The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The land before time as a university topic

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
This semester I'm participating in a course about "English for special purposes".
So far we have been dealing with commercial texts only. However, all students are required to give a presentation in the course. My suggestion to Professor Bachem was that I could do a presentation on the extraordinary usage of English language in cartoon movies, using the land before time as an example. He did not approve the topic immediately, but told me to prepare something for next week so I could give him some idea of what it would look like. In case my choice of topic is approved by him, I may have to take some pols about your reception of that kind of English use and the like.  :)
Here are some notes I've taken down so far:

Extraordinary usage of English language in cartoons

Use of catchwords / -phrases for individual characters never used by any other character:
ï   Ducky: “Yep, yep, yep!”, “Nope, nope, nope!”
ï   Cera: “dumb”

Usage of wrong grammar to create a cute, childlike effect:
ï   Petrie: Usage of me instead of I.
ï   Ducky and Petrie: “Regularization” of irregular verbs.
(“Spike finded it.”)
ï   Petrie: Usage of no instead of not, don’t  or doesn’t.
(“Me no know!”)
ï   Dropping of forms of to be.
(“Me terrified”, “You sure?”)
ï   No s at the end of third person singular verb forms.
(“And it have water!”)

Individual speech patterns for some characters:
ï   Ducky never uses weak forms of the negation such as don’t, aren’t, doesn’t.
ï   Ducky frequently repeats what she is saying. She does so either by quickly repeating a single word often three sometimes even more times, or else by confirming what she said by adding I do or I do not at the end of a sentence.
ï   Petrie almost never uses I to refer to himself. When not using me he usually refers to himself with his name.

Creation of new words for the dinosaur characters. Very often usage of descriptive terms for “human terms” which would probably be unknown to the dinosaurs (such as scientific names for dinosaur species):
Sun – bright circle;      Moon – great night circle;   Stars – lesser lights of the dark time;
Rain – sky water;      Sea – Big water;      Volcano – buning/smoking mountain;
Triceratops - Threehorn;   Stegosaurus – Spiketail;   Carnivore – sharptooth;

There is no absolute consistence in the use of these terms though. Words such as sun, star and rain are used in spite of the alternative “dinosaur terms”. In some cases such words were used in songs for the sake of rhyming.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hmm...I suppose this could work, though I'm not exactly sure what "English for Special Purposes" really means.  Does that imply the use of English in one sense, in this case, one film?

Use of catchwords / -phrases for individual characters never used by any other character:

ï Cera: “dumb”

While you're probably correct in that nobody else has used the adjective 'dumb', I think you'd be better off sticking with Ducky's 'yep yep yep' since that clearly has been a staple phrase since the beginning.  Cera's sayings and everyone else's usually are influenced by the language used around the time the films were created.  The earlier sequels versus the later sequels are good samples of this as lingo and catchphrases change in the culture.

I will say you probably could almost write a whole essay on Petrie's speech impediment use of grammar considering nobody bothers to correct him, so you have some twelve films to work with.  :lol:

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://s8.invisionfree.com/AvP2000
I always compaired petrie to grimlock from the transformers G1 cartoon the Trex transformer.

grimlock talks the same way but he uses his name instead of me for instance when he talks he'll say
ME GRIMLOCK WANT HERE STORY GRIMLOCK NO GO FIGHT MEGATRON

i see lotts of similarity in both term usedge

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm not exactly sure what "English for Special Purposes" really means.
Neither did I when I signed up for the course. It sounded much more interesting to me than all that courses in economical English however and it offers you the possibility to "interpret" the range of subjects the way I did about LBT. After all this is English used for a special purpose; namely to create a special perception of a character by the audience  :D
Your perception of that language is something I might have to question you (all of you) about if my topic is greenlit.
While you're probably correct in that nobody else has used the adjective 'dumb', I think you'd be better off sticking with Ducky's 'yep yep yep' since that clearly has been a staple phrase since the beginning. Cera's sayings and everyone else's usually are influenced by the language used around the time the films were created. The earlier sequels versus the later sequels are good samples of this as lingo and catchphrases change in the culture.
Ducky's "Yep, yep, yep!" and "Nope, nope, nope!" are definitely the most striking catchwords throughout the land before time. The "dumb" is actually the only other catchword I could think of and also the only other one which I recall to have been mentioned in the forums. Furthermore it is at least one example of LBT language from a character other than Petrie and Ducky who must clearly be in the spotlight of the essay.
Taking in the change of the LBT language throughout the time might be an idea, but I need to find something concrete to tell the people.
One thing I'm likely to include in the oral part of the presentation is how sometimes phrases from the movies find their way into public conscience. I recall for example that a few weeks after my arrival in Minnessota for my students exchange my older host brother said to my younger host brother (when the latter was to be pitied for some reason) "Poor, poor Petrie!", mimicing Ducky from the original movie. Neither of them was a particular fan of LBT nor did either of them know of my own favor of LBT at that time. I take it that phrases such as these are well enough known to be understood by a majority of people when used in such a context.
Does anyone of you realize any local accents in the language of the LBT characters, or is it general American for all of them (including the background characters)?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Local accents...no, not really, since there isn't much of a difference between where I live and much of the way the northern part of the country speaks...accent wise.

Special characters, well, that's a bit different...

Ozzie & Strut - certainly English English  :P:
Doc - somewhat southern American (you can hear a bit of a drawl)
Pterano - Michael York is British, so...English English...don't know any specifics
Rinkus - a really lame attempt at English English
Pat - like Doc, you can hear the southern drawl
Bron - see Pat

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://s8.invisionfree.com/AvP2000
I kinda compared bron with optimus prime I dont know why I compare LBT with Transformers?

anywho bron has a bit of an authourity in his voice also in some situations he refers events and responds to them in millitary and stragity endevers much like prime does.