The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Old Threehorn" pictures

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Wow, they're really good. :o I wish I could draw characters. :S

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thank you very much  :)
Sometimes I mess up characters beyond all recognition though as demonstrated in the following drawing. I must have somehow missed it as, if this thread is to show the pictures in chronological order of the appearance of the respective scenes in the story this drawing would be before the last few I posted. I never actually finished this drawing, so that may be why I forgot about it. I think it is to this day the only drawing I ever made that included Hyp. I had never even practiced him before and it really shows. Anyway, here it is:

How could a threehorn, challenged like this, possibly dodge a fight without loosing the face? Seconds of utter silent passed and the silence began to become embarrassing.
Ira was still thirsty. Suddenly Hyp bent forward, down to the stream and stretched out his cupped hands for the water in order to drink. With a whoop Ira jumped forward over the stream, her head lowered and her horns aimed at Hyp. But the hornless vigilance hadn’t slackened. With a nimble turn he avoided Ira’s attack so she stormed past him. After a few more steps she stopped and whirled around furiously.
Helmhead and Chasma had crossed the stream too, attacking Nod respectively Mutt.
With heavy blows of his tail Nod could keep Helmhead at bay, who stayed out of range after he had once been hit. Mutt fell back and avoided Chasma’s attacks just like Hyp had done though he looked as if he would have preferred to turn and run away. Chasma however didn’t seem to be all too glad about this unplanned encounter either and her attacks lacked any real fierceness. Uttering a furious yell Ira charged Hyp again but again he was able to step aside and dodge the attack. Ira had to stop very abruptly not to cross the stream again driven by the huge momentum of her attack. Ira turned around and snorted angrily. Hyp had fallen back some steps from her, to increase the distance between them enough, so he would have enough time to dodge Ira’s next attack. This time however Ira kept a slower pace during her attack run in order to be able to follow every movement of Hyp. When she approached him Hyp stepped to the left and Ira corrected her course. The hornless would have to run away or he’d be run over by her. Hyp starred at Ira, but he didn’t run. In the very last moment Hyp jumped half to the side and half towards Ira leaving her field of vision.
She slowed down surprised. Did the hornless attack her? A heavy blow hit her back and her knees gave slightly in under the sudden weight that had pounded onto her shoulders. She jerked around furiously. How dared this hornless to attack her? Hyp didn’t stand behind her, or on either side of her. The weight on her shoulders still weighed down on her. It took some moments, some looks at the dumbfounded faces of Helmhead, Chasma and the two hornless they had been struggling with, and the feeling of two fists clinging to the horns on her forehead to realize that Hyp had jumped right onto her back!
Uttering a roar that would have intimidated a wild sharptooth she jumped forward and bucked and caprioled and did everything she could do in order to get rid of her unwanted rider.
Ira heard a booming laughter of Helmhead and glanced at him furiously. He and Nod had stopped fighting watching them, though they still kept a distrustful eye on each other.
Chasma and Mutt watched them too and though Chasma didn’t show her amusement as indiscreetly as Helmhead, she struggled visibly to suppress a malicious smile. Ira tried to stand up on her hind legs, which proved impossible with Hyp’s weight on her shoulders, and tried to throw off Hyp forward, which proved impossible because of her neck-shield that prevented Hyp from skidding forward. Hyp yowled fighting with his balance, but he kept it and when Ira, exhausted from the weight of the hornless on her back, stopped and took some deep breaths he started to pound on her neck-shield with one fist while he kept the other one firmly closed around one of Ira’s horns.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting drawings.  Think you'll draw those characters again?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Haha, nice! Good illustration, and I enjoyed the excerpt from the story very much. I shall have to read it in full some time.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Once again Pangea (without meaning to ;)) reminded me of a thread I tend to be forgetful about. Thank you for that :yes
The next picture comes as a drawing and an aquarelle. The aquarelle I think is the most "recent" LBT aquarelle I have made as it has been a while since I made one last time (it dates 7th January 2006). Here is the pencil version:

And here the aquarelle. I am not really happy with the lighting in it, but I had (and still have) little to no experience with the complex field of lighting in a nightly thunderstorm. That thing in the center near Spike's head is supposed to be a waterhole reflecting the lightning in the sky:

