The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fallout: Equestria Fanfiction

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So, I wrote a Side story for KKat's series of Fallout: Equestria...
Yeah.

Fallout: Equestria
Side Story: The Meaning of Heroism

Chapter 1: Leaving the Cage

It's been said that war never changes. But I have to disagree. As history has marched on, ponykind has only found new and more devastating ways to destroy itself. And the last way it settled on was the megaspells. It's been almost two hundred years since the megaspells went off, destroying much of ponykind, and putting an end to Equestria as it had been. But yet, the end of their world was not the end of ponykind. Deep underground, in secure, sealed complexes known as “stables”, ponies continued to live on much as they had before. Generations have passed, and to many, the world outside of the Stables has been all but forgotten. But even still, some ponies continue to dream of the world outside, and seek to find out what lies outside the stables. This is the story of one such group of ponies...

Stable 110, Central Security Station, 8:00 AM

Cold. That's what the Stable was. Cold. They said that it was supposed to be the way that it had been outside of the stable, but I didn't believe a word of it. Any place that was heated by a real sun had to be warmer than this. Honestly, it seems like they had based the temperature of some sort of Celestia-forsaken icebox instead of anywhere ponies lived. For the hundredth time this last year, I found myself thinking about what the world outside was like. I know that the Overmare had always told us that the outside world was nothing but a vast, empty space, and that there was nothing out there for anypony, but I didn't believe her. I figured that there had to be something more out there. Other ponies, open space, maybe even someplace warmer than the stables. I knew there were supposed to be two entrance doors to the stable, hidden someplace most ponies wouldn't find them. If I could just get to one...

“Reon! Didn't you hear me?”

The voice of my superior officer jarred me out of my reverie about the chilly air. I blinked a few times, then shook my head, clearing away the last clouds of my distractions.

“Sir, no sir! My apologies, sir!”

I replied, mentally bracing myself for the inevitable chewing out I was going to receive. Silverblaze, my superior officer on the Stable security force, was notoriously harsh on his subordinates, and as such, I was incredibly surprised when, instead of a harsh rebuke, he instead simply shook his head.

“Reon, you have to get your head back in the game. This is the second time this month that you've spaced out when I'm giving you an order. Is something weighing on you?”

I blinked, surprised, and had to collect my thoughts before I could adequately respond. I shook my head again, then cleared my throat a little.

“Sir, nothing is bothering me. My apologies. It won't happen again, sir.”

I said, entirely convincing myself that I hadn't been thinking about escaping the monotony of the stables again. I forced the thought from my mind, instead preparing myself for whatever mission that Silverblaze would give me. Up until now, the only sorts of tasks that the Stable Security Force had been given were incredibly mundane tasks like checking supposed rad leaks, or resolving simple debates between ponies. The Stable was supposedly designed to be completely impossible to breach, and as such, the security force was little more than a formality. I was just beginning to wonder what sort of mundane assignment I was going to have, when Silverblaze's voice startled me into focus.

“We've been getting reports of irradiated creatures in one of the sub-basements. I'll upload the coordinates to your Pip-Buck now. Go down there, check the reports out, then report back to central. If anything attacks you, you are authorized to use lethal force, but make sure to keep your gun suppressed. We don't want to cause a panic.”

I nodded, then snapped a crisp salute.

“Yes, sir. Understood, sir!”

I said, then turned to go, before Silverblaze stopped me by placing a hoof on my shoulder.

“Reon, take care of yourself. Come back alive, alright?”

