The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pangaea's LBT Artwork

Pangaea · 40 · 9207

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile

You shouldn't forget to add this to your artwork thread!  It's one of your best works.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I'm glad you think so. :D Don't worry. I'll get to it eventually. :yes

I apologize that I've been so inactive in my own art thread. The truth is, I've been feeling rather worn out in regards to posting these past few months. It's like my head and heart just aren't in it. :neutral It's been a strain for me to post in threads like this one, in which a single post requires a lot of time, thought, and commitment to write. My priorities have been other people's fanart and fanfiction threads, and the “In The Land Before Time” RP, and I've been slacking even on those. And then there's all the things going on in real life that I need to concern myself with. I could say that I promise to post again in here soon, but I have noticed that nearly every time I promise anything these days, I spectacularly fail to deliver by a predicted deadline. I feel bad about this, and really wish I had the psychological oomph to work on these things, but sadly I can't give any guarantees on when I can post again. :(

I can assure you, though, that I have all of my LBT artwork (including star day cards) saved on my computer. It's just a matter of committing myself to writing descriptions for them, and, for some of the older ones, cleaning them up a bit on Photoshop before uploading them. As I think I may have said before, my plan has been to post my art pieces in the order in which I made them. Your star day card is #5 on the list. ;)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Perhaps if you find yourself overwhelmed then it's time to downscale the extent of your activities.  One of the main reasons some of my Future Wars stuff has gone uncompleted as well as having not started Ruby in the Jungle is because it's simply too much to do everything at once. :angel

Caustizer

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
First, I would like to say this........

I WANT YOUR PEN!!! It's looks soooo awesome!! And the doodle you made with it is cute, I like how you did the "a"! Your 'fancy' handwriting's certainly a lot better than my chicken-scratch.

If you still have the dreaded shaky-hand-syndrome, try leaning a lot closer to the drawing your making! It helps a lot with me!! :^.^:

Oooooo, a larger image of you avatar!! I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the light-and-dark patchiness of the coloring really makes it all the more realistic to me!  :D Like a form of shading, prehaps, or scaliness. I can't really describe it clearly, but I hope you understand. And he definitely looks like an LBT character from the movi. Who knows, maybe he can be accepted in the Iguanadon herd (when I glanced at your avatar for the very first time, I thought 'Iguanodon with tusks' before I thought it was a placerias :smile )!

Many people would probably consider the scientifically accurate Lystrosaurus to be a rather ugly creature

Whacha talkin' bout? It's cuuuuuuutttttteeee.....in its own little way! :lol:

I'm still loving your dinosona!! The pose, the color, the tail!!! The tail is awesome!!! :lol: When you do draw a new pic of your dinosona, tell me so I can swarm all over it!! :smile

Finally: That starday card is sooooooooooooo adorable!!! When I saw it, I went "Awwwwwww!!!", then I squee'd at the cuteness! I loooooove the text, the coloring morphing from yellow to red perfectly! And the birthday hats are sooo cute; I love everyone's expressions!!  :lol , the sharptooth's eyes are entirely covered by the hat, that's so sweet!!

*catches my breath from spazzing over the cuteness* I love all your drawings; they're very good and I'll definitely be waiting eagerly for more!!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so, so, SO much for the review! :DD

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Feb 11 2011 on  04:23 PM
I WANT YOUR PEN!!! It's looks soooo awesome!!
Thanks. :smile I wish I could remember where I got it, not only so I could tell other people where they can get one, but because I've had it for years now and I'm afraid it'll run out of ink soon. :unsure:

And the doodle you made with it is cute, I like how you did the "a"! Your 'fancy' handwriting's certainly a lot better than my chicken-scratch.
Oh, please don't say that. :o It's unfair to yourself, and plus it makes me feel guilty. :oops

If you still have the dreaded shaky-hand-syndrome, try leaning a lot closer to the drawing your making! It helps a lot with me!! :^.^:
I usually steady my hand by resting it on the paper as I draw, but it creates new  problems such as smudged drawings, difficulty in drawing long, smooth lines, and aches in my hand. :bang

Oooooo, a larger image of you avatar!! I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the light-and-dark patchiness of the coloring really makes it all the more realistic to me!  :D Like a form of shading, prehaps, or scaliness. I can't really describe it clearly, but I hope you understand.

