The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bestest Friends Instrumental Remaster

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Howdy!

As some of you know, I've worked on a number of LBT song projects here in the past. While some of the instrumental background music tracks I released came out pretty good, others really did leave a little something to be desired.

The one that stood out the most for me was Bestest Friends; I never really did make a nice-sounding instrumental release of it!

I had a background track version with no vocal parts that was decent but I never had a complete standalone piece that sounded any good. Part of the problem was that I simply didn't have the tech to handle really delicate exposed solo instruments with any grace, without it sounding horribly fake and artificial. It's a viciously hard song to do well using nothing but a computer because I can't hide anything behind anything else. Everything needs to sound REALLY good on its own.

Today I am here to fix that.  :D

I went through and remastered my old Bestest Friends instrumental using current-generation technology and the care and love that the gorgeous song deserves.

I took a couple of artistic liberties when it came to the instrument choices for the vocal parts:

Petrie's part is performed by a solo flute.
Ducky's part is performed by a warm jazz guitar layered with subtle electronic effects.
Cera's part is performed by a solo flugelhorn (a warmer, mellower version of a trumpet).

I'm not sure how many other songs I'll do this for but I really felt this song had it coming. Basically I'm just taking my old MIDI and tweaking it so that it plays nice with my virtual instruments. I don't intend on making any new MIDIs from scratch or releasing songs that I haven't previously done for our LBT singing projects. I made this using my old Bestest Friends MIDI from back in the day.

I hope you enjoy it. :) Comments are always welcome as I'm always looking to improve.

---------------

Without further delay:

Bestest Friends (Instrumental ballad, 2015 Remaster) - 320 kbps MP3

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Also known as DesertLily32 on FF.net
    • View Profile
Gosh! This is so cool! Just with the interments, the song sounds emotional (maybe cuz I'm envisioning the scene inside my head). I like how you made different parts for each of the characters. I actually play the flute myself. You should totally make another one (that is, when you get time).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

I actually play the flute myself.
Awesome! I attempted the flute but I just never really fell in love with it. I played trumpet for 6 years in school and I actually own an old trumpet that I occasionally mess around on. I'm not too good though anymore.  :lol

As a flute player, did you find the flute part sounded fairly convincingly-real or did it just leave a bad taste in your mouth? :p
As a trumpet player I'm REALLY picky about getting a good trumpet sound out of my virtual instruments and I'm never really satisfied haha.

You should totally make another one (that is, when you get time).
We shall see.
If I am to do another one....let's see, what song.....
It's probably a toss-up between Always There and No One Has To Be Alone...Beyond The Mysterious Beyond could be pretty awesome too though!

...Though I've always been tempted to do a rock arrangement of Adventuring.  :p The song just screams "play me with electric guitars" haha.

Will I do another one? No idea yet.

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Also known as DesertLily32 on FF.net
    • View Profile
I think the flute part sounded real enough.

You should totally do a rock version of some song. As a fellow rocker, I would love to see how that would sound.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whoa, that sounds amazing! I guess I reactivated your motivation to do these things with my second take on the Singing Project, huh? ;)
Inactive, probably forever.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Nov 19 2015 on  03:35 AM
Whoa, that sounds amazing! I guess I reactivated your motivation to do these things with my second take on the Singing Project, huh? ;)
Indeed. It's all your fault.  :nyah

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Got around to downloading this today, and I've got to say, I love it! :smile
I think you handled the solo parts excellently, this track is very fun to listen to :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
:D

I find I'm never completely satisfied with my work no matter how it turns out. I'm forever noticing little things that I wish I could make better but I'm forced to just call "good enough" for whatever reason.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)