The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I'll never look at the first LBT the same again

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't know this for sure, but I suppose it is just a rumor. Don't forget that we saw more of Ducky's father than of Cera's mother or Petrie's father (or Littlefoot's father until LBT 10 came). It is more common for LBT characters to have just one parent than both of them and Ducky was almost like an exception having both parents in the original movie as well as the sequels 2 and 5. The first LBT sequel, the first one to be produced after the murder of Judith Barsi (five years afterwards) featured Ducky's Dad. Even though he never spoke we saw more of him than of many other LBT parents.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Interesting coincidence but I don't think that's why we don't see the father figure in many families outside of Cera's.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be a combination of not wanting to have to animate 2 parents, and have voice actors voice them, which would cost more money and take more time.  And they may not have an idea of a personality to give them also.  Though in Ducky's case it makes more sense for her to have her father around at times also.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Well, i'm think the lack of parents can be explained like that: the dinosures of Great Valley have came to their new home from the mysterious beyond, where danger awaits under every stone... It is like a lack of population after the war.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In LBT 12, Ducky mentions she has an aunt who "sleepswims."  Perhaps Universal caught onto the LBT 2 error and decided to make a reference in 12.  Ducky has never once mentioned having a father.  Like Cera's father, this just convinces me Mama Swimmer was made a widow :cry2.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I seriously doubt this. At the end of the original movie we see two grownup swimmers one of whom looks male while the other looks female. Ducky greets both of them very much like parents.

In LBT 2 we have two swimmers lying beside Ducky's nest. I really don't think that other swimmer was meant to be anything but Ducky's father. If people insist they can always interpret something in LBT as references to Judith Barsi and her tragic death, but looking at the movies objectively I don't think any of these interpretations have any solid basis. It is worse enough what was committed by Judith Barsi's father, I don't see the need to blame Ducky's father for this. Let's not grudge her for one of the very few intact families existing in the land before time (though we didn't see him since LBT 5 Ducky's father's absence doesn't necessarily mean he is dead or gone or something, though I admit one would have expected to see something of him in LBT 7 and 8).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I just pretend he's off screen all the time, but around.  That is my personal take on it.  In some shots there are multiple adult swimmers shown sometimes so one of those could be him.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think that possibly they were playing the "better-safe-than-sorry" game. If they showed Ducky with a father then some people might possibly have seen that as disrespectful to Barsi. If they just omit Ducky's father then they are safe. Hmm... not sure about this...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Of course I don't know this, but I seriously doubt that the fate of poor Judith Barsi played a role in the decision to make Ducky's mother rather than her father play an active part. Most people who watch LBT probably don't know anything about Judith Barsi and her father. Also keep in mind that her father was shown in LBT 2 and 5 (making Ducky's family the only "complete" family of any of the main characters).
Also looking at the parental characters in LBT it seems possible that they just meant to avoid a majority of male / female characters. Littlefoot of course still has both of his grandparents, but his grandfather tends to play a slightly more active part.
Cera has only her father. And Ducky's and Petrie's parenty are both represented through the mother only.
Personally I don't think that Judith Barsi's murder played a role in the decision, but of course I cannot prove this point. Let everyone think what everyone wants to think.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt what happened to her had any part to play.  I assume they do it since they don't want to animate another adult swimmer or flier, and the lines they would have them say would be similar likely to what the mother says.  Similar reason why Grandma Longneck seldom speaks, she says basically the same as Grandpa Longneck.  

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I cant remember when i read about it, but the one day i went to see what other movies Judith Barsi was in and when i read that she died i was really sad. The next day i wanted to read more about her and was just disturbed.. It makes the first movie even sadder :(

Yep!Yep!Yep!

• Ruby
    • View Profile
With any luck Josef Barsi is rotting in Hell!

Judith's best friend Trixy Castro mentioned that, for months after Judith's murder, she was terrified that Josef would somehow come back to life and kill her :(

Trixy still finds it hard to talk about Judith, twenty-one years later

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Yep!Yep!Yep!,Apr 8 2009 on  01:25 PM
With any luck Josef Barsi is rotting in Hell!

Judith's best friend Trixy Castro mentioned that, for months after Judith's murder, she was terrified that Josef would somehow come back to life and kill her :(

Trixy still finds it hard to talk about Judith, twenty-one years later
Aww that's so sad. Of course her friends must be traumatised by it too..

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Still I would take more comfort or pleasure from the idea or her being well wherever she may be (if she continues to be) than from envisioning tortures for her father and murderer.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Until I had recently gotten back into LBT, I never even knew such a thing had happened. Poor kid... I feel really bad for her friend too. Imagine. At only ten years of age, being told your best friend was killed... What's even more sad is to think that Judith had such a long life ahead of her. Hopefully she will be at peace...

But when you think of it, Judith will always live on. In the hearts of her friends, family and fans.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
:cry  :cry2  :cry  i never knew that............i wish i never read this thread (sobbing like a baby)
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a real you-know-what, to say the least <_<.  I hate the thought that Trixy will have to perhaps deal with that haunting for life :(.