The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Epic Journey

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I was watching the lbt and it came to me. The Land Before Time is a trully epic tale glorifying the dinosaurs who went out in search of the great valley. It's a myth being born right before your eyes. Even Littlefoot's birth, with all those little creatures gathering before him, like a little missiah. And here we are making this tale live on. What do you think? Am I exagerating, do you agree? Were the writers thinking like this?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think there are some things which might call for some kind of religious (or rather philosophical?) interpretation. In my opinion this is not so much the scene after the birth of Littlefoot (the Messias comparison seems a little far fetched to me) but definitely the "appearances" of Littlefoot's mother after her dead. One can interpret it in many ways. Was Littlefoot listening to the "voice of his heart" which mainly reminded him of facts he had known before? Or was there anything more tangible about the cloud image and the voice Littlefoot heard?
One rather typical theme picked up in the land before time is what I would like to refer to as the "Go West Theme" it would have been really very much of a surprise if in a "western" movie the Great Valley would have been located in any other direction.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
It's easier to follow the sun moving from east to west than for Littlefoot's mother to say somehting like follow the northern star, or whatever. Besides they didn't know directions, and the sun is a big important landmark with spiritual conotations, giver of life, light, and things like that. As for the mother talking with Littlefoot and telling him how to find the Great Valley is similar to the God's guidance in ancient epopoeia's (epics).
He was at a total lost and that little voice guided him back on his track.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They could have walked towards the rising sun and followed their own shadows in the afternoon just as well. However, in many cases (in film, literature etc.) the west is often "positive" while the east is often presented in a negative light. Land before time is just one example in a very long tradition.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Now that you mention it, that was interesting when all of those animals gathered around Littlefoot. Perhaps in a way it was symbolic to something, making way for someone important. At least that's what I think. :huh:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ Yes Littlefoot is God...anyone who follows him will find the Great Valley.  :lol:  Certainly was correct though.  I think its more philosophical though....find your friends by what they do, and trust them for it.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, you don't have to go calling Littlefoot a God, but you've got to admit that at least for a few of us the Land Before Time became more than a movie, something more like a myth than anything else =p

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Lol! I think he was kidding, but that still felt a little symbolic to me. After all he is the main character so maybe it represented that his role was most important. I don't know, sometimes that's how I look at things. But if he was a god he would have kicked that sharptooth's butt just by looking at it.  :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure if ones ability to kick anybody's butt is what makes gods out of beings. If that was the case that would make the earth rather densly populated by gods, and I wouldn't like any of them. If instead Littlefoot's sheer friendliness, willingness to help, his tolerance, his ability to question and debunk prejudices, and his ability to forgive were taken as signs for being god, that would allow a more monotheistic view on the world's population  :lol

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, Land Before Time the one and true religion  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I wasn't thinking of Littlefoot as much of a God, but more like a messiah, or a hero, but if you take a deaper look, you'll see that lbt is a tale of a "civilization" of dinosaurs that found their way to the great valley overcoming all sorts of dangerous things, and Littlefoot's roll is more of a leader and spiritual gide, their own personal Jesus  :rolleyes:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I dislike the outlook it would give on Littlefoot's future if he was to be considered as such. I don't really think one should overinterpret the land before time in a religious way.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm only kidding again, Malte. I'm sure because of his good nature he wouldn't have hurt the sharptooth, god or not, but then again, I'm sure he would have rather done something to help his mother. I'm a good natured person myself and would never like to harm others, but even if someone was stronger than me and he or she was harming my own mother I wouldn't just stand there and watch. I'd act despite the advantage he or she has over me. Even Littlefoot wanted to help his Grandfather fight the sharptooth in LBTII, despite the fact he was small compared to the sharptooth.

And yeah, there really isn't religion to the story. It's just an amazing adventure of five young dinosaurs trying to find the Great Valley.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
It's just an amazing adventure of five young dinosaurs trying to find the Great Valley.

Yup, that sums it up, a great story that hopefully will live through time, like the ancient epics. I was thinking, what if our civilization managed to live on 'till the year 3000, would people still watch things from 1988, hear our music? If computer records manage to survive, all our stuff would be recorded and available to everyone even a thousand years from know, would we just be museum pieces, or would a little kid in 3006 one day rent the Land Before Time and just get hooked up like we did? It would be amazing if that happened, too bad we'll probably never know for sure.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Sep 30 2006 on  05:08 PM
It's just an amazing adventure of five young dinosaurs trying to find the Great Valley.

Yup, that sums it up, a great story that hopefully will live through time, like the ancient epics. I was thinking, what if our civilization managed to live on 'till the year 3000, would people still watch things from 1988, hear our music? If computer records manage to survive, all our stuff would be recorded and available to everyone even a thousand years from know, would we just be museum pieces, or would a little kid in 3006 one day rent the Land Before Time and just get hooked up like we did? It would be amazing if that happened, too bad we'll probably never know for sure.
Yeah, by then we'll all be up in heaven, remincising together about our experiences while we were alive.  Talking and telling stories about LBT for all enternity. :lol:

I'm only kidding again, Malte. I'm sure because of his good nature he wouldn't have hurt the sharptooth, god or not, but then again, I'm sure he would have rather done something to help his mother. I'm a good natured person myself and would never like to harm others, but even if someone was stronger than me and he or she was harming my own mother I wouldn't just stand there and watch. I'd act despite the advantage he or she has over me. Even Littlefoot wanted to help his Grandfather fight the sharptooth in LBTII, despite the fact he was small compared to the sharptooth.

