The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lbt 8

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've just seen it today, I liked the idea of Mr Thicknose as some sort of teacher for the gang. I think everything happens too fast, they just don't develop much on the main subjects such as the snowing, perhaps that would make it boring, I donno, I think the maine subject is Spike getting to hang with some of his own kind, but I didn't like when they said that spike tails didn't live in the great valley since you see them in pratically every sequel, also when Cera causes that avalanche just by screaming it sounds a bit unreal, but then again it is a kids movie.. on and all I liked it =P
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Screaming as the reason for an avalanche is actually not that unrealistic. In fact sound waves are one of the main causes for avalanches in mountainous regions. In general I liked many of the basic ideas of LBT 8, (Spike being interested in the own kind, snowfall etc), but I found these ideas were extremely poor realized. One can say hardly anything about the character Tippy whose whole way of talking and acting reminded me a bit of a Teletubby. They did some really weird things about the colors. For example we had green skies, and changing color paterns of the main characters, which, though they may have served the purpose of showing that they were cold, seemed exaggerated. Other than that they seemed to have too few problems with the coldness; they seem to have more problems with it during a thunderstorm in LBT 7 (Petrie says he is cold there, and Ducky is sneezing).
Another point I have to criticize about LBT 8 was the very poor sharptooth. Roll a snowball at it, and it won't dodge like Mr. Thicknose did, who was actually closer to that snowball. In fact they even have to thank the sharptooth for giving Mr. Thicknose the fright that chases him up that mountain. Gee, nothing like the really scary sharptooth we knew from the original movie.
I'd also love to know how a hot volcanic source can freeze. And how the whole Great Valley and the spikedtail herd is supposed to live on the sparce green food they found at that source. They should have really shown a bit more green food there to make the story look plausible.
They could have made so much more of the good basic ideas they had.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I agree, everything happens so fast.. \: As for the sharptooth it's been a common thing in lbt series since lbt 6 that they say sharpteeth aren't that smart when actually the leafeaters were the dumn dinos, I guess it's just that tail of the piggs and the wolves the meat eaters have to be dumn and bad or the gang wouldn't have survived this long

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Overall, LBT 8 was just way too unrealistic for me.  Surviving snowstorms (without getting ill and cold apparently) is highly unlikely for them considering their lack of fur.  Malte brings up the Sharptooth--that one was a real dumb@$$ because (much older) Thicknose was able to get out of the way but not him.... *shakes head*  Lame.

I know us three are much older than the target audience of these films but really that sequel just sucked!  <_<

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I don't think it was that bad... at least it isn't as boring as lbt 3, although I prefered the graphics and they had a nice story line, but in lbt 3 they just take so long to do anything and they just walk around the vally.. it's for me he most boring lbt yet.. lbt 8 is the exact oposite everything happens to fast like they had a schedule and dozed off for the first months and only did it in the end..

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Actually I didn't find LBT 3 that bad at all. The plotline is alright with me, there are some spectacular scenes (I love the one where they step out on that ledge overlooking the Mysterious Beyond and discovering the water trapped there), some real dilemas for the characters (especially for Cera), and the kind of bullies most of us probably made their own experiences with.
The end was a bit like a "moral clup" (the bullies changed very extreme and very suddenly and the last part about sharing would have appeared less like a preach if if hadn't been squeezed into the last few minutes), but still I liked LBT 3.

It is funny how different people like the movies. There are hardly any LBT fans to be found who favor or disfavor exactly the same LBT movies. And that's good the way it is!

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yep... If lbt can make people of many interests like it, it's another way for it to be popular. I think that there are lots of people that like lbt as much as we do, but or they don't have net or they don't like to post in forums =p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are many who don't seem too be too eager to post indeed. As a moderator of network54 forums one can see how many people from how many countries visit a network54 forum each day. There are between 100 and 300 every day in the network54 forum at www.network54.com/forum/26773. One thing that is sort of distressing for me is that there are surprisingly many people from Germany visiting that board (more than 100 some days), but they don't post. It's somewhat sad for me as it would be really great if I knew about a land before time fan living nearby.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't know how well international students must learn english but perhaps they are somewhat fearful they will make a mistake in writing English.  :unsure:   That's the only reason I can forsee why they would be scared to post messages even though they visit it.

