The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An idea for a Reboot "Members Meeting Chars" RP

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I had a thought after creating my own self-insert on tumblr this month.

What if we as characters, go into the world of LBT and just go about it like we actually live in that world, but there are certain triggers that have us recall our old lives now? It would make a nice twist to the all self-insertion thing. And for simplicity's sake all of us are pulled from our time capsules and time just stops where we left off, so when the end result happens to get us all back home, we can go back to our lives as it was when this RP started in real time.

We can do this to create characters as how we imagine we would live as prehistoric creatures in the world of LBT, different names, different situations, but our personalities are the same. And the farther along we go interact with our environment, we remember more and more of our old lives.

But tell me what you think about this or if you can think of anything else to twist this idea.  ^^spike

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I really regretted not being on this forum while this great RP was running. I'd love to try playing as myself in the great dinosaur world, interacting with you guys who are doing the same :)
Inactive, probably forever.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind a reboot of this RP and give the more newer members a chance to join in. I would be game for it.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Same here.  I would certainly be interested in joining in any reboot of the original roleplay.  As for the interesting twist of having us live normal dinosaur lives until we begin to remember things, I think that is an interesting idea.  Another variant that could be considered is that we enter the roleplay living normal dinosaur lives, but don't actually remember much of anything of either of our pasts (human or dinosaur) like we have Guido-like amnesia, but then we begin to remember the human side of things in bits and pieces.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm all for this! I remember participating in this RP many years ago, when I was just a green writer. It was a lot of fun, and I could see it potentially revitalizing the Roleplay section. Count me in!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like it could be fun.    

Wonder if we'd remember dinosaur lives to begin like, or be more like Guido, or should it be up to the player to decide?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would most certainly be interested in joining this RP.  There's hardly any action in this section anymore, and it would be nice to bring it back to life a little more :yes.

For those of us who participated in the original RP, it'll be interesting to see how time has changed our characters.  I know that, after reading through the old RP posts, I'm DEFINITELY not that same wackadoodle persona...funny how time and life experience change you :lol.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Nov 13 2016 on  12:29 AM
I would most certainly be interested in joining this RP.  There's hardly any action in this section anymore, and it would be nice to bring it back to life a little more :yes.

For those of us who participated in the original RP, it'll be interesting to see how time has changed our characters.  I know that, after reading through the old RP posts, I'm DEFINITELY not that same wackadoodle persona...funny how time and life experience change you :lol.
Right? So much has changed. I think I would be completely different getting into this again. Still, really hoping we can get this going. It'll liven this section up a bit!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Well it seems there's certainly some interest in this. I'm just going to throw this out there, but would anyone want to take charge of this? Set up a recruitment/character page, formulate some rules, etc? I couldn't lead it myself (and since I only participated slightly in the last one it wouldn't seem right), but if someone were willing to take charge with this, I'd be happy to help out.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey everybody, apologies for not responding to this quickly.

I can offer to set things up again and retake my role as DM, but ( and especially if this RP gets pretty big) I would like some co-DMs or "mods" of this game to help it along. I'm expecting things to get busy after the holidays, and might even take a gap year after this month passes. So, we'll what the future holds. But yes, if no one is going to step up to get this going, I will.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I certainly wouldn't mind being a mod! Like you, my issue is time, but it's not so much of an issue that I can't check in daily. If you need someone who will be involved to fill one of those positions, I'd be more than happy to do so!

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The original RP had some good ideas and was quite fun. Though I was a little dissatisfied with my contribution to it(In all fairness, I was fifteen and my writing prowess was hardly impressive then). So I would be more than happy to do this again.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, just a quick note to bump this topic so everybody knows this is still being considered. I'll make one or two more polls about rules and the set up before I make a new general discussion thread. I also have the list of all characters in my drafts, so that will have its own thread.

And on that note, back to work for me!  :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I certainly remember being part of the first run of this RP idea, and had quite a few rather ambitious ideas for it too. These days, however, I'm no longer capable of dedicating the time needed to be part of another RP, so I will not be part of this reboot. Though I will be following along, reading the posts, and occasional might even make comments in the discussion topic.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I had a blast with the original RP, but sadly my passion for LBT is not what it once was, and I doubt that I would be able to find the time to compose posts with any degree of regularity. That said, I wish this reboot the best of luck, and hope you all have tons of fun. :)

Just to be clear, will participants be doing the same thing as we did in the original RP; playing "self-insert” OCs, with canon LBT characters played additionally? (Somehow, when I first skimmed these posts, my easily-mixed-up brain got the impression that some of you would be playing yourselves as canon LBT characters.)