He said, surprising gentleness in his normally-harsh facial features. I nodded courageously, then stepped out into the halls of the stable, levitating my gear from my locker and onto my body. Chuckling a little in anticipation of finally getting to do something more exciting than routine patrols...
Stable 110, Sub-basement 1, 10:15 AM

I quietly stepped through the pneumatic door to the first sub-basement, taking a look around. The sub-basements were far removed from the main part of the stable, supposedly because they were unused, and the Overmare didn't want anypony wandering down there and getting lost. And yet, here I was, down in the dark, winding underbelly of the Stable. As the door hissed shut behind me, I toggled the light feature of my Pip-Buck on, casting a quick glance at my Eyes-Forward Sparkle, or EFS, in order to figure out if there were any hostiles in the area. Almost immediately, I saw several red dots directly ahead of me. Levitating my pistol out of its holster, I made my way across the room I was currently in, stopping at the door. I steadied myself, bracing for combat, then pressed the door-release button. With a dull pneumatic hiss, the door slid open, and I stepped around into the room. Immediately, I heard a shrill buzzing noise, and I saw several disturbing flying creatures. As soon as I set foot in the room, all of them turned towards me, eerie glowing eyes flashing red. Almost as soon as they were facing me, something sharp whizzed past me, some sort of stinger embedding itself in the wall next to me. The others fired similar stingers at me, most of them flying past me, save for a pair of them which hit me in my right shoulder. I flinched back, diving for cover behind a pillar. I winced as I used my telekinesis to pull the stingers out of my shoulder, fishing in my gear's pockets for a kit of medical supplies. Before I could patch myself up, however, two of the creatures flew around the pillar, letting out another shrill buzz. Without hesitating, I swung my pistol up, taking aim down the sights and firing off two quick, precise shots into each creature's head. Both of the creature's heads popped like ripe fruits when the bullets made impact. Somehow, seeing these creatures die reassured me, and I shut my eyes for a moment, slipping into the focus of the Stable-tec Assisted Targeting Spell, or S.A.T.S, and stepped out from cover. Time seemed to slow down, and I targeted each creature, lining up my shots on each of their heads. As time slowly returned to normal, I fired off each of the shots, each one landing precisely where I had aimed. I grinned for a second before my vision blurred, then I fell to my knees for a moment, looking at my shoulder and realizing that those stingers must have been poisonous. I stumbled my way back to the the pillar where I had taken cover before, fishing in my dropped medical kit for an antivenom. Finally finding one, I floated it up, plunging the needle into my wounded shoulder and injecting the cocktail of antitoxins into my system. I slumped back against the pillar, shutting my eyes for a moment, allowing the antivenom to purge my system of whatever the stingers had injected into me, then grabbed my radio.

“Commander Silverblaze, this is Officer Reon. I can confirm that there are irradiated creatures down in the sub-basements. They've already spread to the edge of sub-basement one. I'm not sure where they got in from.”

Commander Silverblaze's voice crackled over the radio a few seconds later.

“Roger that, Officer. Standby for orders. I've got to get in contact with the Overmare.”

“Confirmed, Sir. Reon, over and out.”

With that, the radio line went silent, and I was left alone in the basement. I checked my shoulder wound, and, after determining that the wound wasn't too severe, I retrieved some bandages from my medical kit, dressing my wound and sealing the bandages with a medical sealant. I sat in silence for a moment before my radio sounded again, and I answered it.

“This is Commander Silverblaze. Officer Reon, the Overmare has given us orders. We need to locate and destroy the source of the creatures. Unfortunately, we have orders to not send any further assistance to you, under the excuse that doing so would cause more panic. However, basic scans are showing a weapons locker ahead. Go two rooms up, then take a right. You should hopefully find something of use to you. Good luck, Reon.”

I chuckled bitterly.

“Understood, sir. I'll do what I can. I'll be in touch as the situation permits. Reon, over and out.”

