The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Possibly leaving Deviantart

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm seriously considering leaving Deviantart.  I hate to say it because I've been a member there since 2008, but they just keep making more and more crappy changes.  Today I logged in and found a watch notification in my inbox from a user who is not on my watch list.  After doing some digging, I found that these are "promoted deviations", meaning that they force their way into your inbox whether you watch them or not and the only way to opt out is to get a premium membership.  To me, that's just says "pay up or we'll spam your inbox".

If they're not on my watch list, their art has no business showing up in my inbox, period!  I don't wish to be a member of a community that basically flips their users the middle finger and spams them with unwanted crap.  And don't even get me started on that crap where you get automatically redirected to the "watch" page upon logging in whether you want to be redirected or not.    

I've had other issues as well, such as staff members who refuse to deal with a block evader who was harassing me with several sock puppet accounts.

So, I guess the question is, are there any decent alternatives to Deviantart out there?

Update: I added the "Promoted" group to my block list so I'll see if that stops the spam in my inbox.  

Also, I found a work around for the redirect to the watch page crap by bookmarking the "browse" tab.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So the rumours were true after all... They better think about how to make their money twice or else they won't be making any soon and the site is doomed  <_<
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not sure if this has been happening to me because, frankly, I have a poor memory and can't remember who I followed and who I didn't (I mean, I know some people I definitely followed, but others I'm not sure, and the name changing thing doesn't help either). Though to be honest, I don't think I'd really care if art from someone I didn't follow shows up in my notifications. I guess I just see it as pretty minor. Nothing I would leave DA for.

But if it's something that bothers you, my best suggestion is to send a complaint in. Odds are, you may not be the only one who is bothered by this.

Leaving DA is entirely up to you. There are other art sites to choose from.