The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land Before Time XIV Roleplay

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I had an idea to try and create a new Friendly (or friendly enough) Sharptooth OC.  This one would actually be a Bothtooth and in some ways will be the opposite of my ultimate villain, Gallim the Gallimimus (he's from the two part finale films of Land Before Time XVII.)

The premise of Friendly Sharptooth Flyer is that there is a marriage of a Pteranodon (flat tooth) and Pterodactylus (Sharp Beak).  It goes on fine for a while, but the Sharp Beak is truly in love with herself.  Being the jealous type, the mother (the carnivore), notices that her mate seems tired of her self-centeredness and seems likely to leave with her son Arnold, who seems to like dad more.  

So Agatha, the Sharptooth, lures her mate away from the nest and kills and eats him.  She needs an alibi of where daddy went so she says that evil leaf eaters murdered him and took the body  because he was a Sharptooth (Arnold is still too young to know that that couldn't be true) and she gets him to hate Leaf Eaters.  

She keeps him always around her, being overprotective and also controlling.  She doesn't like him eating Tree Stars and says it's not very like a Sharp Beak and that he should eat meat.  (Daddy gave him Tree Stars but Arnold doesn't realize why and always believes his mother.)

Agatha would be sort of a Mother Gothel like character, always warning her son about the dangers of the world and why he must always with her.    She would even have a villain song kind of similar to "Mother Knows Best", except here it'd be called "Listen to Mother".

Arnold would eventually get sick of her and her control over him and go off and explore the world for a bit.  

Agatha has control over Sharpbeak flyers and they go off looking for him.  He is eventually able to ditch them, but gets himself lost in a creepy part of the Mysterious Beyond (there seem to be lots of those in the films!   :lol  :lol   )

Arnold would find that all Sharpteeth aren't nice when he meets an Albertosaurus, and, after talking to him (Yeah, Arnold is bilingual.) , finds the creature wants to eat him rather than hunt with him.  Arnold is able to get away by biting the Sharptooht in the hand.  

What happens next seems possible to upset carnivore haters:  Arnold, feeling already hungry, and made more so by nearly dying and the fright it caused, goes on a hunt.  I'm hoping he comes off nice in this part that I have written for his song "It's a Hard and Cruel World Out There" and not as an a-hole.  

Arnold:  (Flying after his prey) It's a hard and cruel world out there!
 In this world there is many a scare!
          Having just been hunted myself it seems so strange
         That the position would now rearrange.  (Moves left.  The prey keeps moving.  He moves right, following it.)  
        But then again, this world is sad.
       Just think of what happened to my dad!
(Moves lower, extending claws)  
       They killed him when I was but a small lad.
       I’m doing this because I’m hungry, not because I’m bad!  
  (Swoops down and misses his prey)
      I certainly don't like to kill.
      It definitely gives me no thrill.
     I know that this business isn't neat
     But hey I've got to eat!  
     When I’m not hunting, you’ll find I’m really sweet.  
  (Spots his prey again)  It's a hard and cruel world out there.
    One can win only if one dares to dare.
    I seems as if nobody could care.  
You've got to try as hard as you can try
Or else you will certainly die.
And that’s the truth, I’m not going to lie.  
(To his prey)
I've got nothing against you.
This is something I just must do.
It's a hard and cruel world out there.
As you are no doubt surely aware.
It's not that I'm really fond of meat.
But goodness, you know I've got to eat!
(Misses his prey again)
(To his prey)
I hope you can forgive
A guy who is forced to hunt to live.  
Some may consider this to be rude
But I've got no Tree Stars for food!
 (Corners his prey against a canyon wall)
 (Moves down toward his prey)
I don't like the way things tend
But this is how it's going to end.
(Lands next to his prey, who is cornered against the wall and can only look at Arnold, trembling.)
(Sighs)
(To the trapped animal)
Trust me, I don’t find this next part fun.
I’ll concede you had a good run.
And if I weren’t so hungry, I’d have hoped that you’d won.  
It’s a hard and cruel world out there.
One has trouble not falling into despair.  
It's a hard and cruel world out there.
(Slowly) I know, it's just not fair.  (A tear falls from his left eye.)  
(It shows the shadow of him moving his left claw at the animal and he lets out a Pterodactylus victory cry.)