My radio let out a dull click as the line was shut down. I sighed, levitating my pistol back up and loading a fresh clip into it. Shaking a little, I got back to my feet, experimentally placing some weight on my leg. Finding that I could stand with next to no pain, I focused my eyes on the door on the other side of the room, leaning against the wall and pressing the button to unseal the door, stepping around the doorframe, pistol leveled and ready, just in case there was something on the other side that had escaped detection by my EFS. Seeing nothing, I lowered my gun, steadily making my way across the room, still wary of any potential threats that may be in the room. Just as I reached the midpoint of the room, I heard a sharp metallic twang, and reflexively leapt back, just in time to dodge a spray of pellets from a rigged shotgun that somepony had set up here. Shakily, I walked over towards the side of the room that the shot had been fired from, taking a look at the mechanism that had been set up to fire on whomever stepped foot into this room carelessly. The shotgun itself was of the same model that the Stable Security Force still used as a riot suppression weapon, so it was obviously a pre-megaspell design. Judging from the accumulated dust on the weapon and the firing assembly, this trap had lain dormant for a significant time period, and based on the setup of the triggering mechanism, whoever had set this trap up had significant experience in trap design. I quickly dismantled the components of the trap, taking the shotgun, some magical energy cells, and a set of spare shells for my new find. Keeping my eyes trained on the ground and nearby walls, I advanced through the next two rooms, until I found the room with the armory safes. Carefully checking the area around the safes for any traps, I slowly opened the first one of the safes, making sure to stay well clear of the front of the door, in case the interior was rigged with any traps. When nothing happened, I leaned my head around the door, checking the contents of the safe.

Oh, thank you Celestia!

Inside the safe were a pair of pistols and a small submachine gun. I picked up all three of them, slinging the submachine gun across my back, and the pistols into a pair of utility pockets on my gear. Steeling myself, I resolved to come back to this place and check out the rest of the safes if I ever got sent back down here again. Now that I had some weaponry, and was feeling a little more confident, I levitated my helmet off and ran a hoof through my mane, brushing a few errant strands out of my face and taking a deep breath.

“Okay, Reon. You can do this. Just...relax. This is what you've been trained to do. You got this.”

I said, briefly reassuring myself, then took a look at my Pip-Buck again, checking the map of the area. From the look of things, I was near the far side of the area where Commander SilverBlaze had indicated that the reports were coming in from, meaning that I still had a lot of work ahead of me. I shook my head, fixed my mane back out of my eyes again, and slid my helmet back on, letting it synch with my Pip-Buck to project any relevant displays directly onto the face shield of my gear, instead of having to rely on calling up each individual display as I went along. I took one more deep breath, then headed back the way I had just come, taking a right at the first branch I encountered. The first two rooms I came across were empty, save for a scattering of debris laying around the floors, which I paid little interest to, intent on completing my mission first and foremost. The third room I entered, on the other hand, contained a sight that made my blood run cold. Laying nearly in the center of the room was a pony skeleton. I stepped back, tripping over my own hooves, and landing on my flank with a dull thud. I sat perfectly still for a moment, then slowly forced myself to get up, moving towards the skeleton with a morbid curiosity. A quick look over the body showed that the pony had obviously been a resident from the Stable, since there were tattered shreds of a standard jumpsuit still clinging to the bones. Just as I was about to reach out and inspect the corpse for what had killed this unfortunate, my EFS suddenly flared to life, swarming with red dots. I reacted in a flash, jumping back towards the door, levitating my new submachine gun up and taking aim. No sooner had I done so then the vents on the side of the room burst off the wall, and a horde of irradiated insectoid creatures came rushing at me. Thankfully, by the mercy of the goddesses, the creatures lacked any meaningful form of armor, and the small, low-caliber rounds of the submachine gun chewed through them, adorning the floor with more bodies to join the poor pony who had no doubt been killed by these...abominations. As the last of the monstrosities fell, I slowly lowered my weapon, looking around the room and casting a furtive glance at my EFS as I reloaded, slinging the gun across my back once more. Looking around the room, I finally managed to grab my radio, levitating it out of its pocket and up to my face.

“Commander, this is Reon. Can you read me?”

For several nervous seconds, there was only static and silence from the comm line, making me worry that I was cut off from the rest of the force. Just as I was about to put my radio away, I heard the commander's voice.

“Officer Reon, this is Commadner SilverBlaze. What's your situation down there?”

I smiled a little, glad that I was still in contact, before looking back at the room and feeling my spirits drop.

“I'm fine, sir. No major injuries to report. However, I do have a skeleton down here. Unknown cause of death. However, a large swarm of irradiated creatures were in the area. If the body is going to be received, it's at coordinates 01-C1-R3. Confirm.”

