The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Lion Guard

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Um, never posted in here before but oh well.

This came out recently so thought I'd leave the video link here

https://www.facebook.com/OhMyDisney/videos/498806660275633/

I've known about it for some time but this is the first time they've had a Sneak Peak video.

Here for more information
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Guard

Thoughts? Almost any commercially-developed 2D animation these days is digitized, either entirely like with flash or using pen tablets/monitors as is what I think this is

Personally I find this quite exciting!  :DD  :birthday

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I remember seeing that video before, and I'm not really all that impressed. I thought it was okay at first, but as soon as Kion's roar brought forth those cloud lions, I kind of had to roll my eyes. Yes, the first film and second film had Mufasa appear in the clouds, but that was more just Simba seeing it; it wasn't some kind of special power that Simba could use at will.

Yeah I know this series is advertised as "The Lion King Meets The Avengers", but that's probably why I'm not liking this so far. When I think TLK, I do not think "animals with magical powers fighting bad guys".

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I am quite unsure what that was all about. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Still, I think it's worth seeing, considering it's both Lion King related, Disney related, and not so vectorized.

Only other cartoon TV show on my radar this year (that I know about I guess) is Guardians of the Galaxy. Bojack Horseman won't be back till next year I presume.

edit: and technically Dreamworks Dragons is 3D

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
giving kiara a little brother doesnt solve a couple problems left unanswered with the end of 2.
1 Who takes over if anything happens to Kovu?
and 2. Who will Vitani have as a mate?
 Given Kovus conduct in the second film, hes not king material anyway, but as of yet hes the only  young adult male in the pride. a little brother 1. would be far too young to take over should 1 happen, and 2 would be far too young for Vitani. at her age Vitani needs a mate in the short term, not long term.
 the first couple films had some magic - with Rafiki being a mystic. but not the over-the-top 'magic call' that TLG has. i dont expect the series to last very long, and i certainly wont be watching it. this is simply Disney milking the franchise even more than 2 and 1.5 did.

Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I wouldn't know of the family politics much as it's been a while for me having watched the movies, still how can't it be worth at least well checking out to prove or disprove conclusions? *shrugs*

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The animation and voice acting is classic high quality Disney but the emblem that appeared on Kion's left foreleg after he roared and the cloud lions that appeared after his roar...

Seems a bit too much like a crossover between Lion King and The Avengers for my taste.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I am so looking forward to this! I'm probably the biggest TLK fan here on the forums, really it's my fandom. I love TLK! But why is Kion able to roar as a cub when Simba couldn't?
8 years with TGOF :yum

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
All I can say is guess we'll find out!
I am kind of thinking the roar partly came from the clouds

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey I'm not the biggest Lion King fan on the planet, but I'll give it a go.

The animation's not too bad, nor is the voice acting. But, if this is set before TLK2, then what role does he play when Kovu comes into the picture? Where was he the whole film, why was this never mentioned? (Because disney thought of it really late, that's why and they want to sell more toys) I guess it will all be explained. one thing, however, that just really weirds me out is that roar scene. Like, what the heck was that? It wasn't endearing or empowering, it was just kind of...strange. To me, at least. But, hey, I'm all for the "animals with powers" trope.

Also, honey badger don't give a s***

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've seen some of this and so far I'm not really enjoying it. Some of the things just don't make sense.

The first thing that annoys me is the whole "protect the circle of life" thing and how the hyenas want to disregard it and kill whenever they want to. I'm not really sure what the point of this is. The first movie never really indicated that the circle of life needed protection, nor any indication that some animals (hyenas and vultures) had a thing against it. And making them want to demolish the circle of life or whatever just seems like a pretty cheap way to make them into the bad guys.

And another thing I don't like is Kiara's portrayal. If they wanted Kion to have an "annoying sibling" and conflict with said sibling, they could have accomplished this without altering Kiara's personality. She didn't have to be turned into a rather smug, show-offy lioness bragging about her heritage to become the queen. I mean, a part of her character in TLK2 is not wanting to become queen.

I really don't know why they couldn't have kept her just how she was in the early parts of TLK2. There was already plenty of conflict for Kion at this point. Kiara being a reckless little child who wanders into danger without thinking about it (just like how Simba himself did in the first movie), having something of a disregard for rules (based on what I remember), and not caring about ruling the pridelands (and therefore not likely caring about wanting to watch over it) would have been more than enough material to work with to make her clash with Kion, who is more responsible.

But it just seems like they altered her personality in an attempt to make Kion look better, and that is such a disappointment. They already had stuff to work with in regards to their clashing; they didn't have to change Kiara in order to show that Kion was the more responsible sibling.

About the only thing I'd say this show has going for it is the animation. It's not too bad, and some visuals are pretty nice, like in the song "Tonight We Strike". Voices aren't bad either. But when it comes to story and some of the characters, I feel it could have been done much better, personally.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I've watched it too. Well it seems every of the bad guys knows about the past Lion Guard so that's why they wanted to kill as many animals as possible so that they could catch the attention of the new forming Lion Guard and hopefully get rid of them while they can? I dunno.

I haven't watched TLK2 in foreeeeever so I can't say much about Kiara but after what you've said I dunno why they changed her.

I do like the voicework of quite a few characters and the animation really stands out sometimes. But really, especially as a cartoon, it's targeted at it's TV-Y audience lol. I noticed something kind of similar with the Guardians of the Galaxy tv show. it was fun to watch but it did feel geared towards kids.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I loved the Lion Guard. I just wish Kiara was an adult.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have no idea why they didn't place The Lion Guard after The Lion King 2, honestly.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 1 2015 on  05:31 PM
I have no idea why they didn't place The Lion Guard after The Lion King 2, honestly.
Very good point. A lot of kids today aren't even aware of TLK 2 & 1/2.... It's sad... And where is Kovu!?

Lord Beerus

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I've seen it too, true there are a few things wrong with it, like that plot hole where Scar killed  the old lion guard but some how escaped punishment, though I imagine scar did a good job at covering his tracks.

Also there is the fact that the Hyena clan is led by Janja, a male. However I can over look this.

All and all, a good show, at least it doesn't break the fourth wall like Jake and the never land pirates, or some other little kids shows.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If anyone's interested, Amazon and ITunes has the first episode of the series available now for free.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Stitch,Dec 15 2015 on  01:18 PM
If anyone's interested, Amazon and ITunes has the first episode of the series available now for free.
True! Plus it's also on the Disney Channel Watch App for free.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Sisi ni sawa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjsfZVIBug

Digging it so far!
Kovu and the outland cubs are supposed to make cameo appearances sometime during the season, looking forward to that. I'm interested to see how things play out :smile

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yea there's been the movie and two episodes so far :)
It gets kiddish sometimes (for obvious reasons) but I'm really diggin' the combo of animation, art style, and VA. Songs can be pretty nice sometimes too

I like Ono the best

how would you order the characters by what you've seen so far?

(although I can't help myself when animated animals sing xD)

edit: OH GREAT x-x thanks for posting the youtube link >-> now i've listened to it 5 times  :bang