And he definitely looks like an LBT character from the movi. Who knows, maybe he can be accepted in the Iguanadon herd (when I glanced at your avatar for the very first time, I thought 'Iguanodon with tusks' before I thought it was a placerias :smile )!
One idea I had for a fanfiction in which the Lystrosaurus could potentially appear as a character was a sort of LBT take on The Lost World, where the gang discovers an isolated location where creatures from before the age of dinosaurs still survive (critters like Dimetrodon, cynodonts, dicynodonts, pareiasaurs, gorgonopsids, dinocephalians, giant amphibians and bugs, and so on.) I had another, even stranger idea, about what species the gang would be if The Land Before Time were set in the Permian. I thought maybe an Estemmenosuchus for Cera, a Eudibamus or some kind of amphibian for Ducky, a Coelurosauravus for Petrie, a Lystrosaurus or Scutosaurus for Spike, a gorgonopsid for Sharptooth, and an Edaphosaurus for Littlefoot (alternatively, he could be the Lystrosaurus). :p

Many people would probably consider the scientifically accurate Lystrosaurus to be a rather ugly creature
Whacha talkin' bout? It's cuuuuuuutttttteeee.....in its own little way! :lol:
I agree, and wouldn't be surprised if a number of people considered it “ugly cute”, but my guess is that the average person wouldn't find the real creature particularly appealing.

I'm still loving your dinosona!! The pose, the color, the tail!!! The tail is awesome!!! :lol: When you do draw a new pic of your dinosona, tell me so I can swarm all over it!! :smile
You'll be the first to know, although it may be quite a while. In the meantime, though, you can check out DarkWolf91's art thread
DarkWolf91's art thread for a picture she drew of my dinosona (I'm surprised by my dinosona's popularity; I didn't even ask her to draw it :wow). At the moment, it's her most recent picture, but her artwork is so good that I highly recommend you look at the entire thread. :yes

Finally: That starday card is sooooooooooooo adorable!!! When I saw it, I went "Awwwwwww!!!", then I squee'd at the cuteness! I loooooove the text, the coloring morphing from yellow to red perfectly! And the birthday hats are sooo cute; I love everyone's expressions!!  :lol , the sharptooth's eyes are entirely covered by the hat, that's so sweet!!
You could say that it's an unofficial addition to the thread at this point, since my plan was to post my drawings in chronological order, and there were two other pictures I drew between my dinosona and the star day card, but I'm glad you like it! :smile

I love all your drawings; they're very good and I'll definitely be waiting eagerly for more!!
Thank you again. You've just given me a lot more motivation to post more of my pictures. :D Hopefully that'll be soon, but I can't make any promises, I'm afraid. :unsure:

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
AT LAST! After nearly two years of procrastinating, my LBT art thread finally has its third picture. :wow Mind you, it’s not a new picture (it’s actually even older than the thread itself; the time it took for me to post it was due to me being too lazy to finish writing the description/explanation that goes with it :rolleyes), though I *have* cleaned it up a bit from the original scan.

This is Siak (pronounced “SEE-ack”), an OC of mine who appears in Caustizer’s LBT fanfiction Far Away Home. She was created in December 2009, after Caustizer contacted me with the generous offer to create an OC for use in his story. Given my fondness for strange and obscure prehistoric animals, it should come as no surprise that I picked a species that had never appeared in LBT.

