The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Series Project

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So are we going to do this? Maybe we should use something like Skype for faster discussing though that might be difficult due to time zones etc...

I would really like to be of help with the animating, DarkWolf91, but neither do I have any knowledge nor the necessary programs to animate. You offered that, didn't you?

As for the style of animation, I would suggest either doing the easiest way for a start or using the styles used in TLBT.
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Yes, I can put a kind of crash course together. I am going to need to find a program that is both accessible and easy to use for the final compilation of the project, though. I generally use Flash, but it is not cheap. I will try to research more affordable options.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds good! I agree that buying an expensive program just for a LBT-project won't do the trick. I hope you can discover something... I will be on the look as well :)

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I strongly suggest using a style closest to that used in the movies. It may not be the easiest, but it will look the best.  :angel
You really don't need any fancy expensive programs to animate with. If you draw your pictures on paper, or make them in another program, they can be imported to Windows Movie Maker or something. I think most computers come with some basic video editing software installed, so there is no need to buy something else if you just wanted to experiment.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree, the movie should look good :angel

I will check if my computer has such a program later and do I really need to draw everything first? :angel If so, I gotta practise drawing :lol

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
While that is true, FreckledOne, it is extremely time consuming to draw everything out on paper and scan it if you don't have an industrial scanner. If you wanted to go the traditional route you would also have to buy, build, or improvise a light box.
You can certainly animate in a regular art program, preferably a program that utilizes layers, and import the still frames into a different program to test them, but it would be extremely difficult to try to edit and compile a multiple shot animation that way. Even a freeware animation program would be more accessible than that, and would probably save a lot of time.

And I have just the thing :smile : http://www.pencil-animation.org/
I have... actually used this program to animate a T-Rex before. Hmmm, coincidence?  :p
That animation is here, if anyone would like to view it: http://kelpgull.deviantart.com/art/Rexrun-302102665

Again, I will compile an animation tutorial for anyone who is interested in trying out this amazing, fantastic, wonderful art form :D

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome DarkWolf91! Thanks a bunch  :angel

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I will check if my computer has such a program later and do I really need to draw everything first?  If so, I gotta practise drawing 
Well, strictly speaking, you don't have to be able to draw to animate. Most vector-based shows store all of the pieces of a character in a symbol library, and CGI uses rigged models, it's only if you wanted hand-drawn.

While that is true, FreckledOne, it is extremely time consuming to draw everything out on paper and scan it if you don't have an industrial scanner. If you wanted to go the traditional route you would also have to buy, build, or improvise a light box.
You can certainly animate in a regular art program, preferably a program that utilizes layers, and import the still frames into a different program to test them, but it would be extremely difficult to try to edit and compile a multiple shot animation that way. Even a freeware animation program would be more accessible than that, and would probably save a lot of time.
It does take a little while, but it is doable, and you could also use a digital camera to capture your drawings. For me, the lightbox kind of makes it harder to see what I'm drawing; I just flip through them by hand. I found this really cool turntable clipboard at Goodwill that I use a lot now. You could animate on the go with it!  :lol:

And I have just the thing  : http://www.pencil-animation.org/
I have... actually used this program to animate a T-Rex before. Hmmm, coincidence? 
That animation is here, if anyone would like to view it: http://kelpgull.deviantart.com/art/Rexrun-302102665
That looks promising, but some of the examples they had on the website didn't work. If I didn't already have Flipbook I would try it. Pretty nice T-rex animation, there.  :yes I especially like the angle as it runs towards the screen. I also have a small animation, if you would like to see. It's in my other fanart thread here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...showtopic=12811 It plays back kinda wonky; you might have to try a few times to get it to play back from the beginning.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Lol I think before any starts making a movie, they should make an LBT short; akin to what people have for their end-of-uni projects. I mean, if you can't do up to 5 minutes of animation, then why try 73?

Even shorts can have good stories. And if you wanted it really short, you could just involve the gang of five members interacting with each other or some predicament. That would be 1-2 minutes I think.