This board would intimidate them for the same reason--it's owned and operated by someone who is fluent in English.  If they don't think they can speak the language perfectly, they don't want to join in.  The same would apply if I tried to post in the German board you speak of, Malte...I would stick out like a sore thumb if I tried to pass for one who could speak German. ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe. This is how my first message in a land before time forum (posted on August 1st 2000) read:

Hello everyone!
I'm very pleased to find the land before
time Forum and I hope to find other people fond of the land before time. I admire the land before time though I'm nearly 16 years old.
My enthusiasm is so great, that I try to write new storys to read it to my younger cousin.
I have written already 109 pages on our PC.
It would be a great pleasure to me to come to know other The land before time fans.
I hope my English is not to bad, because I live in Germany.
Malte

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
You looked very fluent with 16.. so you wouldn't have trouble with english I guess.. I know a few people that like lbt but they don't like them enough to go search things around the web about it. I don't think it's they being afraid or something like that, I think it's they either just want to know things about lbt XI or check out some doubts they have about lbt... In my case, I'm not the "forum poster" besides this one I only rarely post in a foruma bout New Order..At first I was only checking for stuff about the next sequel but then I saw this is one of those slow and few people forums so I still post here... I prefer this kind of forums to those who have people posting every ten minutes and in an hour you can't see your topic and the chances are no one is going to reply to it...

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah but soon with only three people we tend to become very repetitive in our posts.  :huh:

That's pretty good for just a few years of English, Malte. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah but soon with only three people we tend to become very repetitive in our posts.

The number of people does not exactly make our posts more repetitive here. I know of other boards with that few people, and repetitions are no problem at all there. If at all it might become a problem to some of the Party Room games.

That's pretty good for just a few years of English, Malte.

I delivered much worse performances of English during that time in other messages. But so long a language is not used frequently (and though I read some English books and webpages before, as there are so much more interesting English books on some history topics that interest me, I do not exaggerate when I say that my really regular use of English was triggered by the forum and the people I got to know there) it is not supposed to be good at all. I'd be sort of disappointed if I read my old messages today and had to realized that there was no imporvement at all ever since.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here's something I've been meaning to ask, both of you guys since English obviously isn't your primary language.

When did you start learning English?  Was it in school? ...in home?  At what age?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. I started when I was 9.. and I watched cartoon network all the time.. at first I didn't get what they were saying but since it was cartoons I'd stay there and watch it and I learned from what they were doing.. than my parents put me in an english course that I'm still doing.. this way I'll be able to teach english if I don't get any other job =p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, my first experiences with English language came from my interest in native Americans. During my primary school time I learned a couple of words which you can find in the names of famous indian chiefs, for example: sitting, bull, crazy, horse, red, cloud, low, dog, man, eagle, yellow etc.
I wasn't able to speak many sentences apart from "Happy Birthday" (which is meanwhile almost "international" rather than English).
English at school began in fifth grade (which means since 1995) for me. In the first half of 6th grade I got an English grade so bad that it would have endangered my promotion to the next grade if that mark had been in the second half of the year and if another subject had been as bad.
During the next years I got to read English more and more frequently because there are so many English sources about historical events, and these sources are so much more detailed than any Germany sources about specific events. In 2000 I came across the land before time forum and got to know friends (especially one from Australia to whom I still keep contact and whom I met in persona in 2002) from English countries. That same year I read several English fictional books for the first time (I had read only nonfictions before that) and I also began to translate land before time stories I had written till then to English (to a terribly poor English by that time. I'm affraid I have to edit the whole translations again and the editing of one of those stories is in (slow) process by this time). From January to June 2002 I took part in a students exchange which not only did a great deal to improve my English but also changed the entire course of my life for sure.
Still my English is not perfect, so I'm always grateful for corrections in case I'm talking of "laBtops" and the like  ;)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So it was a major school requirement for both of you?  Was it optional?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In Germany English is not optional but a must at schools. Some people decide for French as the first foreign language to learn, but I think they too have to take English from 7th grade or so.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
In here to we have english from our 5th grade to our 11th in my case cause I chose science.. if I had chosen harts I'd have to chose between english, french or german.. When we go to our 7th year we already have 2 years of english but then we can chose from french or german.. although most schools only have french.. I took french for those 3 years I can understand what they say and some times I watch french channels but my french is really bad =p

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Schools over hear kinda work the opposite way around. Obviously every country has to perfect its own mother tongue but kids start learning a different language from about year 5. It is normally french but once you hit secondary school (high school) there is the 3-way split for either French, Spanish or German. Up until year 9 it is chosen for you (depending on the school) and in years 10 and 11 we get to select which of the 3 we'd like to learn. I chose Spanish coz I prefered that over the other 2 (no reflection on my views of the countries you understand!). I cant speak fluent spanish but I reckon I know enough basic stuff for me to survive out there. I'd love to learn Japanese though! I reckon that's a marvellous tongue to speak! I know very little of the language but they are the types of phrases that would either get me strange, alienated looks or an angry mob chasing after me  :(