Siak is a Masiakasaurus knopfleri (one of the most confusing-to-pronounce dinosaur names out there; I usually go with “mah-SHEE-ah-kah-SORE-us NOP-flur-eye”), a small theropod dinosaur from the late Cretaceous of Madagascar, most notable for its unusual teeth. Some fish-eating pterosaurs, such as Rhamphorhynchus, had similar forward-pointing teeth, but Masiakasaurus was the first dinosaur discovered with this feature. It is widely speculated to have eaten fish, and other small, wriggly creatures. It was an abelisauroid, a member of the same group as Carnotaurus, though it is estimated to have been only about six or seven feet long.

I’m not very creative with designing original characters in the LBT style, so when drawing Siak, I looked mainly at fast biters for reference. (Obviously the teeth are different, as are the hands and feet; Masiakasaurus had no sickle claw, and many of its relatives had four fingers.) Otherwise she is mainly based on a clipart of Masiakasaurus I made years ago (probably in 2003) when I first became interested in the dinosaur, a design which was itself inspired by my favorite ever picture of Masiakasaurus, done by a paleoartist named Luis V. Rey. The spines and the bronzey green coloration came directly from that painting (I added red stripes because I like a little extra color on my dinosaurs :p), as did the protofeathery “vest”, which I removed in the LBT version. For one reason or another, I ended up restricting Siak’s spines to the nape of her neck. I also made them longer and colored them dark red to complement her stripes. I tested out several mixes of bronze and olive green hues before I finally settled on her body color (which, after I scanned it, ended up looking browner than I would have liked). Her pose and expression in the picture are meant to imply nervousness and uncertainty (see her bio below), but unfortunately my level of talent in drawing anything beyond the simplest of expressions and the most static of poses is completely lacking, so I can’t say that I’m completely satisfied how she turned out. :neutral

Character-wise, I originally envisioned Siak an outcast among both leafeaters and sharpteeth: the former because of her fierce appearance and the latter because they deemed her weak for only using her extraordinary jaws on fish, refusing to hunt other dinosaurs. I thought of her as being friendly, but timid to the point of cowardliness, preferring to run from threats rather than confronting them, and only using her teeth and claws as an absolute last resort. I imagined she would be easily surprised: whenever she heard a sound behind her while standing by the riverbank, her immediate reaction would be to yelp in fright and dive into the water. :lol

In Far Away Home, Caustizer wrote Siak as a completely different character: quirky and extroverted, seemingly scatterbrained at times (something of a Cloudcuckoolander), but also extremely maternal and vehemently protective of children. One trait that remained consistent with my original concept of the character was that she couldn’t bear to kill anything bigger or more sentient than a fish. I personally found Caustizer’s portrayal of Siak to be much more interesting and entertaining than the personality I came up with. (Thank you again, Caustizer, if you’re reading this. :))

At the time I made this picture, only a relative few fossil fragments of Masiakasaurus were known: parts of the lower and upper jaws, some arm and hip bones, several vertebrae, and most of the hind legs. In early 2011, however, new information on the species was published, including a near-complete reconstruction of the skeleton based on new fossil material. While this is great news for paleontology, it also means that many Masiakasaurus pictures, including this one, can be considered fairly inaccurate. Siak’s head is too large; her neck too short; her arms too long; her snout should be slightly shorter, deeper, and blunter; and her teeth should be smaller, shorter, more curved, and project less far forward. Truthfully, I knew that the shape of her skull and teeth were less than accurate even at the time I drew them; :oops I knowingly made the teeth bigger than they should have been becauseólet’s face itóthis was a caricatured cartoon version of the real Masiakasaurus, and I wanted to emphasize the species’ most distinctive characteristic. The snout just sort of ended up narrower than I would have liked, and I was reluctant to try to change it because it already looked reasonably good and I doubted that I could make it more realistically proportioned without messing up the rest of the head.

