The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How would YOU End the Land Before Time

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
This was a little idea I had in my head at 1:30 in the morning...pretty much, if you had to write the ending to Land Before Time, how would it go? You can be as long or short as you like, so long as it's clear.

I was thinking maybe something like...

magine this...all the dinosaurs are all waiting together for the asteroid heading to earth. They all enjoy each other's company before the cataclysm. You see the asteroid heading to earth as everyone has their own flashbacks..then BANG! Flash of white light upon impact....Millions of years into the future you see a museum and you see a bunch of human kids meeting up that talk and act like littlefoot and his gang. They all meet up and become friends. Then you see on display the fossils of the dino group.

...It's so sad and traumatizing...it's awesome

What would you do?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'd end it with the gang all grown up and with kids.  Sort of like a jump start into the future.  It wouldn't have to be gradual or anything, but it would be cool to see that they all grew up having kids of their own, being able to tell them about the adventures they used to have together when they all were kids.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: Achillobator,Jul 7 2008 on  10:38 PM
Imagine this...all the dinosaurs are all waiting together for the asteroid heading to earth. They all enjoy each other's company before the cataclysm. You see the asteroid heading to earth as everyone has their own flashbacks..then BANG! Flash of white light upon impact....Millions of years into the future you see a museum and you see a bunch of human kids meeting up that talk and act like littlefoot and his gang. They all meet up and become friends. Then you see on display the fossils of the dino group.

What would you do?
That's actually a nice idea...although...realistically, I don't think the producers would ever do something like that :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'd leave the end open enough for anyone to continue the story. Neither would I end everything through the ultimate disaster, nor would I have such a glimpse into the future whose main purpose would be to prevent many possible stories. J. K. Rowling included such a chapter at the end of the last Harry Potter book. She did for good reason of course, trying to avoid at least some of the pleas for another book, but that chapter was not exactly popular in general and personally I was not particularly fond of it either.
I will not deny though that I too had a short story in mind which would be an end to LBT. I thought that dinosaurs (unlike most humans) may have a kind of instinct that tells them beyond any doubt when their end is coming. I thought about a short story with the last living member of the gang taking a last trip outside the Big Wall and the Great Valley to die in the Mysterious Beyond. One could make it a sad and sentimental story, but I don't think I will ever actually type it down, the much the more as memories of the past would realistically have to include memories from the character's grownup days too, thereby making this story no less of a blocker of other stories than a Rowling like glimpse at the future.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Normally I like dark themes, but ending LBT with death(not that anybody's ideas are wrong here) would be way too depressing.  I could never look at LBT the same again, in regards to its happy, positive existence(if that makes sense).  I would love to see it end with the Gang all grown up and waiting for their children to hatch with their spouses(mates) by their sides :^.^:.  I cannot work out all the kinks right now, but that is a general idea of what I would do :yes.  The ending would still be left open for fanfiction.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't exactly know how I'd end it, but there would be an end, at least for the present gang's adventure. Nothing apocalyptic, but definite. I would probably use the "grown up" technique so that the next stories could focus on the children of the gang, who  would be entirely new characters and bring a fresh perspective to the stories. I plan on using this approach for my fanfic as well.

Lucario#1

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://msn.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 8 2008 on  02:29 AM
I'd end it with the gang all grown up and with kids.  Sort of like a jump start into the future.  It wouldn't have to be gradual or anything, but it would be cool to see that they all grew up having kids of their own, being able to tell them about the adventures they used to have together when they all were kids.
I would have thought of the same thing!!! :p

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh geeze, no one likes the dramatics! :p Fiiiine.

I actually REALLY like Malte's ending, it's pretty good. Reminds me of one of those like...drama movies that people love to watch :D

I also am noticing a very popular idea for the end. Where the gang has children. That's pretty good in a non-sad way! :p

Great ideas people!

Also, I thought of that ending because I was thinking of the Titanic last night :p

Lucario#1

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://msn.com
Quote from: Achillobator,Jul 8 2008 on  12:33 PM
Oh geeze, no one likes the dramatics! :p Fiiiine.

I actually REALLY like Malte's ending, it's pretty good. Reminds me of one of those like...drama movies that people love to watch :D

I also am noticing a very popular idea for the end. Where the gang has children. That's pretty good in a non-sad way! :p

Great ideas people!

Also, I thought of that ending because I was thinking of the Titanic last night :p
that cartoon is funny :lol

Spike_of_the_Valley

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how I'd do it exactly, but I would kill off at least one of Littlefoot's grandparents.  You know, to get the whole "moving on" message across and all that stuff.  

Oh, and an apocalyptic ending wouldn't work, because it specifically says in the original ending of the movie that the dinosaurs continued on for at least a few generations afterwards.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm...

I don't know the exact details;

But basically, if I ended the series, I would have it tell the audience that there would be no more movies/episodes.

Yet at the same time leave it open ended enough for fan fiction writers and fan art drawers.