And here is the excerpt from the story (unfortunately the strong effects of the weather described in the text are visible in neither image):
They had reached the edge of the forest that bordered to the patch of grass with the waterhole opposite to the threehorns’ wood. It had been easy for Littlefoot to get away. He had expected that he would have to sneak away while his grandparents were asleep, but they weren’t sleeping but roaming somewhere around in the Valley. They didn’t supervise him especially, as sure enough they didn’t expect that Littlefoot had any intentions to get to the threehorns wood. “And if I had at least a little reason I wouldn’t!” thought Littlefoot. Easy as it was to get away under these circumstances his grandparents were bound to notice his absence. Littlefoot failed at his attempts to lay words ready he would say to his grandparents later.
It had been quite easy for the others too, to get away, as their parents were sleeping. Petrie’s mother had been pretty exhausted from the permanent observing of the threehorns, so she had been fast asleep when Petrie had sneaked away. She had told about the impossibility for the flyers to continue their observation in this weather. Strangely Pterano had not shown up in their rock sheltered nesting place, and Petrie’s mother couldn’t tell where he was. It had been quite difficult for Petrie though to get to the meeting place with the others. He had been cast down by the wind several times. Now he cowered behind one of Spike’s back-plates and clung to it as firmly as possible. Ducky’s parents, rather unaffected by the bad weather had also been fast asleep unaware of their children’s plan, so it hadn’t been a problem for them either.
While they approached the threehorns’ wood their steps became more and more hesitant, and when they arrived off the waterhole Littlefoot stopped irresolutely.
“Littlefoot, what is the matter?” asked Ducky in a kind of shouted whisper trying on the one hand to be heard by Littlefoot over the splashing of the rain and the howling of the wind, but also not to be heard by anyone in the wood ahead. Ducky was sitting on Spike’s back, just like Petrie, and actually her question was not really necessary for she was quite sure she had discovered the same problem as Littlefoot.
Littlefoot came close beside Spike so, it was easier for all of them to talk despite of the noise of the rainstorm.
“Don’t you see it? Cera told her sister to tell us too meet her at the edge of the wood tonight. The edge of the wood is long. Do you see Cera anywhere?”
Ducky shook her head, and so did Spike and Petrie.
“Neither do I. So where shall we go? This way?” he pointed with his head to the left.
“That way?” he pointed to the right. “Or right ahead? I don’t see Cera anywhere! So how are we supposed to know where she is waiting? Why doesn’t she show herself?” Littlefoot sighed.
“Maybe she is there, but we do not see her, yes maybe?” suggested Ducky sounding not very convinced. Though one couldn’t see very far in the darkness and through the veils of rain passing by, it was unlikely that they would have failed to see somebody standing at the edge of the wood.
“We no go on?” asked Petrie quietly.
“Don’t you want to go on?” asked Littlefoot. There was no reproach in his voice.
But Petrie straightened up on Spike’s back calling: “No! Err yes! Me mean...  we got to have to go on! Me think.”
The next moment a gust of wind send Petrie staggering and he clawed to one of Spike’s back-plates again. Littlefoot nodded. “I’m afraid we have no other choice!”
“Are you scared Littlefoot?” asked Ducky; not a trace of mockery in her voice.
Littlefoot nodded. “We gotta be very careful!”

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 22 2009 on  02:58 AM
Once again Pangea (without meaning to ;)) reminded me of a thread I tend to be forgetful about. Thank you for that :yes
You're welcome. :smile
Having read the story (thank you for that ;)), I can tell you that regardless of weather visibility, the pictures (especially the colored one) capture the feel of the corresponding chapter very well. Though, if you don't mind me saying, Ducky looks a bit out of proportion in both images; namely in that her tail seems disproportionately short and her arms long. In any case, they're both great pictures. :yes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
In the second image, you gave it an effect that I've been looking forward to see for a long while. Not exactly of a thunder, more of a mountain. I've got the image on my head, it wouldn't come out very well described.

The thudner effect you wanted may be with some clearer areas around the thunders. You know, the lightning. Instead of leaving only the white lines, perhaps making a somewhat darker path surroudind and following those same lines. My opinon, at least. I'm not very experienced at it either. <.<

Nonetheless, its really good, I'd say. You gotta teach me a few tricks on character designing...

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
*"revival"*
You know, I'm pretty interested in reading this :) . Now that I think about it, it looks like it has some X themes, especially the last picture where the rest of the gang is going after Cera.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the reminder :)
I am horribly forgetful about some older threads of mine in an "out of sight out of mind" kind of manner, but I frankly admit that it delights me that you are interested enough to post and bring it back in sight :yes
I do not exactly know what you are meaning. There are some rather dark elements in the story.
The next picture is one which I haven't ever posted so far as the image contains a kind of a spoiler (both the picture and the scene it depicts were created many years ago). It gives a little idea away of which I have been kind of fond.
Anyway, here is the picture with an excerpt from the story. The scene takes place after Littlefoot and the others separately enter that wood from the previous picture and scene (I don't think the scene can be really understood torn out of context like this):