It doesn't actually show him striking the death blow here, but switches to Petrie, who, hearing Arnold's victory cry, wakes up with a fright (Arnold is near to the Great Valley).   Pterano, who is back now, comforts Petrie.

Eventually, after more mishaps in the Mysterious Beyond, Arnold, terrified, goes to a rocky ledge in the Great Valley in the middle of the night and rests there.  

The Gang of Five are with Ducky's Aunt, who is really chatty, and, at one point, they walk off and Ducky's Aunt, still yacking, doesn't notice.  Arnold is woken up by the Gang of Five making noise, though he is unable to hear what they are saying.

Having a huge grudge against Leaf Eaters, and being hungry again, Arnold spots Ducky and decides she is going to be his first Leaf Eater prey.  He says "Say bye bye Leaf Eater!" and flies at her.  However, Ducky moves and the Gang of Five are sidetracked and so don't notice.  Arnold, missing Ducky, flies into a rock, which gets their attention.  

Arnold is shocked that Leaf Eaters can talk, thinking them to be evil and dumb animals.  He begs them for his life due to his fear of dying like he thinks his father did.  However, the others are confused and eventually, after he asks them if there are any Tree Stars there, is taken to some, which he likes, as it means he won't have to kill some animal for food.  

He is allowed to stay with Mama Flyer and Pterano, neither of whom, perhaps due to the fact that he's more like his father in appearance than his mother, and he doesn't show his teeth,  don't realize what he is.

As time goes by, he is amazed by the love Mama Flyer shows toward her kids, and second guesses what his mother always said about all Leaf Eaters being evil and cruel creatures.

Arnold would have some adventures with the Gang of Five, though I can't think of them, hence this thread.  

Eventually, Agatha would find Arnold and ask him to come back.  He would tell her that he thinks she is wrong about leaf eaters being all bad.  She says that they don't know that he's a Sharp Beak, and if they did, they'd dump him or worse.  Arnold agrees to tell the Gang of Five the truth.  

Agatha, meanwhile, plans to come back, and with more flyers.  

Arnold tells the Gang of Five that he is a Sharptooth.  They don't believe him.  He gets Petrie to put his claw thingies in his mouth to go find out.  Petrie pulls back, finding some sharp teeth.

The Gang of Five is shocked.  Arnold decides that he doesn't belong there, tries to go.  However, Petrie holds him back.  Arnold freaks out, thinking they mean to put him to death for what he is.   He begs them not to harm him, saying he doesn't want to die like his father.  

The Gang of Five learns what happened (or what Agatha has brainwashed Arnold into thinking) that his father.  Arnold says that if he ever caught the Leaf Eaters he believes to have killed his father, that he wouldn't be giving them a merciful end.  

The Gang of Five says that they aren't like those Leaf Eaters.  Arnold says he believes them but asks to leave, feeling that he doesn't belong there.  He tells them that, though they think he is fine, his kind and their kind are supposed to be natural enemies and not friends and so he should leave.  

However, they still have Petrie hold him and tell him to wait.  Arnold waits, trembling, wonder if they have gone to go tell the grownups and if his death is approaching.   When they come back, he asks if they are going to kill him, and, if so, begs that they do it sooner rather than later as the suspense is killing him (He does have a sense of humor.).  

The Gang of Five, however, gives him Tree Stars and bugs to eat, which he loves.  He is shocked at their kindness.  

Arnold begs Petrie not to tell Mama Flyer what he is, fearing she and Pterano will throw him out if they find out.  Petrie says he knows Mama Flyer is very fond of him.  Arnold says that that is because she thinks him a Leaf Eater, and that if she knew him to be a Sharptooth, she wouldn't love him anymore.  Petrie says he thinks she still would, as he hasn't tried to eat any of them after all.

Arnold says that that is not true.  They are shocked.  He admits to having tried to kill and eat Ducky.    Cera is fuming at that, but Littlefoot defends Arnold, saying his is nice now and didn't harm Ducky after all.

Arnold, however, says that Cera is right and that he should deserve no mercy from them after what he tried on Ducky and that he would have killed Ducky with no mercy.  He points out that, had a Leaf Eater tried to kill a Sharptooth like he tried to kill Ducky, and then been at their disposal, all the Sharpteeth he knew would have shown no mercy.

