The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

100th Anniversary of the Empress of Ireland Traged

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Let us not forget the sinking of the RMS Empress of Ireland today and tomorrow. 1,012 people died in what has been termed Canada's "forgotten tragedy" and "Canada's Titanic", but today, I remember these people who lost their lives and also the 465 survivors who had to undergo this terrible ordeal. A particularly poignant story to me is that of the youngest and longest lived survivor, Grace Hanagan. Seven years old at the time, she was awakened in her cabin by the collision of the Empress with the Storstad. Her parents got her out onto the deck but weren't able to board a lifeboat before the ship rolled over and sank. She cried for help, and was rescued by a lifeboat, but both her parents died that night.

I'm glad to see that Canada is remembering this overlooked part of its history, and is holding events to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking. May we not forget the victims of this tragedy.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post