Ducky hesitated, unsure what to do. It was not safe to go on, for anyone else who might be up and awake in this wood was probably heading for the spot where the sky flash had struck. While she was still pondering what to do Ducky suddenly had the impression that she was being watched, and the very next moment she felt a slight vibration of the ground. Ducky whirled around and gasped.
Right in front of her stood the hugest threehorn ever! She hadn’t even heard him approaching because of the din of the storm. Ducky remembered that she had seen this threehorn on the day the herd had arrived. He had been walking right behind the herd’s leader, and had passed on his orders to the others with a booming voice. And also yesterday at the waterhole this threehorn had always stayed close to the leader of the herd.
And this very threehorn stood now right in front of her and lifted his head to thrust at her with his long horns. Ducky leaped back tripped over her feet and fell.
With a thud one of the horns dug deep into the ground just a tiny distance from Ducky’s feet. Ducky uttered a little shriek and tried to get back on her feet, but the wet ground was slippery and she didn’t manage to get up with her hasty movements. The threehorn raised his head and pulled his horns from the ground with an annoyed grunt, making ready for another thrust at Ducky. She rolled herself to the side, and again one horn pierced the earth right beside her shoulder. Following some sudden impulse Ducky clutched the horn before the threehorn could pull it out of the ground again. The next moment, as the threehorn raised his head again for yet another thrust, Ducky was pulled to her feet with a violent jerk. But before she could even think of letting go of the horn she lost the ground below her feet again, and dangled from the horn now to which she clung as firm as she could.
The threehorn shook his head fiercely, so Ducky swung to and fro like a leaf in the
storm-shaken tree tops. But Ducky managed to hold on. The threehorn stopped for a moment puffed and squinted at the hornless dangling from the tip of his horn. The very same moment Ducky dared to turn her head and looked straight into one eye of the giant threehorn. For her surprise there was no savagery in that eye. It looked nothing like the eye of a sharptooth.
The threehorn just looked perplexed. But Ducky had no time to think about it, for the next moment the threehorn made another attempt to shake her of. He thrust downwards with his head, as if to pierce the earth once more with his horns. But the moment before his horns touched the ground he swung his head back in a wide arch, and Ducky could no longer hold on to the muddy smooth horn. She was hurled through the air, shrieked and firmly closed her eyes. Ducky fell silent when she landed on something soft. But she slid on, as she had not landed on a level surface. Ducky waved around with her arms, found some hold and managed to come to a standstill. Only now Ducky opened her eyes. It didn’t make much of a difference though as everything was dark around her. Ducky looked up confused, and cast a look in every direction, but there was really nothing to be seen anywhere. Nothing at all; just darkness. She could still hear the splashing of the rain, but not a single drop found its way to wherever she was sitting now. Ducky groped around in the darkness with her hands. She felt she was sitting below some solid shelter and it seemed that she was also leaning against the shelter that apparently touched the ground behind her. The ground itself sloped down to her left and right. It felt rough, but soft, dry and a bit warm.
Suddenly the whole place seemed to get into motion. The ground below, and the shelter above her, everything seemed to shift and Ducky felt like she was being turned around, along with the whole place. She suddenly heard the puffing again she had heard while she had been dangling from the threehorn’s horn, and she heard heavy steps. The threehorn still had to be very close by!
Suddenly there was another flashlight from the sky that lighted her surroundings a bit and especially a crescent-shaped space in front of her. The light lasted for just a split second, but it was enough for Ducky to realize where she was, and it took away her breath.
She sat on the threehorn’s nape; right below the neck-shield which she had seen covered a good part of the threehorn’s back!
But the threehorn didn’t make any fierce movements to shake her of. It seemed to Ducky like he was walking around in circles changing the direction time and again. It finally occurred her that the threehorn didn’t feel where she was sitting, and that he was apparently searching for her. Ducky hardly dared to breathe not to make any sound the threehorn could realize.

The little Hornless was gone. His last movement had probably hurled her, somewhere far away in the bushes. She had probably scurried away as quickly as possible. It was alright with Torus; in fact he even felt a little relief. It would have been tough to do her in after he had gotten such a close look at her while she dangled from his horn. After he had checked all the nearby bushes Torus found that there was nothing more he could do, and decided to head for the place where the sky-flare, in whose light he had spotted the Hornless, had struck.
He didn’t have to go very far. Just a few steps and he reached the place. One tall tree had been split by the sky-flare. Large fragments of the tree lay scattered on the ground. Some still had a few faintly gleaming sparks on them, but otherwise the rainfall had already put out the fire.
The next moment Torus spotted the figure he would have recognized anywhere. He quickly performed the salute: “Styrax, Sir!”
For a moment Ducky thought the huge threehorn had felt her after all, when he suddenly lowered his head and cast it back than so far, that she feared to be squeezed between the threehorn’s back and its neck-shield.
Styrax returned the salute: “At ease Torus!”

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I guess the "X" was kinda hard to understand. I meant 10, referring to the tenth movie, because it appears from the last picture that Cera left with the Threehorn herd.

Should I give you my email so you can send it to me, or is it possible for the story to be shown on here at this point?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess the "X" was kinda hard to understand. I meant 10, referring to the tenth movie, because it appears from the last picture that Cera left with the Threehorn herd.
I see. Cera did not really "leave" with the Threehorn herd though. It is all still taking place in the Great Valley.
However, there are several conflicts between LBT 10 and this story (most of it was written before LBT 10 was released). To this day I never actually finished the story. One problem are the conflicts with LBT 10 and pretty much every sequel that has appeared since. Another thing is that parts of the darker elements in the story are close to crossing the line of what I would consider not very LBT like anymore. It is for these points that I haven't finished it so far.
If you send me your email address I will gladly send you what has been written so far (a bit more than 240 pages I think). Thank you for your interest
 :)