Littlefoot says that though Arnold and his kind may not have shown mercy, he still will.  Arnold is taken aback and says that Littlefoot must be a very good Leaf Eater and also admits he hasn't met any and has been prejudiced.  

Arnold also learns that the Gang of Five has befriended a Sharptooth (Chomper) before.  It turns out that both Arnold and Chomper are fond of Stinging Buzzers and think them spicy.

(As for where Chomper and Ruby went, it is later revealed in a future film that Littlefoot and Chomper had tripped Red Claw with a vine, and Red Claw fell off a cliff, seemingly to his death,  Screech and Thud fled and Chomper and Ruby went back home.  However, Red Claw was only injured and with amnesia, not dead.  He was nursed back to health by another villain and finally gets his memory back right around the start of the film 17.)  

He sings a song "Friends Like These" where he is happy to be with such nice Leaf Eaters.  However, soon after the song is done, Cera, getting the same paranoia that she did when they were with Chomper in film V.  Arnold feeling sad, goes back to his mother.  

However, Cera comes to apologize to Arnold and the rest of the Gang of Five are with her too.  They at first freak out at the presence of Agatha, her being a Sharptooth.  However, they seem willing to accept her and let her stay.

However, they are all shocked when Agatha says she doesn't want to, still insists Leaf Eaters are bad and demands he come with her.  Petrie comments that he doesn't get why Arnold, if he's a Sharptooth, can stand Tree Stars as neither Chomper nor any other Sharptooth could.  Arnold says that he knows his mother can't either.  He thinks and soon, having spent time with Petrie's family, realizes with joy that he is half Leaf Eater.

He is furious with Agatha for her coverup.  He says he won't be going back with her.  However, Agatha drops the "nice mom" charade and says he'll go back or the Gang of Five will end up like Arnold's father.  Arnold finds out what REALLY happened to his father.  

Enraged at Agatha's evil deeds, he says he'll never be going back with her now.  She says he will or the others will die.   Feeling he has no choice, his friends surrounded by Agatha's Sharp Beaks, Arnold agrees to go without a fight, provided none of the Gang of Five are harmed.  Agatha agrees.

Littlefoot tells Arnold not to do it.  Arnold says he must or they will die.  Ducky says she is willing to die to make sure that Arnold doesn't have to live a sad and miserable life.  Arnold says he can't do that to his friends now that he knows Leaf Eaters are nice.

Wanting the others to escape, Littlefoot jumps at Agatha, willing to give up his own life to let the others live.  Agatha, mad at Littlefoot, says he will be the first to die.  

However, then the grown-ups show up and there is a big fight between them and Agatha's Sharp Beaks.  Eventually, Agatha kidnaps Petrie, ordering Mama Flyer to personally hand over Arnold to her or else she will eat Petrie.  

Mama Flyer, feeling she has no choice, bring over Arnold.  However, Arnold breaks free of her and is able to grab Arnold out of Agatha's grip and takes off carrying Petrie.  

Agatha is enraged that her son would turn on her, but Agatha and Mama Flyer get into a huge fight in the air.  Eventually, the Sharp Beaks, who are kinda being dumb, just watching, join in and pin down Petrie, Pterano, and Mama Flyer.

Agatha says she is gong to eat Mama Flyer first for daring to think she could have her son.  Arnold, however, bites Agatha in the leg, allowing the three Pteranodons to take off.  Agatha's Sharp Beaks go for Arnold, but he bends a tree branch at them and whacks them out of the air.

Agatha, deciding she no longer controls her son,says she is going to kill him and should have realized that he is too like his father.  However, before she can do so, Mama Flyer and Petrie whack her in the head with a bent tree branch, knocking her out and she falls into a tar pit below and meets her end.

Arnold also falls, but is rescued in time by Mama Flyer.  Arnold turns to go, feeling that the grown ups won't want him now that they know what he is.  However, he is adopted by Mama Flyer and Pterano and becomes part of Petrie's family.  He eats leaves and plants and decides he isn't going to hunt anymore, glad to not have to kill again.

That's basically the premise of the movie.

However, what he'd do with the Gang of Five between when he first meets them and when he reveals that he has sharp teeth, I don't know yet nor do I know what the Gang of Five would be doing before he came to the Great Valley.

