The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A remake could actually happen.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah a new thread would be a good idea to let our imaginations run while about a new remake to the franchise

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 30 2016 on  02:59 PM
Children's films today, Pixar aside (and even Pixar has gone downhill a bit in the last half-decade), are just full of obnoxious pop-culture references, pop songs, obnoxious characters, celebrity voice actors, mediocre storytelling, bad writing, terrible jokes, and so many other things that would NOT suit a LBT remake.
You mean, Pixar AND Disney aside, because Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia were all excellent. And Moana is shaping up to be awesome.
And let's not forget The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stich, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and The Princess and the Frog all of which I thought were excellent films.  Granted, I'm probably in a minority on that though because everyone else seems to hate those films (with the exception of Lilo and Stitch which was actually a huge success).  Oddly enough people never can seem to be able to explain exactly why they hate those films.  When they do, the reasons they give are usually petty, like Doug Walker spending the majority of his Brother Bear review bashing the film simply because he hates Phil Collins for some unexplained reason.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Treasure Planet did poorly in the box office back than. I remember seeing it in theaters back in 2002 and no one was in there when I saw it. And I gotta say I actually didn't hate it as much as everyone else did. I thought the main character was good he had a good storyline built in for him. He was abandoned by his dad that didn't want him his mom raised him by himself. He's an outcast I love the outcast characters I can relate to them.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
And let's not forget The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stich, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and The Princess and the Frog all of which I thought were excellent films. Granted, I'm probably in a minority on that though because everyone else seems to hate those films (with the exception of Lilo and Stitch which was actually a huge success). Oddly enough people never can seem to be able to explain exactly why they hate those films. When they do, the reasons they give are usually petty, like Doug Walker spending the majority of his Brother Bear review bashing the film simply because he hates Phil Collins for some unexplained reason.

Completely agreed! I've been watching Brother Bear with my son a lot, and it's really quite an excellent film. I looked up the 'rotten tomatoes' page for it and was pretty surprised. There was a period in time where it was very popular to bash Disney though, so I assume everyone just jumped on that bandwagon. The only complaints people seemed to have were that it was 'standard disney fare' and that the animation was bad. Both of these I wholeheartedly disagree with- the themes were actually pretty mature, and the villain presence was unique in that it was the main character's brother, and you sympathized with his motivation throughout the film. And, in my opinion, the animation and character designs are really stellar. The bears moved in a beautifully bear-like way, and there were a lot of subtle gestures and great expressions. I mean, it wasn't perfect film, but it sure as hell didn't deserve a lower score than "Ghostbusters 2016" and "X-Men: Apocalypse."

Also, as a side note... I really don't like Phil Collins' film songwriting either :lol But it's definitely not enough to condemn the whole film.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So basically here is my take.

Emperor's New Groove-  I have absolutely no complaints about that film.  It's hilarious from start to finish and Yzma is one of the funniest Disney villains ever.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire-  I love the dark, gritty sci-fi adventure feel that this film has.  I think the characters are interesting and the depiction of Atlantis is absolutely stunning.  

Treasure Planet: There is a lot I like about this movie.  The music is beautiful, the animation is beautiful, the characters are very well written, and despite the strange setup, the film does a surprisingly good job of staying true to the source material.  I can see why people don't like BEN, and I did find him a little annoying, but I didn't let that ruin the movie.  I actually find Silver to be one of the most likable and sympathetic Disney villains and I like the father-son relationship he builds with Jim that ultimately leads to him redeeming himself.  In fact he's one of the few Disney villains who actually gets redeemed.

Also, Captain Amelia is awesome!
Captain Amelia is awesome!

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Brother Bear was a awesome movie with a amazing storyline. The characters where will thought out and good. The whole thing about the brother who killed the mother into a bear as punishment was good and fair. I loved how those two didn't get along and they grew a powerful bond with each other.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Brother Bear is amazing indeed. We're kinda OT though :p
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes yes we're I loved the soundtrack to Brother Bear. Phil Collins did a amazing job with the soundtrack.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I did not these the early and mid 2000s stuff because I don't really count them as family films on "these days". That said, I also quite like Atlantis and Treasure Planet. Not fond of Brother Bear at all and please do not argue with me on this one, ADFan.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Treasure Planet was a flop for Disney since critics where harash on it. I disagreed with there reviews and thought the movie was done pretty well. It wasn't Disney's best movie but it wasn't there worst either. That would be Black Caldron is there worst movie ever made. But Treasure Planet help up well for me it's a feel good movie I enjoyed and got a good connection to Jimmy.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
"Home is the Range" isn't as bad as "Black Cauldron"?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah Rosanne Barrs movie Where she voiced a cow. That movie was eh to be but I could say I'd take That movie over Black Caldron any day.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Once again, I disagree completely. The Black Cauldron was just an experiment that didn't work out for them. Home on the Range, at least for me, was just painful to sit through.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Black Caldron was painful to sit through that's a horrible abomination at Least Home On The Range had some heart soul and some good emotional parts so it was a decent well made movie.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Those two are some of Disney's worst films. Home on the Range's whole idea was horrible and Black Cauldron didn't just work for me. Gurgi's design is all I had to know to know about the movie but I still watched it. I shouldn't have...

I agree that Brother Bear is one the best later Disney films. Phil Collins' songs were already great for Tarzan but even then Brother Bear's songs are a major improvement. His version of Transformation is just great... I wouldn't call the film a masterpiece but it's one of the best from Disney since 2000, along with Atlantis and Frozen.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah brother bear wasn't a master piece but it worked alright for a 2000s movie I mean I loved the Phil Collins songs in the movie a lot. The plot was pretty well written for Brother Bear and the characters where likable for the most part. Atlantis was alright again not a master piece but a decent well made Disney movie for the most part. Sometimes the characters in Atlantis where kinda Annoying but likable none the less.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well yes, characters of Atlantis weren't the film's forte if you ask me. The soundtrack, on the other hand, is occasionally glorious and I really like the overall design of the film. It may be just me but I think Atlantis manages to establish a larger universe around it than many other Disney films. The two prologue scenes and Milo's grandfather are very nice additions to the film's "lore".

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with most of what you said about Atlantis, Sovereign. I admit the characters weren't deep on an objective level, but subjectively, they just "work" for me.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes I agree that some parts of the movie where very well done. And parts of the movie had some nice character development in most parts of the movie. It's not good by any means but all and all I can call it a movie. And yes the soundtrack was quite nice and enjoyable.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Someone once said Atlantis is the perfect cult classic. I think they were right.