The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Devil May Cry (all)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Anyone into Capcom's Resi Evil spin-off series DMC? With the upcoming release of DMC 4 across platforms (expect Wii) heading our way soon, 'twas wondering about people's thoughts and views on the game's short yet successful history.

I'll kick start it off...

I'm a great fan of DMC, the main character, Dante, is sick and slick, the environments (mostly gothic castles and hellish underworlds) fit the bill pretty well and the animation is smooth and a wonder to look at. The most excelling part I reckon is the gunplay/swordplay switch battle system the game uses. Despite the moves can be somewhat over-the-top (especially in DMC 2 and 3) it works a treat ;). Considering it was directed by the same brilliant mind that formed Resi Evil (Shinji Mikami I believe his name is) I had high hopes of this game.

DMC4 looks likely to continue the trend apart from Dante isn't the primary character for a large portion of the game. From what I've seen on Gamespot.com, DMC4 seems to have a much deeper story to it and our new hero Nero seems to have many of the trends Dante has in terms of controlling him.

DMC4 is due of release in DVD Region 2 around mid-Feb apparently (but I can see that date being knocked back further <_< ) Still, I've got my console ready for it ;)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I loved DMC 3. I wish i could play it right now, but my brother has the ps2. I've never played the first or second one though i wish i had. As for DMC 4, i might get it. One of my brothers owns the 360 though so im a bit hesitent to buy it, not to mention i will probably be playing SSBB to realize that the games been released.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Has anyone been out to part-take in the wondrous over-the-topness that is DMC4? I bought it on Friday just gone and I have to say that it's a good one! :D The over-the-top combos and fighting is just as slick as the previous instalments, the story is epic and engaging and the characters are deep and believable. The FMVs are wickid and the fights are even more ridiculously OTT but it all adds to the cool factor. If anything, I'd say the game's greatest ploy happens to also be its greatest weakness. It's more of the same. There's nothing really new to DMC4; it's just an HD, revamped, new plotted version of what we've seen already. Still, any fan of the DMC series will accept it I reckon. But newcomers will probably enjoy it all the same but find it hard to pick up again once complete.

So, anyone else got it?! Whad'dya reckon?

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One tip-off might be my RP hero's name and weapons.  Twin pistols?  I meand, heck, Dante is the greatest hero ever!  Have any of you read the novel?  It explains the engraving on his pistols.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I still have "DMC3: Special Edition" installed on my computer. I have finished it completely even on "Heaven & Hell" difficulty level. Through i'm a little disappointed by trailers and news about DMC4. Nero doesn't looks like a prosperous Dante's successor. Luckely we'll be able to play Sparta's son himself too. :)
I'm still wondering, if CAPCOM planning to insert Vergil into DMC4 story-line. I hope they are. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I have only played Devil May Cry 3, and I didn't like it that much. There was too much fighting involved and my hands were so tired that I found it difficult to continue playing, but if I didn't beat all the monsters I would have to do it all over again. There was no way to save in mid-battle from what I've seen.

I've only played Devil May Cry 3 once and I don't really plan on playing it again, or trying any of the other games. No offense or anything. I just don't think I can handle all that fighting.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'd recommend staying away from all fighting games, then, Dark.

I've played all the DMC series up to date, but DMC4 is really shaping up to the next DMC2 in my opinion. I hate Nero's character, and mission 18 *shudders*.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nero doesn't really fit the bill to be Dante's successor, but then again, I don't think that was Capcom's intention. I think the main reason why Nero was more playable was so the story could be given the angle that it has. I.e. Dante is seen as an assassin at the start of the game with unknown motives. The perfect setup to bring in a new character to rival the game's previous protagonist.

