The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

ALF is getting a movie

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Yes, that ALF.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/08/09/alf-movie-smurfs/

Gee, and just when I was thinking Hollywood would leave this one alone.  Yep, the decade of revival is still going. -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
There's actually a reason for all the revival, Pokeplayer.

You see, licenses are different from how they used to work. It used to be that a studio could keep a license to a product for as long as they want to. They could be doing nothing with it, but still own the rights and no one else could take it.

But now, licenses have an expiration date. A studio can keep holding onto a product for a long time, but only if they do something with it. So in order to keep rights to something, a studio must create something with the material.

I think this largely applies to movies. Not sure how much it applies to TV shows, books, etc. But this does explain reboots in Hollywood. They don't make them because they want to; they do it so they keep the rights.

This is also why you'll never see Spiderman in an Avengers movie. Spidey is owned by Sony, while Avengers is not. A huge collaboration and deal making would have to be done, and even then it's not likely.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Alf? Bloody Alf? ALF?! What...but...wha...wh...gah...huh...eh...

I'd love to know one thing: who in even asking for this movie to get made? What paying audience has even inferred that they want this to happen?  :blink:  :bang And who even cares enough about Alf that they'd care who currently owns the rights? The last time Alf was relevant was before 1990. I can't think of a single person who will actually see this film, let alone kids, teens, or young adults.
This film is going to flop and the result will be the copyright holder holding onto a nigh worthless property.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Like I said, we're still in the "Decade of Revival".  Want proof?

Transformers
G.I. Joe
Star Trek
The Smurfs
The Chipmunks

Should I continue? :)

So yeah, it was likely a matter of time before ALF ended up on the list.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
They're out for money, so I'm not surprised. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason they're going to Alf is so that they can keep copyright on the character.

Revivals tend not to bother me so much. They aren't the worst things in the world and it won't kill you whether or not they make it, whether or not they do well. Don't like them? Just don't watch them. If people like the revivals, that's their opinion, not yours. You do not need to agree with them.

Plus revivals are an opportunity for the younger generation to be introduced to a franchise. For instance, look at Michael Bay's Transformers movie. Yes I'm aware that there are Transformers fans who hate how he portrayed the robots. But nonetheless, his movies still introduced a new generation of people, who may have never seen Transformers before, to the franchise. And because of Bay's Transformers, this new generation, now interested in Transformers, can look into the franchise and see the different Transformers stuff that came into existence over the decades they've been around.

True that there are other ways for a franchise to be introduced without a reboot. But my point is reboots are still one way to introduce a new generation to an older product.

Also a reboot could actually be really good, but it only scores bad due to fanboys hating on it simply for being a reboot. A reboot should be judged by its own merits, not compared to the original stuff. When judging it, don't think about how it was in an older incarnation; only think about what the reboot provided and judge from there.

I'm not saying reboots are automatically good. I'm just saying that they can be well made, but people would still hate it only because it's a reboot, not because of anything the movie did wrong itself.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Alf hasn't had the staying power as those other properties. Everyone knows Transformers and all those. Name one person who still cares about Alf.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I liked the series back then. They sure messed up the movie (especially with the unexplained disappearance of the family) and so far there is not much reason to expect for this one to be much better, but I have no problem with the idea of being proven wrong about that. Reboot may be a more sincere approach than just copying something that existed before, change a bit about the looks and stick a different label to it. In any case I agree with Kacie that there is not a reason to get angry about a movie being produced so long one isn't forced to watch it. Others might enjoy it and there is no reason to begrudge them for it.
I daresay there may be some place somewhere where someone says: Name one person who still cares about the land before time. :rolleyes:

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I gotta be honest. When I was a kid I never knew much about Alf. I always thought he was just a part of the Muppets.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not angry. Just very, very baffled. I get the whole "keep the rights to Alf" thing, but I don't see a market for this.