The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

jassy’s other art!

jassy · 43 · 9024

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
/gasp it’s another art thread! Been meaning to start one of these for my non-LBT art, and I finally got around to it :p anyway, I’ve been rewatching the How To Train Your Dragon series to prepare myself for the third and unfortunately final movie :cry after studying some of the concept art for canon dragons like the Skrill and the Scauldron, I came up with this! A very rough and messy concept of a dragon that hunts at night using bioluminescent lures to draw it’s prey towards them  :SmugSpike I don’t really have a name yet, so feel free to drop suggestions (by which i mean pls give me suggestions) and I’ll be adding more art of this mystery dragon as I add more to the species!  :DD also, pls forgive the poor quality, I’m working through a bit of an art block,,,

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:09:59 PM by jassy »
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
 Yesssss! How to Train Your Dragon art! I like this design! And dang! Those lures! So... shiny... *shakes his head* No! NO way! XD But still... well done! we definitely need more art like this! I'm sure you have other designs. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Thank you so much, Pterano! I’ll definitely be posting more of this dragon and giving more info as I go along. Who knows, I might even come up with more species :DD And I know, those lures are hard to resist :P

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You are very welcome! My wife and I love how HTTYD! Looking forward to the 3rd movie!  :DD I look forward to seeing more, and the info you come up with. :) And I don't doubt you will come up with more species! I'm sure they'll all be "extremely dangerous; kill on sight" dragons. XD And I know! They're quite hard to resist! XD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I really like the look of this, especially the appendages and the black color. HTTYD is a great series!
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Thank you, friend! Tbh the glowy effect on the appendages was totally last minute, but I’m glad I decided to go through with it :P

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Here’s more of the mystery dragon, whom I’ve decided to name the Sparkling Death (I don’t think I need to explain why)   :lol they’re mostly nocturnal and hunt only at night, lying dormant during the daytime. They live in mated pairs usually, and can be found inhabiting dark caves. And I mean dark dark. Due to their dark coloring, they blend very effectively against the darkness, and their scales are covered in color changing photophores which mimic the appearance of stars against the night sky. They use their bright flashy lures to draw prey near mouths, the lure on their tail doubling as a stinger when not flashing. Unfortunately, they are hunted for these things and as a result, are very hard to domesticate, especially since your best bet at finding one is when it’s pitch dark,,, but once you earn their trust, there’s nothing a Sparkling Death won’t do for you :DD

zero-point

• Administrator
  • Spike
    • View Profile
This looks so awesome, great work, Jassy! :DD
"The fire flickers with possibilities, I wonder what happens if you get a little closer?"

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The glowy blue shade in contrast with the blackness inky black is really nice. Plus, the species description reminds me of an angler fish, except with DRAGONS.

Also, I'm not sure if getting mauled by something called the Sparkling Death is considered amazing or a fail. (in today's society, it just reminds me of sparkling fizzy drinks and now I'm imagining choking on one of those, oh dear :p)
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
This looks so awesome, great work, Jassy! :DD

Replying to this several weeks late, but thank you so much Zero!! :DD

The glowy blue shade in contrast with the blackness inky black is really nice. Plus, the species description reminds me of an angler fish, except with DRAGONS.

Also, I'm not sure if getting mauled by something called the Sparkling Death is considered amazing or a fail. (in today's society, it just reminds me of sparkling fizzy drinks and now I'm imagining choking on one of those, oh dear :p)

Thanks! The design for it was actually heavily based off of deep sea creatures, including the angler :p and yeah, I’d feel bad for anyone who gets maimed by one of those, considering it has sparkling in it’s name which would make you think of a fairy or something of the like  :lol

anyway, I’m back with some more art that’s not of a reptile for once. Surprising, I know. This is a very, very revamped version of a character I made back in the dark year of 2013 from a story I was working on back then as well. Hopefully I’ll have the motivation to work on the other characters as well because trust me, there’s a lot lol. Also, I know I messed up a little bit on the leg but I unfortunately didn’t notice it until after I shaded and colored  :cry

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:00:34 AM by jassy »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey great to see you posting some more artwork! I don't have too much to say other then it looks really nice! Though I'm not sure if it's me or if she's supposed to be perking up her left ear, but it seems a bit too much higher then the other. I'm also curious how you did the background. All those lines remind me of those old screen savers :p

Anyways, great job and looking forward to seeing more! :DD

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks man! Now that I look at it the ear placement is a tad bit off, whoops  :oops and for the background I just used a wispy glowy tool and sorta just scribbled all over the place. It was a lot of fun lol :DD

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
*observing last two arts*

just.. speechless...
I can't say anything beside endless words about how they are amazing!
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
*observing last two arts*

just.. speechless...
I can't say anything beside endless words about how they are amazing!

Aw, thank you so much Sneak!! :DD

Here’s character number two, aka Zonta’a big bro. He has half a tail and a torn ear so he’s seen some stuff. In his younger years he didn’t eat as much so as not to let his sister starve so he’s not as slender and lean as she is :p

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:40:22 AM by jassy »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another great drawing! The pupils are better defined in this drawing over your last and I think it looks better this way personally. I did want to point out that his left hind foot is pointing towards the background while the right points to the foreground (or at the very least straight) so it makes it look a little off to me. Canines can't twist their legs like cats can afterall (that I'm aware of :p )

Very minor detail though and all around is very good! :smile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
those wolf drawings look really good jassy!
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So fluffy! I especially like the teal-green eye color that's also represented with that wireframe background. Gosh digital art is awesome.

jassy

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Another great drawing! The pupils are better defined in this drawing over your last and I think it looks better this way personally. I did want to point out that his left hind foot is pointing towards the background while the right points to the foreground (or at the very least straight) so it makes it look a little off to me. Canines can't twist their legs like cats can afterall (that I'm aware of :p )

Very minor detail though and all around is very good! :smile

Thank you!! Woops, I guess you have a point there,,, tbh I was just sorta winging that one :p

those wolf drawings look really good jassy!

Thank you so much Nick!! Really means a lot :DD

So fluffy! I especially like the teal-green eye color that's also represented with that wireframe background. Gosh digital art is awesome.

Very fluffy indeed! Fur is so fun to draw tbh, and this is great practice  :smile and thank you so much! I’ve been a little obsessed with the wireframe effect as you can tell :P

So I was experiencing a bit of an art block the past few days, mainly because the lineart did this one was literall hell to do. Anyway, meet Kai. She’s the alpha of the pack the two main characters come across! She’s blind in one eye and she’s seen a lot (through her one good eye that is-)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:24:24 AM by jassy »

zero-point

• Administrator
  • Spike
    • View Profile
It looks fantastic, as always! I'm also like the orange glowing curves in the background. The shading is excellent too :DD
"The fire flickers with possibilities, I wonder what happens if you get a little closer?"

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with the background. The mix of orange yellow and green look cool. Kai also looks really good as well! Let's see here, ears look good, feet look good, everything else looks good. I guess I don't really have any criticism this time around :p

Awesome job! :DD