So that’s Artwork #3 for this thread. I still have roughly eighteen to twenty other pictures to share before I’m fully caught up, most of them star day cards I’ve made for various members. Not all of those are strictly LBT-related, so I’ve been debating with myself on whether to start a separate thread for all my star day cards. :unsure:

Well then, assuming there are members out there who find some semblance of visual appeal in my colored pencil cave paintings, :p and haven't been put off or bored to sleep by my yammering, :P: I'd love to hear your comments. :D

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
It’s good to see another picture from you!
Siak’s colors remind me of a muscadine grape, uh, sans the red stripes.  :^.^:  I rather like the surprised expression on her face and the flow of her tail, but her legs seem a little off.  Is she supposed to be lifting her left leg slightly? Or is she standing on both legs evenly? Because if she's supposed to be balancing on one leg then her right leg should be under her body more, so she won't fall over backwards.  ;)

And your so-called yammering isn't boring; I wish I could write as much as you can :p  

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks very much for your comments, FreckledOne. :) (Wow, I never expected to hear Siak compared to a muscadine grape. :lol)

Quote from: FreckledOne,Sep 3 2012 on  05:33 PM
I rather like the surprised expression on her face and the flow of her tail, but her legs seem a little off. Is she supposed to be lifting her left leg slightly? Or is she standing on both legs evenly?
She's standing on both feet, but her left leg is in a slightly different position, as if she's taken a tentative step forward with her right foot and her left foot is trailing behind slightly, with the toes spread farther apart. I am usually best at drawing dinosaurs in profile view, but in the case of this picture (as well as the other two I have posted so far in this thread, oddly enough), I wanted a view of the inside of her mouth (specifically her lower jaw) to showcase her distinctive dentition, and felt that that could best be done with the "camera" angled at her slightly from the front and slightly from above. As a result, her right leg appears to be higher up and farther forward than her left. Now that you mention it, though, it does look a little strange. :oops

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
Whooooo!! A third picture!!! I would've gotten this review done sooner, but I was trying hard to make it as well-thought out as your reviews towards my work. Unfortunately, I'm not good with words when it comes to reviewing (probably why I don't give it out too often) and it was difficult trying to make this review as neat as yours. I don't think I've succeeded on this final draft, but it does portray my thoughts the best out of all the other drafts! :D

All I can say is: this pic looks GREAT, especially for an older drawing!! One thing I'd like to say that I LOOOOOVE, and this is a subtle thing, but it makes the picture for me, is the fact that there's no lines separating the patterns on her main body; the colors of her underside and the red stripes really blend well with the main color. I always wanted to make patterns like that, but I find myself always needing some type of line to color within. The mouth is also incredibly well executed, especially how the lower jutting teeth seem so dimensional in their placement.  I'm also incredibly fond of the spikes along the back of her head; you've done an excellent job joining them to the skin and having that slight 'overlapping' look between the first and second one. The steady decrease in size as the spikes go down her neck is so smooth and flowing, without one accidently being a bit too long and ruining that flow. And remembering how you always say you have a hard time with hands and feet, I think you did wonderfully here!! The right foot could use some work (perhaps make it meet the ground a bit less sharply), but the other foot and the hands are great!!

Dang it, with everything you pointed out in your description, you're not leaving me enough room to practice constructive criticism (something I admit, I'm not too good at giving) :lol: . As you said, the teeth do seem a bit too large, but I personally like it (though I do wonder if she's capable of closing her mouth! :DD ). I think to help with the expression, if the brows lower a bit on the back part of the eye (like one would see in a sad expression), it can help convey the 'nervous/uncertain' look. Another thing I personally do when drawing a nervous character is have the character smile a bit, so the look of the eyes are not confused with sadness, and it can also have the added benefit of showing a nice and kind personality.

*looks at the paragraphs above* Heh, look at me, pretending that I know what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:  :lol

And she's in Caustizer's fanfic? I think I've read that story a looooong while back, and I don't think I recall her. I think I should reread it, just to find her! Yes, she might have a different personality than you originally conceived, but she's still your character!

I still have roughly eighteen to twenty other pictures to share before I’m fully caught up, most of them star day cards I’ve made for various members.

