The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

In the eyes of a gamer.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm a gamer myself. When I walked into Gamestop I knew what I was gonna get and that would be Super Mario Galaxy 2. But when I looked to my left, I saw Red Dead Redemption. I picked both of the games up in my hands, looked at them and thought "A lot of people love both of these games. Including the critics. But...what if its another "overhyped" game that might disappoint me?" :unsure:  I love Mario games but I would love to try out Red Dead Redemption! Unfortunately I only have enough money for one game..."

Another gamer (who seemed like he was 17) walked up to me and said, "trying to decide what game to get? If I were you, I'd get Red Dead Redemption. I wouldn't waste my time with a childrens game." Childrens game? I was slightly offended by this because I like most cartoonish games. A TRUE kids game would be Elmo's Letter adventure. Not a Mario game! Mario games are an ALL AGES video game. In the end I bought SMG2 and decided to save up for RDR.

Hardcore gamers play games a lot. Casual gamers play occasionally. And yet, the DS outsells PSP by thousands of units!  America=Halo Reach, Japan=Pokemon. Everyone has different tastes in video games. I know plenty of hardcore gamers dislike Kingdom Hearts. Sure, they were childish. Sure, the stories were a bit saccharine. Sure, the gameplay was a bit primitive and repetitive. But they were charming,  endearing, and fun. At least, I thought they were.

What are your thoughts about video games, gamers, and "childrens games?"

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The DS outsells the PSP because the latter is a lackluster handheld.

Anyway, those are some very broad questions you're asking. I don't how to properly answer what I think of videogames. I like the ones I like and I think as long as they're fun, it shouldn't matter what kind of game they are (within reason).

As for gamers: to tell the truth, the GoF members are probably among the only other gamers I can even stand to converse with, because the more serious parts of the gamer community is largely a bunch of spoiled whiners who are never pleased no matter how much sweat and blood their "favorite" developers put into their work. I don't mind a gamer speaking out as long as they have an understandable plight. Such as owning a DS and being a Lunar fan, but being stuck with the abomination that is Lunar: Dragon Song while PSP owners get Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star or if an Alone in the Dark fan has issue with the latest games of that series having poor controls and level designs. But if the complain is about Resident Evil 4 and 5 being far more user friendly in terms of controlling Leon or Chris than in previous titles, you can expect me to roll my eyes and call you stupid.

As for children's games. Bah! Ignore cretins who bash franchises that the "all ages" approach. Mario games have always been and probably always will be fun as hell to play.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
My only problem with the PSP is that it just doesn't have very good games aside from Y's Seven and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. When I go to Gamestop, I usually always find a game I want to try, be it for X-Box 360, PS2(yeah, I still play PS2), Wii, and even DS. I've actually had to ask the clerks if they know any good games for the PSP. That's pretty friggin' sad. Oh, and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology SUCKS!! If you have a PSP and like the Tales franchise, do NOT get that game. It's boring and simply dull. Worst Tales game ever.

I personally prefer the older Mario games. Back when Bowser wasn't a joke and when Peach was actually tolerable. I just don't like how everyone acts like every Mario game is God's gift to the world. They're good games but they have their flaws. No offense but I have played games I've liked better than Mario.

I know plenty of hardcore gamers dislike Kingdom Hearts.

They must be the same people who whine about how Kingdom Hearts' story is "too complicated"  <_<

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Or one of the tools that just can't stand that Sora isn't much of an angster.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Oh man, I'm guilty of owning both a DS and a PSP.
To be honest, I like the PSP's layout and controls much better. It's just more comfortable for me, plus the analong stick is freaking wonderful. But, alas, the DS has all of the games that I prefer. The only thing I really use my PSP for is KH: Birth by Sleep, God of War and watching movies. I might pick up the new MGS game, though. That's an awesome series.
I game way, way, way too much.
Also, Kingdom Hearts never struck me as particularly saccharine. It's imposed morals may be kind of simplistic, but even adhering to that system it presents a lot of intense emotional moments and complex philosophical problems. I don't think I've ever been so moved by a game's storytelling. That might just be because the question of friendship is one of particular importance to me, though.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have both RDR and Super mario Galaxy 2. For my money ed dead Redemption is much better. yeah i grew up on mario, but SUper mario Galaxy 2 didn't add much that you hadn't seen in the first galaxy. yeah there were more stars and you could ride yoshi, but thats about it..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor @ Oct 14 2010 on  06:04 PM
Or one of the tools that just can't stand that Sora isn't much of an angster.
I always thought Sora was somewhat "gangsta"! :lol:  

Quote from: Animeboye @ Oct 13 2010 on  07:45 PM
They must be the same people who whine about how Kingdom Hearts' story is "too complicated"
Anyone that says that clearly hasn't played a single KH game...

Quote from: DarkWolf91 @ Oct 16 2010 on  07:43 AM
It's imposed morals may be kind of simplistic, but even adhering to that system it presents a lot of intense emotional moments and complex philosophical problems. I don't think I've ever been so moved by a game's storytelling. That might just be because the question of friendship is one of particular importance to me, though.

Yeah...still, I had a little more emotion out of Metal Gear Solid 4 than I did with kingdom hearts Birth By Sleep.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Whenever it comes to hard core gamers, it comes to personal tastes. Others like RTS games while I would enjoy action RPG games. Personally I can play anything, maybe except turn based Japanese rpgs.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
With the amount of games I've played I'd probably say I'm moreso a hardcore gamer but that being said, that doesn't necessary mean that I'll avoid what's nowly been labelled as the "casual gamers market". As with clothes, I pay no attention to labels. If it suits my likes then I'll take it. I've got everything from Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Wii Sports and the like right up to hack 'em slash 'ems, blood, bones and body bits flying about the place like biological fireworks whether its via blade or high velocity shards of metal. I have both RDR and Mario Galaxy 2 and enjoy both of them in equal measure. I don't tend to go for RTS's but again, I have played a few so I'm not oblivious to them. I own both a DS and a PSP and my collection for both consoles is about the same. I find they tend to have longer dry spells for exclusive games but if it's something I'm looking forward to, I'll more than likely go for it. Casual game label or not...