it didn't get a second season because of how cheap and god awful job with the 26 episodes. Thank god for that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I persist in not participating in the predominant decrying of the TV series. It could have been better, no doubt about that, but it was a lot better than many (myself included) anticipated by the time the series was first announced back in 2005.
In my opinion the series does not receive the credit it deserves for comming up with a large number of plots which, though too short to be made into a full length movie, did for the most part (there are exceptions, but in my opinion none so strong as some we have had in earlier sequels already), fit into the land before time as we know it from most of the sequels. There were flaws in the animation, there were some songs that were rather annoying, and there were some plots which are controversial. But the way I see it the TV series came up with acceptable to good plots for the most part. It included the maintainance of most character traits but also the deeper exploration of some characters. More than once did it comply with the frequently made request of not focusing all attention on Littlefoot. And it also provided some open questions which could be seen as an invitation to fanfiction writers who would like to fill in some gaps (origin of Ruby etc.).
Just my opinion, but I see the TV series as often being panned too much (as in often being decried with objective points of criticism and alternative suggestions being made, but much rarer) while anything positive that one could see in it seems to be taken for granted and therefore ignored.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I will say that I think it looks better than the vector-based shows out there.  

I only want to know why it took them so long to make a show in the first place; it seems that something like that would be one of the first things the studio would want to make.   :confused

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Probably because Universal didn't think making a TV series would have helped at all. I know that sounds completely bonkers considering how many movies they released, but they probably realized that making more movies would make more money than making a TV series. They probably only released the TV series when they realized that the franchise was losing a lot of money for them.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah and so they ended the whole Franchise all together. But hey at least we got what we did. No complaining from me. And the show was so bad that they lost a lot of money witch they can afford to loose they they said we're done for good. And so it ends for good.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And the show was so bad that they lost a lot of money witch they can afford to loose they they said we're done for good.
What's your source for the lack of economic success of the TV series? Is it your personal estimation or something you can back up with actual data?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I haven't seen any actual data for it either, but it could be inferred that it wasn't doing so well financially, or else it would have been taken off the air so fast like it was. At the least, it's TV ratings were bad.

Let's see. I remember a website I went to to look up Nielson ratings for Futurama episodes. Don't know if it'd have any ratings for a little cartooon network show like LBT, but I can check.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Company's like Universal Have billions of dollars And since they have billions of dollars they're to damn cheap to spend any money have trying to make something good. Like the Land Before Time T.V. Series. If they spent a little bit more money on it would have been better and would have gotten good ratings. Since they're cheap and didn't want to spend the extra dollar you get a low rating piece of crap TV Series the ended after one season.