I replied, eyes continually scanning my EFS for any signs of anything else sneaking up to try to kill me. On the other side of the line, I could hear Commander SilverBlaze tapping away on something, then a reply.

“01-C1-R3. Understood. I'll send a recovery team in ASAP. Any progress on clearing out those creatures?”

I nodded, then realized how foolish I was, nodding when I was the only pony nearby.

“A little, sir. The biggest difficulty now is figuring out where these things are coming from. I'll see what I can dig up, and radio you as soon as I find out. Is that acceptable, sir?”

Commander SilverBlaze was silent for a moment, then I heard another soft set of tapping noises before he replied again.

“Understood. Stay safe out there, Officer Reon. Don't hesitate to fall back if you need to.”

I smiled a little, wondering what had prompted the Commander to suddenly be so kind to me all of a sudden, before shaking my head and focusing back on the mission.

“Alright. Will do, sir. Reon, out.”

Once more, my radio clicked silent, and I slid it back into its' proper place. Flicking a glance at my map again, I decided that heading the way I was currently was the best idea, since it seemed like that was the direction that the most reports had been coming from. I fought through the next few rooms, occasionally having to shoot through small groups of either the flying creatures or another wave of the insectoids, but having little difficulty. After a few short minutes, I had battled my way through to the room before where the reports cut off. Taking a few deep, steadying breaths, I reached a nervous hoof out to the door-release button, and as the door slid away, braced myself for anything as I stepped into the room. But inside, there were no creatures, no skeletons...nothing. Save for one single thing, something so simple, and yet, to me, who had lived his whole life in the Stable, so very...different. Set against the far wall was the large, cog-shaped door that led to the world outside of the Stable. Was this some sort of test? Had the Commander sent me down here just to find this door and see if I would leave? Or was this just some fluke of chance? Whatever it was, I had to finish checking the sub-basement, just to make sure that nothing else was down here. Besides...the door to the outside... it probably didn't work, right? It was probably just a fake, or the passage beyond it was sealed up or something. At least, that's what I kept telling myself as I made my way through the rest of the empty sub-basement. Once I had finished clearing the area, I made my way back up the stairs to the rest of the Stable, but that door kept drifting into my thoughts. Maybe...maybe sometime soon, when I'm off duty...

Stable 110, Central Security Station, 7:00 PM

“So, the irradiated creatures are gone?'

I nodded, slightly proud of myself, despite the fact that anypony could likely have taken care of the task. Commander SilverBlaze smiled a little.

“Well, I have to say, I'm a little impressed, Reon. Anything else of interest down there?”

I hesitated a little when he said that.

Does he know about the door? Should I even...

“Sir, there is a door down in sector 01-C3-R7. It may be one of the original doors to the wasteland.”

I said, without thinking or meaning to at all. Immediately, I tensed up, waiting for a strike, or a harsh rebuke, or something. When nothing came after several seconds, I slowly relaxed my muscles, looking at the Commander. He had his eyes shut, almost like he was thinking about something.

Damnit, why'd I have to go and blurt that out?

I thought to myself, berating myself mentally until Commander SilverBlaze's voice starteled me our of it.

“Good job, Reon. You've done well. You can go home for the day. You must be tired, after all that.”

He said, surprising kindness in his voice and eyes. I nodded a little, then, remembering who I was talking to, snapped a crisp salute.

“Sir. Thank you, sir.”

I replied, then turned and made my way back through the halls of the Stable to my room. Once I got there, I took off my Security Force gear, folding it and storing it in the locker I always kept it in, then grabbing a standard Stable 101 jumpsuit. As I lay down on my bed, staring at the ceiling, I started thinking about the world outside, and what it might be like. Would it really be the how things had been described? Or would it be like I had read that it was before, green and lush? Should I even think about going back to that door, or...Celestia forbid, beyond it? I knew that the Overmare had made it very clear that anypony who left the Stable would not be allowed back in. But what did I have to keep me here? Was there anything worth staying in this...steel cage for? I had never really made any friends, even among the other members of the Security Force, and my parents had been dead and cremated for years now. But still, this was my home. I had been born here, raised here...I was supposed to raise my own family here, and eventually die here. Maybe that last thought was the one that drove me to a conclusion. Someday soon, I'd wait until everypony was asleep, then I'd sneak out of the Stable, and out into the world outside. Thinking this, I slowly drifted off into an uneventful sleep...