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Spike_of_the_Valley,Jul 8 2008 on  07:27 PM
I'm not sure how I'd do it exactly, but I would kill off at least one of Littlefoot's grandparents.  You know, to get the whole "moving on" message across and all that stuff. 

Oh, and an apocalyptic ending wouldn't work, because it specifically says in the original ending of the movie that the dinosaurs continued on for at least a few generations afterwards.
Yes, and Cera also had a bunch of siblings in the original, but they mysteriously all died off :p

that cartoon is funny :lol

What cartoon?

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
imaginating of being in charge, i couldn't end it. i guess i would just try to create new adventures, letting all of them slowly grow up until I die...just to make those like us happy      n_n

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd end it like any other movie, since even if Universal had told me this would be the last one, they may change their minds later, 5 or 10 years later, so with my ending the next team, assuming I"m not in it, could easily do another one.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
It would be nice to jump ahead and see how the GOF had grown up, but only if it was at the end of the film. The only problem with movies like that is sometimes they kill off a main character, or ruin something, or completely change it. I mean, at the moment, you can watch any of the movies, and you can imagine that the GOF will be still doing that the next day. If a movie changes something simple like that, suddenly it becomes serious, and you think, "If only it could have stayed that way".

For example, a movie that did this (in my opinion) was Pirates Of The Caribbean.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

The first movie was cool, and it ended with everything all well and good, Will and Elizabeth presumably about to be married, and Jack sailing the seas in his reclaimed ship, off for new adventures. You could picture that that would continue until they grew old.

But in the later films, Jack loses his ship to the villains again, Will is confined to sea for a long time, and just about everybody gets killed. It kind of ruins the feel of the films.

However, if they did end the films, I would love it to be a film a bit more serious than the rest, getting scary, and possibly removing the threat of Redclaw once and for all. Then, the characters could settle down and grow up, and we could see how they all end up, married, with kids, and seeing Spike talking!

And if they wanted to take it further, they could actually show them all old, and maybe Littlefoot being the last one left, and the leader of the GV. Then it could have him passing on, like Hazel at the end of Watership Down, and maybe being reunited with his mother, the GOF, and others. Then finally, showing him watching a new group of young dinosaur friends going off on an adventure.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
By the way, it's something that most people forget when they do these things, or make evil fan-fics/parodies, but Littlefoot and friends are in no danger from the meteorite. The K-T event is centuries away, as the end of the first film clearly states, "And they all grew up together in the valley, generation upon generation, each passing on to the next, the tale of their ancestor's journey to the valley, long ago".

With this in mind, we can actually assume that the GOF remained in the valley, grew up and had kids, and their story became a popular legend (Makes you wonder if 2-13 became folk stories, hence the moral in each of them).

As for the bizarre events that have befallen everyone (Meteor showers, famine, snow, etc), the films also state that the lands are changing. I guess it's the end of an old Cretaceous epoch and the beginning of a new one, so new plants, animals and stuff like that are arriving (Instantly, as cartoon logic shows us).

(Also, a good thing about gaps in fossil records, is that you can use them as loopholes. For instance, they say that Apatosaurs and Stegosaurs would not have lived in the Cretaceous, but that's because no fossils have been found. So, you can twist the facts to somehow, but not exactly accurately, explain things in LBT)

Actually, I'm going to continue this from the last post; The way I'd end the series, would be the same as above, but in addition, we see one of the GOF's kids telling the story of the first movie, maybe even quoting it while the GOF's ghosts watch. You could even jump forwards years and years, seeing the story getting passed down, and even end the film with the same ending words of the first. Then, as they say that, pan the camera up to the stars, and see several shining stars standing out, representing the GOF (The Big Dipper, for instance. Seven stars, that includes the GOF, Chomper and Ruby).

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm with landbeforetimelover. Let them grow up and have kids. The next movie, if the series gets revamped, can just jump right back to when they were a kid and keep going from there, and I'm sure the target audience won't mind.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Well one idea I had for a conclusion could be that the grandchildren of Littlefoot and his friends are sitting around at night telling stories of their ancestors' journey to the Valley. A small longneck, roughly around Littlefoot's size, would be the one narrating the story while a Threehorn, a Swimmer, a Flyer, and a Spiketail listen to his story. Then we see a grown up Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike looking on and smiling at their descendents as they turn around and walk away into the night.

Another idea I had was based off of the OP's idea for a conclusion. My idea, if they were to do an LBT movie with humans would be that they could jump to modern times where we see an archeologist digging up a fossil which looks like Littlefoot's treestar from the first movie. After he returns home from the dig, he gives the fossil to his two sons, who have similiar traits to Littlefoot and Chomper. The next day the oldest boy brings the fossil to school to show his friends who each have similiar personality traits to Littlefoot's friends. The ending part would have the girl around his age saying she thinks it's fake, to which the boy would respond, "Is not, Sara!" The three younger kids would try to break up the arguement as they run outside to play "Dinosaur" together.