Oooooo! You have a LOT more pictures! When you're ready to submit them here, I'd love to see them. Seeing some older drawings from you, I'm pretty interested on how much progress and improvement you've possibly made with your current works! :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Sep 15 2012 on  08:02 PM
Whooooo!! A third picture!!! I would've gotten this review done sooner, but I was trying hard to make it as well-thought out as your reviews towards my work. Unfortunately, I'm not good with words when it comes to reviewing (probably why I don't give it out too often) and it was difficult trying to make this review as neat as yours. I don't think I've succeeded on this final draft, but it does portray my thoughts the best out of all the other drafts! :D
First off, thank you so, so much for this review. :D I can’t express how touched I am that you worked as hard as you did to write the kind of review you thought I deserved. You really didn’t need to go to all that trouble; I don’t expect anyone to emulate my overly wordy and detail-laden reviewing style when giving feedback on my work. The reason my reviews are so lengthy is because that’s how they always end up when I write them. I just comment on what I see, what details I notice. And I tend to notice a lot of details. In other words, long, detailed reviews are my personal style, and if that’s not your style, then you shouldn’t have to try to match it. I’m just happy to hear your response. Trust me, if your reactions to the photos and drawings I’ve sent you by PM and e-mail represent your “natural” reviewing style, then I’ll enjoy and appreciate your reviews just as much. :)

Having said all that, I am amazed by this review. Honestly, it looks almost exactly like one of mine, just a bit more enthusiastic (and that, in my opinion, is a good thing :smile). It doesn’t change what I said before, though: if it’s easier for you to just “spazz out”

All I can say is: this pic looks GREAT, especially for an older drawing!! One thing I'd like to say that I LOOOOOVE, and this is a subtle thing, but it makes the picture for me, is the fact that there's no lines separating the patterns on her main body; the colors of her underside and the red stripes really blend well with the main color. I always wanted to make patterns like that, but I find myself always needing some type of line to color within.
One trick I sometimes use with the coloring is to draw very thin, faint pencil lines to denote the patterns (or drawing them in and then erasing), so that when you color in the picture, the lines are nearly invisible. Alternatively, if you use a computer program to do the coloring, you can effectively erase the pencil lines by just coloring over them.

The mouth is also incredibly well executed, especially how the lower jutting teeth seem so dimensional in their placement.  I'm also incredibly fond of the spikes along the back of her head; you've done an excellent job joining them to the skin and having that slight 'overlapping' look between the first and second one. The steady decrease in size as the spikes go down her neck is so smooth and flowing, without one accidently being a bit too long and ruining that flow.
Thanks. :) That is what I was going for, on all those accounts. I can’t tell you how hard it was to draw the teeth.

And remembering how you always say you have a hard time with hands and feet, I think you did wonderfully here!! The right foot could use some work (perhaps make it meet the ground a bit less sharply), but the other foot and the hands are great!!
It’s funny how you don’t notice things about your own work until someone else points them out. You’re right; that right foot does look awfully weird compared to the left (We’re talking about the same foot, right? The one with the toes close together?). Now that I look at it, I think the back of the foot looks too sharp, while the back of the ankle joint doesn’t stick out enough. See, I’m still having trouble with feet! :p

Dang it, with everything you pointed out in your description, you're not leaving me enough room to practice constructive criticism (something I admit, I'm not too good at giving) :lol: .
Sorry about that. :lol I’m so critical of my own work that I tend to point out all the faults I see in it. Actually I kinda do it on purpose; :oops I kinda think of it as a service to reviewers, so they don’t waste their time pointing out flaws I’ve already noticed.