I had hoped to offer some ideas for discussion regarding the different ways characters in the “Set-in Memories” and “Amnesiac” categories could be played, but for the life of me I can’t articulate them. :wacko So for the benefit of others who might potentially be uncertain about the categories, let’s just see if I have the basics straight:
  • “Set-in Memories” characters have no human memories, but they have histories within the LBT world as if they had always lived there (e.g., childhood memories; familiarity with LBT-specific customs, places, and terminology not revealed within the official series). Basically, they’ve had their human memories erased, but new memories implanted to allow them to integrate into the LBT world.
  • “Amnesiac" characters have no memories of human or LBT lives. Perhaps they retain a subconscious understanding of the LBT world based on their familiarity with the series (e.g., they know what the Great Valley is and can recognize a sharptooth when they see one), but they have no new memories added.
Is that about accurate?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Dec 14 2016 on  06:10 PM
I had a blast with the original RP, but sadly my passion for LBT is not what it once was, and I doubt that I would be able to find the time to compose posts with any degree of regularity. That said, I wish this reboot the best of luck, and hope you all have tons of fun. :)

Just to be clear, will participants be doing the same thing as we did in the original RP; playing "self-insert” OCs, with canon LBT characters played additionally? (Somehow, when I first skimmed these posts, my easily-mixed-up brain got the impression that some of you would be playing yourselves as canon LBT characters.)

I had hoped to offer some ideas for discussion regarding the different ways characters in the “Set-in Memories” and “Amnesiac” categories could be played, but for the life of me I can’t articulate them. :wacko So for the benefit of others who might potentially be uncertain about the categories, let’s just see if I have the basics straight:
  • “Set-in Memories” characters have no human memories, but they have histories within the LBT world as if they had always lived there (e.g., childhood memories; familiarity with LBT-specific customs, places, and terminology not revealed within the official series). Basically, they’ve had their human memories erased, but new memories implanted to allow them to integrate into the LBT world.
  • “Amnesiac" characters have no memories of human or LBT lives. Perhaps they retain a subconscious understanding of the LBT world based on their familiarity with the series (e.g., they know what the Great Valley is and can recognize a sharptooth when they see one), but they have no new memories added.
Is that about accurate?
I voted for “Amnesiac” in the poll with the assumption that your listed definitions were what Rat_Lady had in mind, but I would also be happy with letting each member pick one or the other. I think the idea of having some characters that are somewhat helpless would be interesting from a character development POV as would having characters that subconsciously know how to survive but are unsure of their identity or place in the world (like Guido in a way).

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I had a blast with the original RP, but sadly my passion for LBT is not what it once was, and I doubt that I would be able to find the time to compose posts with any degree of regularity. That said, I wish this reboot the best of luck, and hope you all have tons of fun.

Like I said in our FB chat, I and I'm sure others would be happy to have you in this game if you ever did want to enter, but I understand if you're not that passionate about it at the moment. Thanks for your comment at any rate!

That is correct. We will plays as ourselves as well as the canon characters.

OCs I don't mind being there either, but I think there needs to be restrictions on those. Like characters related to the canon characters can't be played here. This is a public RP platform and life happens, if a previous player drops one and someone else takes it but doesn't like that one OC is related or knows that one canon character, that's going to be a problem.

I had hoped to offer some ideas for discussion regarding the different ways characters in the “Set-in Memories” and “Amnesiac” categories could be played, but for the life of me I can’t articulate them.

Again, I'm happy to hear any suggestions on the setup before we start. Even if you're not going to participate, you still were part of this before, and you always share your thoughts with great care and consideration. Anyone that wants to add their thoughts about it before we begin you absolutely have the liberty to do so now.

So for the benefit of others who might potentially be uncertain about the categories, let’s just see if I have the basics straight:

“Set-in Memories” characters have no human memories, but they have histories within the LBT world as if they had always lived there (e.g., childhood memories; familiarity with LBT-specific customs, places, and terminology not revealed within the official series). Basically, they’ve had their human memories erased, but new memories implanted to allow them to integrate into the LBT world.

“Amnesiac" characters have no memories of human or LBT lives. Perhaps they retain a subconscious understanding of the LBT world based on their familiarity with the series (e.g., they know what the Great Valley is and can recognize a sharptooth when they see one), but they have no new memories added.

Is that about accurate?

You again are correct on both. If you were confused by my explanations, I'll admit I wrote them around midnight, so if the explanations seem a bit sloppy, that's why. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

Self-inserts can be played as if they're characters that lived in the world of LBT, have memories and history set in that verse then they regain their human memories over time. But they can also be played with having no memories period and they just gain more of them the more they interact with other characters and the setting.

I voted for “Amnesiac” in the poll with the assumption that your listed definitions were what Rat_Lady had in mind, but I would also be happy with letting each member pick one or the other. I think the idea of having some characters that are somewhat helpless would be interesting from a character development POV as would having characters that subconsciously know how to survive but are unsure of their identity or place in the world (like Guido in a way).

Yeah, that's basically what I'm getting at here. Either way our self-inserts come in, all of them have some degree of "not belonging" or feeling like a piece is missing.