The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time WD Fanart Contest Winner

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Aug 24 2010 on  12:46 PM
I'm just curious, but where did the 1,000 dollars came from?  Who donated it for the purpose of the contest?

Honestly an amount of prize money that high sounds too good to be true.  Sky is right to be careful.

Caustizer.
Basically speaking, I'm a smart saver.  My big purchases of expensive stuff were very few this year. (This includes any medical bills.) So me saving up was easy.

Add on the fact that I get $1100 to $1650 from paychecks at work (after deducting stock, insurance, taxes, etc.) per month, and the fact that I don't drive a car, but take the bus, with a discount card (Which is permanent and I can get a new one for free if it ever breaks. (Has happened only once since I got it in High School.)) and pay a small rent fee just because I live with my parents, it's probably more understandable now.  Heck, I could probably live on my own and still do well. (Just not purchase as much as I would like.)

With me having nearly $20,000 saved up right now, $1,000 is no big.

I can understand being cautious and all, but with me, you don't need to worry.  Seriously, I'm not THAT evil. (Except in acting roles.  That's where I'm truly evil. :D )

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Hmm...
I thought and talked it with some friends... Uhm, would you guys be okay if I kept the money? I don't want to sound greedy and selfish though. :unsure:
But with the money, I would be one step closer to finance a Cintiq graphics tablet (ok, that SOUNDS greedy and selfish, no matter how I say it :bang My apologies... :bang :cry).
But I could still share it with people who needs the money. :)

If there's going be another contest, I'll be staying out for sure to give others a chance, no matter what prize you can get.  :yes

Oh, and I should also say to Sky that people wanted his picture of Longneck Family to be eligible. People voted for it despite it NOT being eligible just because you didn't get it turned in in time. You wouldn't believe how much I got begged. They just loved it.
Therefore, I deeply apologize I couldn't make it in time. -_-

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Aug 24 2010 on  12:02 PM
It's kinda unfair too though, about the voting. If I had uploaded more, I would have less votes for my Mo picture.
Maybe so, but I still think it's likely that you would have won anyway. Clearly, a lot of people thought that that little sketch was deserving of a vote; if you had finished your "Longneck Family" picture in time, you would definitely have won by a much greater margin.

And if you calculated the votes to single members together, then Malte would have won with 21 votes in total. :unsure:
Incidentally, Malte had almost the opposite sentiments about the number of pieces he submitted.

Me, I entered the contest mainly because I saw that it was intended as a tribute to The Land Before Time; I didn't expect to win, and was honestly surprised that I got two votes (thank you, Kacie and DarkWolf ;)). I can understand how you'd feel guilty about accepting the prizeóI'm sure I'd feel the same way if I had won the contestóbut personally, I think you deserve it. :yes If you still feel self-conscious about accepting it, though, and do use it to buy a Cintiq table (thus enabling you to create even better artwork), perhaps you should abstain from future contests. :p Seriously, though, Kacie already suggested what I think are the best options; there's not much else I can add.

If you think that the voting was unfair, perhaps future contests could describe the voting process in the rules (which could perhaps be topped with a message like "PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING ARTWORK"), so that participating artists are aware of how the winner will be decided (A lot of us were confused by just how this was going to work.). Another, additional possibility (which might not make as much difference) is that a limit could be established on how many pieces a single person is allowed to submit (Perhaps a maximum of five? Seems fitting :p).

EDIT: Whoop-see…I'm a little late. :oops (Curse my low writing speed! :bang) Yeah, I'm fine with your choice, Sky. :) I'd LOVE to see the kind of artwork you could make with a Cintiq tablet! :smile