As you said, the teeth do seem a bit too large, but I personally like it (though I do wonder if she's capable of closing her mouth! :DD ).
I tried to put little spaces between her upper teeth to suggest that that’s where her lower teeth would fit, but I think you’re right; she should be physically incapable of shutting her mouth. :lol

I think to help with the expression, if the brows lower a bit on the back part of the eye (like one would see in a sad expression), it can help convey the 'nervous/uncertain' look. Another thing I personally do when drawing a nervous character is have the character smile a bit, so the look of the eyes are not confused with sadness, and it can also have the added benefit of showing a nice and kind personality.
It occurs to me that I did both of those things when drawing the facial expression on my dinosona. I think there are a number of reasons I didn’t do the same here. First, I tend to think of the “smiling with back-slanted brows” expression as implying a shy, awkward kind of nervous (which is what I was aiming for with my dinosona). In Siak’s case, I looking for a scared, jumpy kind of nervous, like a frightened animal. So it wouldn’t have made much sense to me to have her smiling. You still make a good point with the brows, and I think one reason why I didn’t slant them was precisely the problem you described: I wanted to avoid accidentally making her look sad instead of scared. Another reason might have been because I wasn’t sure how I could make that expression work with the eyelashes. Did I mention the trouble I had with the eyelashes? Man, I had new respect for the artists who draw the LBT characters with eyelashes after that. Those things were a flurpin’ nightmare. :wacko

*looks at the paragraphs above* Heh, look at me, pretending that I know what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:lol
Judging by how well you draw expressions on your characters, I’d say you know what you’re talking about! ;) Thanks a lot for those pointers! :smile

And she's in Caustizer's fanfic? I think I've read that story a looooong while back, and I don't think I recall her. I think I should reread it, just to find her!
She shows up in Act IV, first referenced by another character in Part IV, and makes her appearance in Part VI. It's not a bad idea to read Far Away Home from the beginning, though; it's a great story, and Siak is far from the best thing about it. :p

Oooooo! You have a LOT more pictures! When you're ready to submit them here, I'd love to see them. Seeing some older drawings from you, I'm pretty interested on how much progress and improvement you've possibly made with your current works! :)
It’ll be slow, but I’m hoping to get them all up here eventually. I’ve already started writing the description for the next picture (though that’s almost meaningless as far as indicating how soon I’ll finish it <_<).

Again, Sparky, thank you so much for putting all that work into writing a review for me. *bearhugs ya*

And a message to other members (especially those who have previously posted reviews in this thread): just because I was gushing over FlipperBoidSkua’s review doesn’t mean that I’m any less grateful for your reviews. I appreciate anyone who takes the time and effort to post feedback on my drawings. If you happen to like my artwork, I’d love to hear your comments, no matter how long or short they are. ;)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
As always, I am thrilled and impressed by the depth of research that goes into all of your drawings :)
Her pose and expression are anything but static! They're wonderfully subtle. She definitely looks off-put by something, in an alert and unsettled kind of way. You really used her design to influence that expression effectively, too. The sharp shapes of the spines and the irregular lower teeth accent it quite well, and, in my opinion, add a touch of comedy to it :p
There's a natural flow to the way she's standing that makes her look prepared for motion. Again, it suits her expression nicely- subtle, but not static!

As for criticism, I don't have much!
Her balance does look like it might be a tad off, as I believe others have mentioned. This happens a lot in mid-motion, but if it was not intentional, I would suggest the placement of her left foot be a bit farther back.
A good way to figure out standing balance is to draw a line from the subject's center of gravity to the ground, and angle the supporting limbs around that. That's one way to go about it, anyways!
Also, the positioning of the arms strikes me as a bit uninvolved for a nervous pose. Perhaps something with a little more tension, or a bit of action, would have suited it better?

Love seeing new work from you- it brightened my day :smile
Hope my suggestions were somewhat helpful!
Oh, and I love her colors, by the way. Those stripes are gorgeous!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, thanks so much for your review, DarkWolf, and I'm really sorry for taking so long to respond. :oops I've had a lot of stuff to do this month.