I don't know, to this day a part of me says that Littlefoot wanted revenge.  He simply had his chance to get revenge and he took it.  At the cost of nearly losing Petrie. :(

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I would have to agree with that, I think that part of Littlefoot's motive was revenge, but I don't think that was all of it. If he kept following their scent it might have led him to the Great Valley before the dinos there had a chance to unite forced like they do in the sequels. But yeah, a lot of it bores down to Littlefoot's petty revenge, nearly at the cost of Petrie. Its a shame they never make more of a commentary about how guilty Littlefoot must have felt for almost getting the flight challenged flyer killed.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose that the image of Littlefoot's motives for the fight with the sharptooth would look less like that if they had kept the movie the original way, with Littlefoot finding the Great Valley right after the quarrel with Cera, but returning to lead the others there. At least that book which I quoted before strongly emphasizes that the sharptooth was about to find the entrance to the Great Valley.
I will not argue the point that Littlefoot is likely to have felt some satisfaction at the idea of that sharptooth finding his end, but I wouldn't judge him as harsh as you do, blaming him for risking his friend in what you seem to consider an unnecessary fight.
First of all with the death of his mother I suppose Littlefoot (even under consideration of all that circle of life stuff) had more than just a petty reason for revenge.
Secondly sharptooth was undoubtedly a thread to all of them and the choice whether or not they had to face sharptooth was not all that of Littlefoot or his friends. Much rather they just picked the time and the ground on which to meet him.
There is some good reason to think that the sharptooth was really pursuing Littlefoot and his friends. We've mentioned the story about sharptooth's eye before, but even without that one being explicitly mentioned in the movie there are some signs that the sharptooth was really after Littlefoot.
For example, why didn't he go after that herd of longneck which ate most of the leafes of the copse of trees where Littefoot and the others stopped on their way?
A single straggler from that herd would have provided much more food for the sharptooth than Littlefoot and all his friends combined. With the tracks the herd must have left sharptooth must have been aware about their presence but decided to follow Littlefoot and the others instead through very adverse terrain.
There may be a flaw in my drift of thought as the herd too may have been headed for the Great Valley and with many other herds going that way sharptooth is likely to have ended up at the Valley even without a special obesession of catching Littlefoot.
But however that may be, sharptooth was between Littlefoot and his friends and the Great Valley. If they meant to go on (and without any food around they could just wait hoping that sharptooth would go away) they had to get him out of the way.
They all knew about the risk comming from sharptooth. I really don't think Littlefoot should be blamed as overly revengeful and careless about his friends. It is not like he was forcing them on a revenge campaign against sharptooth chasing him all through the Mysterious Beyond. Sharptooth was there and would have been a peril to them and the Great Valley even if Littlefoot had been very fond of the poor creature who just followed natural instincts, set by a cruel biology, when killing his mother.
I don't think that we should expect Littlefoot to be remorseful over sharptooth's death, yet I do think that one could expect some more inner conflict on Littlefoot's part whenever he is dealing with Chomper.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Just reading...

Oh and yeah, I was joking around saying Littlefoot was god. :p

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's a shame they cut all of that extra footage out. Funny, I never knew that until I joined this site. You bring up a lot of good points, Malte. Don't they have a disscusion similair to this one on the fourms? I think they mentioned this somewhere else, where they mentioned that face that Littlefoot made to Ducky when they were deciding who should be the bait to lure sharptooth to the giant water hole. Can't remember which one it was though.  :huh:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: KingdomKey23,Oct 1 2006 on  10:09 PM
It's a shame they cut all of that extra footage out. Funny, I never knew that until I joined this site. You bring up a lot of good points, Malte. Don't they have a disscusion similair to this one on the fourms? I think they mentioned this somewhere else, where they mentioned that face that Littlefoot made to Ducky when they were deciding who should be the bait to lure sharptooth to the giant water hole. Can't remember which one it was though.  :huh:
That was a topic I made.

It's been abandoned for about a year now.

It can be found here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...p?showtopic=455

Anyways, I don't think Littlefoot's ENTIRE motive was revenge, but I'm sure it was a big part of it, regardless.  Indeed the stalking and the threat Sharptooth would cause to The Great Valley would probably complete Littlefoot's entire motive to getting rid of the big bad Sharptooth. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't argue the point that Littlefoot was probably feeling satisfied about the end of that sharptooth. What I doubt is that revengefulness was a central reason for his decisions at the pond.
What should Littlefoot have done instead so he would be "cleared" of the reproach of revengefulness and carelessness about risking his friends lives? What alternatives did he have, alternatives with a good perspective that they would all live to tell the story?