I've played all the DMC series up to date, but DMC4 is really shaping up to the next DMC2 in my opinion

What'dya mean by this WR? Don't worry, no offense taken. I'm just curious since I found DMC2 to be a bit of a oddity that didn't seem to fit the running traits of the first DMC. I didn't like DMC2 as much as I did the others but if that's what you meant, mind explaining your thoughts there? Just for friendly gamers' banter ;)

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
I own and played Devil May Cry 3, and while I found it fun it really isn't my kind of game. The difficulty in some fights can be really annoying and if you lose you sometimes get set way back that it makes you wanna groan and stop playing. I haven't beaten it yet and it's collecting dust in my closet. I should whip it out and give it a good blow to blow away the dust and play it again.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Never played it, but watched my friend play it. I'd probably love it if I did. Looks pretty cool.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Some enemies there(Especually - bosses) can look very difficult, when you first time fighting them, that true. But during a second walk-through, you'll find, that they are just a harmless kids... Of course, if you won't select the harder gameplay level. :lol:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, DMC4 just isn't that great in my opinion. The makers deliberately went out of their way to make Dante less fun to play as this time, and put all the focus on Nero, the typical little brat character whom I'm really loathing at this point.
I'm dreading what is to become of Trish that'll cause her to not be in DMC2, Lady's new...outfit...is out this world, and not in a good way.
Its not particularly bad bad, but its not been overly fun for me, either. Plus, Mission 18 is really annoying with the dice and the major enemies I've already killed twice. Its like Mario Party meets Devil May Cry done in the worse way imaginable.

I just hope it improves after that point, though, once I finally work up enough vigor to torture myself enough to finish Mission 18.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
LOL I've gotta agree with you on the Mission 18...it was VERY annoying having to play Ludo DMC style. It didn't really fit the bill I'll join you there. And there are numerous areas and puzzles that really did get your slightly riled. Granted, Nero was much more of a focus than Dante. I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. It's almost another Raiden/Solid Snake ploy from Metal Gear Solid 2. As I said before, DMC4's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. It's more of the same. If you enjoyed what the previous DMCs had to offer, you'll enjoy this one. But it's nothing new...just in high-def (if you got the connections and stupidly over sized, overpriced TV), and in a new story. I won't ruin the ending for you WR but I didn't think it was as epic as it could have been.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Eh, I don't expect anything overly original, deep, or fantastic from the DMC series. I just expect overly general quality and a high fun factor.

I don't really see the connection between Raiden and Snake and Dante and Nero. Solid Metal Gear is about futuristic warfare and the soldiers who fight and survive through it. Its a lot more acceptable to have other main characters in that one. But Devil May Cry was named after Dante's own shop for Pete's sake! He IS DMC, there are no two ways about it.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't really see the connection between Raiden and Snake and Dante and Nero

What I was getting at was the fact that, having waited so long for the latest MGS release (at the time), fans of the MGS were excited about seeing Solid Snake again. But they are apparently "bitterly disappointed" with the seriously reduced amount of time they got to play with the game's main protagonist. To which, the main bulk of the game was given to Raiden (much to players' dismay). The correlation was that it appears Capcom have made the same "mistake" if you like in that the game's main hero is replaced for the majority of the game. They are pretty much clones of each other in terms of what they do, just their animations are different.

But I do agree with ya. Dante should have been given the reigns and was cruelly cut short but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game despite a few niggling areas the game could've done without (Dante's endless maze thru the forest to name one :^.^: )

Lucario#1

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://msn.com
I love all of the devil may cry games!!! :DD

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Agree, DMC is cruel good!
I just love to slay away iup to Smoking sick stylish! I get it many times!  :wow
Dante in DMC4 with swordmaster + yamato activated. OMG kickass!!!  B)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Technically, that's Darkslayer style, but I get your drift.  What I must say I liked about the game was the balancing.  Nero gets the freakin' awesome Devil Bringer, but as Dante, you get all the fun toys to play with. Both of them also have the greatest sense of humor I've ever seen.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
You can say that again!

Agnus: "Just as foul mouthed as I've heard. The rumors where true!
As will the new ones, concerning your d..d..d...d..demise...!"

Nero: "Don't you think that's a little harsh? Killing me just because the way I ttttttt talk?"

Hilarious!

Yeah, Nero's devil bringer's awsome.
'Specialy against Mephisto's.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.