Quote from: DarkWolf91,Oct 5 2012 on  06:21 PM
As always, I am thrilled and impressed by the depth of research that goes into all of your drawings :)
Her pose and expression are anything but static! They're wonderfully subtle. She definitely looks off-put by something, in an alert and unsettled kind of way. You really used her design to influence that expression effectively, too. The sharp shapes of the spines and the irregular lower teeth accent it quite well, and, in my opinion, add a touch of comedy to it :p
There's a natural flow to the way she's standing that makes her look prepared for motion. Again, it suits her expression nicely- subtle, but not static!
I'm very grateful for your compliments and reassurances. :) And yes, one reason I like Masiakasaurus is that it's a rather comedic-looking dinosaur. :lol

Her balance does look like it might be a tad off, as I believe others have mentioned. This happens a lot in mid-motion, but if it was not intentional, I would suggest the placement of her left foot be a bit farther back.
Strangely, though I keep looking at the picture, I can't find what makes it look unbalanced. :confused :oops As I mentioned in another response, I agree that her feet should be on a more even level, and I didn't get the shape and position of her legs quite right. The angle of the picture may be part of the problem: we are meant to be viewing Siak as if a camera was set up facing her from the side, then rotated slightly to the left (towards the viewer) and upward. The trouble is, I'm hopeless at drawing dinosaurs from any angle except profile, so I don't think I managed to portray that perspective recognizably. :rolleyes

A good way to figure out standing balance is to draw a line from the subject's center of gravity to the ground, and angle the supporting limbs around that. That's one way to go about it, anyways!
Thanks for the tip! Though if I can't see the imbalance in this picture, then it may be that I'm just no good at recognizing where my characters' center of gravity is. :unsure:

Also, the positioning of the arms strikes me as a bit uninvolved for a nervous pose. Perhaps something with a little more tension, or a bit of action, would have suited it better?
Arms, hands, legs, feet, fingers, and toes are always a real challenge for me, especially when drawing dinosaurs. I did a ton of erasing and redrawing of the hands, especially the right one. The palm on that hand was originally going to be facing sideways, as if she were gesturing in some way. But no matter how many timed I redrew it, the hand continued to look like it was upside-down, so eventually I gave up and drew it with the palm facing downwards. I suppose I could have drawn her with her fingers interlaced, twiddling her thumbs or something, but I doubt I could have managed to make it look good.

Oh, and I love her colors, by the way. Those stripes are gorgeous!
Thanks. :smile Drawing those stripes was tricky, but I'm glad I included them. They're my favorite part of her color scheme. As for her main body color, I did a lot of experimenting with different colored pencils to get the shade I wanted. She still didn't end up looking quite right, though, because the scanner changed the appearance of the colors. <_< I guess I've gotten used to them since then, however, because I think I now prefer them over the colors I originally wanted to give her.

Love seeing new work from you- it brightened my day :smile
Hope my suggestions were somewhat helpful!
Your comments brightened my day! :DD Thank you so much; I really appreciate your review and your advice! :D

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I thought I had already posted a comment in this thread, and I found out I hadn't (curse my absentmindedness!! If that were an Olympic sport, I'd win.... not something I'm proud of :p)
I love your artwork, especially the coloring! It's so smooth and 3-Dimensional, it's really eyecatching. And you nailed Ruby up there in that card^^
I liked your Microraptor on the previous page. The expression was perfect and I couldn't help smiling when I looked at him. It looked to me like he was giving a hesitant wave of the hand^^
Siak looks very impressive, and I remember reading about that dinosaur in the Nat Geo. My reaction went as so: gawking, then smiling, and then I thought, "this is a totally sick dinosaur!" I believe the Stygimoloch was in the same issue ;)
Your characters show up amazingly-anatomy-wise, and detail-wise. I find it really cool how you're able to bring in that much detail and bg to your characters^^
Really great artwork and I looked forward to seeing more!
(P.S. I found that Lystrosaurus to be incredibly cute^^ but then again, I think Vampire bats are cute, crocs and gators are cute, aye-ayes are cute... I have a rather interesting definition of cute^^)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for your comment, StrutEggStealer! :D I'm sorry I didn't respond to this sooner; somehow I didn't even notice at first that there was a new post in this thread. :oops

Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Dec 10 2012 on  09:58 AM
I thought I had already posted a comment in this thread, and I found out I hadn't (curse my absentmindedness!! If that were an Olympic sport, I'd win.... not something I'm proud of :p)
Trust me, I'd probably at least tie with you in the absentmindedness Olympics. :p I'm pleased just that you've noticed my work and taken the time to review it at all! :smile

I love your artwork, especially the coloring! It's so smooth and 3-Dimensional, it's really eyecatching. And you nailed Ruby up there in that card^^
Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard someone say that my art looked three-dimensional. :wow That's one comment I never thought I'd get, because depth is one aspect of drawing that I have real trouble with.