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You won this fair and square and well deserved Sky and really shouldn't have any negative feelings about it Sky :yes
When it comes to art I might, false modesty aside, pride myself for being many-sided but when it comes to quality of the art work you are definitely the winner and I hope that me and many others can learn from you as we do already ;)
I was surprised about the nature and the dimension of the prize but I really think that it may have been a very good thing that it was not announced beforehand as it might have created an ugly competitive spirit or even if it had not people might have been under the impression that any contributor may have contributed for the sake of money rather than the community thing which this competition was (and for that great thanks go to you John :)).
The money is John's (or used to be when he doesn't accept any of the offers for second thoughts) and he can do what he wants with it and there is absolutely nothing illegal about setting ones money as a prize.
I congratulate Sky as a very well deserving winner. Have a good time with the money fairly won and don't let yourself be talked into any "bad consciousness" kind of thing which I think would be entirely out of place.
I thank John for his generousness to set so high a prize and also for his sense of not announcing it previously which might have hurt the spirit of the competition. I also thank him for organizing it to begin with.
And finally I pay my respects for the art of all the other artists and also to the participants in the votes without you this beautiful even would not have worked out.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, Sky has accepted the money and I sent it via Paypal, as our agreed arrangement.  It is his to do with as he wishes.  Whatever it is, I don't care.  It's his choice.

That is all.  Good day! :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, here's the video that announces the winner.  Sorry it took so long.

The Land Before Time WD Fanart Contest Winner Video

Nice surprise, huh? ;)

See ya later!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh gosh! Oh golly! (to put it in Shyler's words) this video is quite a nice surprise and prize rare indeed! :lol:
For unless I am totally ScatTer-brained and have just forgotten (but having read through the titles of all the episodes I have none of the titles reminded me of the scenes from the video) this video shows scenes from a Dink episode I have never seen. Please tell me John, what is the title of this episode? :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 27 2010 on  09:18 AM
Oh gosh! Oh golly! (to put it in Shyler's words) this video is quite a nice surprise and prize rare indeed! :lol:
For unless I am totally ScatTer-brained and have just forgotten (but having read through the titles of all the episodes I have none of the titles reminded me of the scenes from the video) this video shows scenes from a Dink episode I have never seen. Please tell me John, what is the title of this episode? :D
It's called "The Secret".  It was the final episode of Dink, the Little Dinosaur.  You can watch the full episode at the following link, which also has download links in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cKwMjpQPg

It's a good episode to watch and a good end to the franchise.

Like I've said before in other threads, the show had the potential for another season, but competition got the best of it.  Oh well! :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
ScaTter-brained I have been indeed, but not for forgetting about an episode I have watched, but rather for forgetting to watch an episode I already have on my computer. Somehow I must have overlooked it all the time. Thanks for the reminder :yes

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Oh wow! That was quite a nice surprise to announce the winner like that.  :smile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Aug 27 2010 on  02:00 PM
Oh wow! That was quite a nice surprise to announce the winner like that.  :smile
I figured it was best to show myself finally.  People have been wondering what I look like, and there ya go! (Some days, I might have a bit of a beard, but not much else.) I've got some future video plans and they require my face, so it's best people know what I look like. :)

Oh, and as for the others that entered, here's a page just for you guys.

http://www.thelandbeforetimewd.com/The-Lan...t-Runnerups.php

Hope you like it.

See ya later! :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much John, not just for this page but for this great community building project as a whole :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
It says something that you were willing to both show your face and give a speech for the video. :yes Did you rehearse or otherwise prepare what you were going to say ahead of time, or did you just turn on the video camera and go for it?

And thank for the page featuring the runner-ups. :) Though shouldn’t there be a link to it on the Fanart Contest page?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Aug 31 2010 on  06:38 PM
It says something that you were willing to both show your face and give a speech for the video. :yes Did you rehearse or otherwise prepare what you were going to say ahead of time, or did you just turn on the video camera and go for it?

And thank for the page featuring the runner-ups. :) Though shouldn’t there be a link to it on the Fanart Contest page?
It all comes out off the top of my head pretty much.  I do think about what I want to say before giving a speech and such, but it's all pretty much unscripted.  It's the way I work.

Also, I have noticed a few mistakes I made on the page.  I'll hopefully have it fixed by Sunday.  Why so long?  I'm in the middle of an update at this point.  All I've got planned for my site through September is quite a change. :)

Well, see ya guys later! :)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm glad everything's worked out for everyone :yes This is the first time I've heard about the contest, but I'm sure had I known about it I would not have submitted anything. I don't fancy myself an artist.

Congratulations Sky! :celebrate