The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Would you call this movie "beautiful"?

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I did, but someone else was like "what are you talking about? It's only 38% beautiful". That made me a little frustrated, as if I'm not able to appreciate dark stuff. Sure, the movie is depressing, but I'm not going to lie that it has a dark beauty to it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friend. :)

While a whole debate could go on with regards to what constitutes "beautiful" in terms of an animated movie, if I had to use the term "beautiful" in a sentence describing LBT 1, I'd have to say "flawed but beautiful" is probably the best answer I can give.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep. The art and animation are on a league of their own and many moments will fill you with the warm fuzzies.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Not many films out there can make a barren desert wasteland look gorgeous.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 12 2016 on  04:40 PM
Yeah. But I also think the Coyote and Roadrunner films do.  :smile

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 12 2016 on  04:40 PM
But the point is, someone tried to shove down my throat that it was 38% beautiful like it was fact. :cry

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Which it is not! What the hell did that person mean by saying that anyway? I don't get the message...  :rolleyes
Inactive, probably forever.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
It depends on a person's taste of animation, story, characters, and other aspects that make up a movie. Such tastes wildly vary from aspect to aspect. Such is the magic of subjectivity.

I personally would say this managed to make typicality beautiful.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well all I know is I felt awkward thinking of it as beautiful after reading that response four years ago.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I don't get it... It's a hand drawn movie where a lot of work was obviously put into every frame by very talented people. The designs are creative and the colors are realistic (something I wouldn't be able to say about most of the sequels though). So yeah, it's pretty darn beautiful if you ask me.

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
"Beautiful" doesn't even begin to describe this movie. Heartwarming moments, tearjerking events, terrifying scenarios, awesome animation, and a serene, sorrowful, yet uplifting song for the credits "If We Hold On Together", that pretty much is THE best song in the entire franchise at that. So, does the word "beautiful" describe this movie well? YES.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

Sable

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://ravenclawdirewolf.tumblr.com
Definitely. The animation and artwork are incredible; I love the subdued color scheme. It's very atmospheric, I think, and really helps to set the dark tone of the film ("darkly beautiful" is a perfect way to describe it imo). And James Horner's score is so moving; just listening to Whispering Winds is enough to bring me to tears. Honestly, I'd be surprised if someone didn't consider LBT to be beautiful.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
What in the world did that person mean by 38% anyway?

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think it's beautiful. It's a film on working together to get to a land of peace, Littlefoot's mother died to protect him & Cera, they all also realized how precious life is once they almost got it taken away from them a billion times by Sharptooth attacks.
8 years with TGOF :yum

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retrorobby.com
I think the right word would be "Masterpiece". This movie was very well done.

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
i agree with Retrorobby

even tho it was 14 years before i was born it is still one of the best.
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: jorrdy12,May 29 2016 on  02:42 PM
i agree with Retrorobby

Plus its the only one without singalong songs too. I would have have to stay what makes this movie so good is the fact everyone can relate to one or more of the characters.

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: retrorobby,May 29 2016 on  03:02 PM
i agree with Retrorobby

Plus its the only one without singalong songs too. I would have have to stay what makes this movie so good is the fact everyone can relate to one or more of the characters.
Yes indeed! it also showed that friendships can be formed even when they are not the same, go through hardships to see they really care about eachother and wont give up, it shows you what real friendship is like.
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: jorrdy12,May 29 2016 on  03:14 PM
Quote from: retrorobby,May 29 2016 on  03:02 PM
i agree with Retrorobby

Yes indeed! it also showed that friendships can be formed even when they are not the same, go through hardships to see they really care about eachother and wont give up, it shows you what real friendship is like.
I couldn't have said it better myself.   :)littlefoot