Or even a song. Remember how much can happen in a song, whether in LBT or a musical like Les Miserables?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, strictly speaking, you don't have to be able to draw to animate. Most vector-based shows store all of the pieces of a character in a symbol library, and CGI uses rigged models, it's only if you wanted hand-drawn.
Well, I tried myself at it today but (as I feared) I failed at the sketch already... I can't transfer the pictures I have in mind onto paper respectively the computer screen. Guess you have to be born with this ability or can I train that?
I wouldn't mind doing it with CGI, I just need a good tutorial and I'll try it :)

Lol I think before any starts making a movie, they should make an LBT short; akin to what people have for their end-of-uni projects. I mean, if you can't do up to 5 minutes of animation, then why try 73?

Even shorts can have good stories. And if you wanted it really short, you could just involve the gang of five members interacting with each other or some predicament. That would be 1-2 minutes I think.
Yep, a short story will be best to get started :) I guess we first need to discuss the movie making itself before considering about possible stories, scenes, etc

Or even a song. Remember how much can happen in a song, whether in LBT or a musical like Les Miserables?
If you (or anybody else for that matter) are able to write a song that is agreed on by many of us, I think it could work as well :)

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay everyone! I'm back, so sorry. I have been really sick with a terrible virus. I'm not a good drawer but I will experiment and see what I'm capable of. I'm most likely going to want to help write what happens in it though. The one on deviant art (rexrun) is amazing!! And I bet @Ducky123 is good too! :)
8 years with TGOF :yum

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

It's true, there is a pretty legit freeware program for CGI, too, if we wanted to go that route. I am not particularly in favor of that though... I don't think it would end up looking as good. And if we were to go with a vector based style, we would probably need to somehow acquire a more advanced program for anyone who wanted to participate.

It does take a little while, but it is doable, and you could also use a digital camera to capture your drawings. For me, the lightbox kind of makes it harder to see what I'm drawing; I just flip through them by hand. I found this really cool turntable clipboard at Goodwill that I use a lot now. You could animate on the go with it!  :lol:

Yes, if you have a tripod or a suitable stable setup and relatively good lighting you could defintely use a camera. It tends to be harder to keep the drawings in exactly the same place, but it's pretty easy to clean up small errors in the final process.
The only thing a lightbox is super useful for is character continuity, and I would very much recommend one for that. Flipping does work well for most things, though :D

That looks promising, but some of the examples they had on the website didn't work. If I didn't already have Flipbook I would try it. Pretty nice T-rex animation, there.  :yes I especially like the angle as it runs towards the screen. I also have a small animation, if you would like to see. It's in my other fanart thread here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...showtopic=12811 It plays back kinda wonky; you might have to try a few times to get it to play back from the beginning.

Flipbook looks nice! A bit much for me to spend right now, but I'll have to try it out someday. I liked the animation, too. Very cute :yes

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I tried myself at it today but (as I feared) I failed at the sketch already... I can't transfer the pictures I have in mind onto paper respectively the computer screen. Guess you have to be born with this ability or can I train that?

You can train it. Just keep practicing :) Draw a lot of different things, as often as possible. If you really want to do it, just try your best and don't give up. It takes a long time. I would only do that if you really enjoy it, though. It becomes much harder if you aren't having fun with it :yes

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
@DarkWolf91 I think I'm going to leave the animation to the pros xD

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If you want to try it out, it's definitely worth a shot. The main point of this project is to have fun, and to come together as a community to create something :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's right :)

I'll keep trying to draw then... If I don't get better, I'll leave the animation to those of us who are doing it as their job/hobby anyway :) In that case, I'll provide ideas for the story itself and maybe sketches that those of us who are more skilled in drawing than me can use as a reference... sorta :p

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay! @DarkWolf91 @Ducky123
I think we should start getting people together to write the story so the animators know what their animating? Should I make a new topic?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree, we should start thinking about possible storylines. I think we can stick to this topic though a more suitable title would be cool (might get the attention of other members rather if this is called something like 'Making a LBT movie (project) ) :) Admins  :wave

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
@Ducky123 how do you change a topic name? :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: bestariana1girl,Nov 26 2013 on  03:24 PM
@Ducky123 how do you change a topic name? :)
I'm not Ducky but I hope Ducky doesn't mind if I answer.  I think only an admin can change a topic title.  You can ask one by say pm, or IM if you talk to any on IM and ask one if they wouldn't mind doing that.  One like Mumbling, Malte, Nick (though he is out of town or soon well be), Petrie, Littlefoot1616.