Stable 110, Dormitories, 6:05 AM

The next morning, I was awakened by the sound of hoofbeats racing by my door, waking me up from an extremely vivid dream of the world outside the Stable. Quickly rolling out of my bed, I grabbed my Stable Security uniform, throwing it on and racing out my door and down the hall, following the sound of the hoofbeats to the Central Security Station. Once I got there, I saw that the entirety of the Security Force had gathered into the main room, all of them chattering amongst themselves anxiously. The only things I could clearly make out were Commander SilverBlaze's name and mentions of “the outside.” Just as I was about to ask one of the ponies nearby what was going on, there was a loud tap on the local microphone system, and an older-looking pony spoke up.

“Everyone, may I have your attention, please! I am Lieutenant White Star! I'm sure many of you are wondering where Commander SilverBlaze is. The truth is that he has left the Stable. He escaped sometime last night, through a door located somewhere in the sub-basement. While I'm sure that his leaving is a shock to many of us, I would like to remind you that he left of his own free will, and that leaving the Stable is strictly forbidden. And while I know that some of you are inclined to go and look for him, remember that, if you do, you will never be allowed to return...”

As White Star kept on talking, I quietly turned and walked out of the room, making my way back to my room, where I sat down on my chair, looking around at the walls and floor, then turning and looking at myself in the full-length mirror, deciding that, that night, I was going to leave. Commander SliverBlaze had given me the courage to finally let go of the Stable, and to make my move into the world beyond this one. With that in mind, I set my Pip-Buck to wake me up later that night, and again drifted off into a fitful sleep...
Stable 110, Sub-basement 1, 1:00 AM.

I pressed the release button on another door, letting it slide open with a soft pneumatic hiss. Without hesitation, I stepped through, casting a careful glance around, in case the Commander had set any traps, or if any creatures had entered the Stable when he had left. A quick glance at my map confirmed that I was going the right direction, and that I was just one room away from where I had found the door to the outside. I had left my room about 2 hours ago, and had managed to sneak my way through the Stable, avoiding any contact with anypony until I had reached the sub-basement. Now, I stood on the verge of the most major decision of my life. Moving quickly, I crossed the room, opening the last door between me and the exit to Stable 101. Once I got to the controls for the heavy, sealed door that led out of the Stable, I saw a note pinned next to the console with a knife. I looked closer at it, realizing that it was written in SilverBlaze's handwriting.

To whoever is reading this note:
        If you are reading this note, then I assume that you are standing at the cusp of a momentous decision. The decision to leave Stable 110. If you are, then I wish you the best. I don't know what the Equestrian Wasteland will hold, but whatever happens, remember to hold true to yourself and what you believe in. I wish I could offer more than those simple words, but unfortunately, I cannot. But I will be praying to the Goddesses for your sake, if I am still alive and able.
    SilverBlaze.

I looked at the note twice, then softly smiled, lifting it off of the knife and placing it in one of the saddlebags on my gear. Taking a deep breath to steel myself, I reached out, pulling the lever to open the door. As it slid open, moving almost silently despite it's great size, I mentally braced myself for whatever lay outside the Stable. And once the door was fully open, I stepped forward, out into the unfamiliar Equestrian Wasteland, the door on my past life sliding shut behind me with a soft thud. Taking one last look back, I stepped bravely into the tunnel that lay ahead, not yet knowing what I would face.

Thus, my story began. A story which would intersect with many others throughout the Wasteland, and would one day lead me to realize the true meaning of being a hero. My name is Reon. And this...is my story.

LEVEL UP!
Current Level: 2

PERK GAINED!
Perk: Steady Levitation
Due to your advanced training with wielding small arms, your aim when firing from the hip is increased by 33%. In addition, your weapon will no longer sway when aiming down the sights. Only active when using small arms or assault rifles.