And thanks. :DD Yeah, I'm really happy with how Ruby turned out in that picture. I have yet to write a proper post dedicated for that image (Poor Caustizer, I hope he can forgive me for taking so long to showcase his card :unsure). I've decided now that I'm going to start a separate thread for cards and card-related artwork, and that one will be first in line.

I liked your Microraptor on the previous page. The expression was perfect and I couldn't help smiling when I looked at him. It looked to me like he was giving a hesitant wave of the hand^^
I really appreciate hearing that. That's exactly the impression/reaction I was hoping to evoke with that picture. :smile

Your characters show up amazingly-anatomy-wise, and detail-wise. I find it really cool how you're able to bring in that much detail and bg to your characters^^
Again, thank you very much. :^.^:

(P.S. I found that Lystrosaurus to be incredibly cute^^ but then again, I think Vampire bats are cute, crocs and gators are cute, aye-ayes are cute... I have a rather interesting definition of cute^^)
Do you mean the one I drew, or the Wiki image of a realistic Lystrosaurus I used as reference? Or both? In any case, I actually agree with you about all of those animals you mentioned (and many other, even weirder ones) being cute, so rest assured that rest assured that your definition of "cute" doesn't seem strange to me. :p

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jan 22 2013 on  12:40 PM
Do you mean the one I drew, or the Wiki image of a realistic Lystrosaurus I used as reference? Or both? In any case, I actually agree with you about all of those animals you mentioned (and many other, even weirder ones) being cute, so rest assured that your definition of "cute" doesn't seem strange to me. :p
I think I meant both^^
And no problem regarding the feedback. I'm glad I'm able to give well-thought-out feedback instead of squeeing and going all "OMG THERE ARE PICTURES OF FLIPPING DINOSAURS ON HERE!! HJSDHCVCV!!" You get the idea...
*facepalm*
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Jan 22 2013 on  12:50 PM
And no problem regarding the feedback. I'm glad I'm able to give well-thought-out feedback instead of squeeing and going all "OMG THERE ARE PICTURES OF FLIPPING DINOSAURS ON HERE!! HJSDHCVCV!!" You get the idea...
*facepalm*
Hey, I love hearing ecstatic responses. :lol (Why do you think I'm such good friends with FlipperBoidSkua? :p) It really pleases me to get detailed comments on my work, but there's also something about exuberant emotional reactions that I find immensely satisfying (like when I give someone a card in real life and they crack up at a funny character I drew on it). So don't be afraid to spazz out in your reviews of my artwork if that's your natural reaction. ;)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry, no artwork in this post, but I do have some fairly big news: I have started a new thread in the Visual Art section where I will be posting members' star day cards and occasional artwork of the non-LBT characters I have created for the cards I make outside the GOF. The introductory post contains a specially made piece of "cover art". Head on over and check it out! :smile

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Excellent idea! :smile Always loved your work myself. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Aw, thanks! :^.^: I'd love to hear your comments, if you ever have the opportunity to post them. :)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well unfortunately I'm not right brained at all, so I'm sure my artistic criticism and praise isn't going to come out all that right, BUT, one thing that does stick out at me is how your drawings seem to capture the essence of those "coffee table books" from my childhood we'd have about dinosaurs and paleontology, but still have that animated/Don Bluth essence of being from the LBTverse. It's almost like this cool combination of the two, and I've really liked that about your work. It flashes me back to my childhood with both the illustrated, scientific dino books I'd look at all the time AND the Land Before Time films I'd constantly watch. :yes :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post