Also, I thought of bringing Ichy back (he's a Sharp Beak after all) and having him be part of Agatha's Sharp Beak pack, perhaps joining it after his breakup with Dil and staying there to help get food easier.  What role he'd have with Arnold and the Gang of Five, I'm not sure.  
He'd only be the secondary antagonist as the most sinister role he could be as Agatha is the primary villaness and central antagonist.  

Also, what I'd do with Pterano who is back and nice, I'm not quite sure.  Also, Ducky's father would be in this one and have some lines for the first time ever.

I thought of making this story a role play as I could always use help to get the story better than I could by doing the story on my own without help (Did I just talk like Ruby?).  

LBT 14 would be a pretty much stand alone sequel, though it would require some knowledge of Chomper and Pterano and possibly Ichy.

I'm also thinking of using "Friends for Dinner" here as it might fit Arnold too, but, on the flip side, I kind of feel that it's  © Chomper and shouldn't be used with anyone but him.   This is open for debate I guess.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
A bit of advice I'd like to give here: when starting a roleplay, try not to set up an entire plot to follow by the letter. If you have the entire story figured out, then all people participating would be doing is following your exact formula, and they may not find that as fun.

I haven't roleplayed in years, but from when I did, the thing I remember the most is that the roleplays that didn't force the participants into a narrow timeline, where you didn't know all that was going to happen, were the most fun. The joy of being in a roleplay is you don't know all the twists and turns, not even the person who starts it. The story molds through the participation of more than one person, becoming a collaboration. Everyone feels like they contributed through the characters they control.

But when you have everything planned out, then it's not different than writing your own fanfic, except that you are getting other people to write it, just what you want. The point of a collaboration is so that everyone involved has a chance to contribute and bring in their own plotpoints, twists, whatever, through the natural progression of the story.

Yes, you can set up a plot and some rules of what you don't want to happen. But usually, a roleplay plot is just a basic premise and gives a rough idea of what to expect, but it's the players, those that start writing the roleplay and work off each other, that create the meat of the story.

One example of a roleplay I can show you is Serris's Darwin's Soldiers. It is complete, and it's not too long (completed at page 35) so it should be easy to read through. I recommend checking this out so you can see how a roleplay works, and see how each member work off each other to create the story.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=4340

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ahhh, I get it.  (Sometimes I can be as narrow-minded as Topps.)  

I'll leave everything open except that

1.) Arnold is ultimately to turn out good.
2.)  Agatha murders her mate and tricks her son.
3.)  Arnold thinks he's a full-bred Sharp Beak till he finds out near the end that he is part Pteranodon.  
4.)  Agatha dies at the end and Arnold is adopted by Mama Flyer and Pterano.
5.)  Ichy is in this movie though his role is debatable and which side he chooses can be left open to how the play goes.
6.)  Arnold hates Leaf Eaters at first and would love to knock them off.  Whether he's even killed them before is now open to how the play goes.
7.)  Even Arnold's species (which is a hybrid anyway) is open for debate, though his mother must be a Sharp Beak of some type and his father must be a Pteranodon.
8.)  Pterano must not be bad in this one.
9.)  Arnold must, obviously, not kill anyone in the Great Valley.  (Agatha might be able to get away with it, but even she cannot kill the Gang of Five or their families.)  What Arnold does outside of the Great Valley, provided he doesn't kill the Gang of Five out there, is totally left open to the play.  
10.)  Nothing too sinister and no cursing for this one as this is supposed to be rated G.
11.)  That no deaths would be shown on screen per se, at least directly, but only their sahdows like what happened when Mama Longneck was attacked by Sharptooth.  Agatha's death can be shown on screen, but no deaths of nice creatures on screen.  
12.) Arnold is afraid of being murdered by leaf eaters and so shouldn't be too calm around them at first though how fast he gets comfortable or not afraid of them is open for debate.  
13.) While Agatha's personality is open for debate, she must stay evil always, even if she masks it,  and also she must, out of fear that Arnold may someday find that he is part Leaf Eater and guess what happened to his father, not be too eager to let him leave their nest or home.  
14.) Agatha has a bunch of Sharp Beak lackeys.
15.) Ducky's father speaks some lines in this one.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
a rp need not have a plot thought out beforehand. but in this case. you should first-
 Ask if anyone else wants to join a rp based on lbt14. if you get positive responses, then give them a little bit of what you'd like to see. Give the other rpers enough freedom and leeway to bring in other chars other situations etc.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: