The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

YouTube videos in Full HD 1080p

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2009/11...to-youtube.html

I don't like it. I have a few reasons for that:

1) It lags... A LOT. At least on my computer.
2) It's really unnecessary IMO. The main point of going to YouTube is to watch videos without worrying about your internet bandwidth. 1080p is just too huge of a filesize, thus, it loads really slow...
3) My monitor's native resolution is nowhere near 1080p (1920x1080). :o
4) YouTube practically compresses your videos no matter what video format you upload in. So if you were to upload an HD video with a really high bitrate, the uploaded quality might not always look as good as the original. The compression might also be even worse in Full HD.
5) Uploading a Full HD video takes A REALLY LONG TIME, especially if they're lengthy. :blink:

Here's a preview of a 1080p video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUM1284TqFc&fmt=37

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'd rather had more decompressed videos than 1080p.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I understand why YouTube is doing this.  It's to keep their status as the #1 video website.  Which is okay, but the problem was that they didn't utilize the server to give you the same download capabilities that you get with SQ and HQ.

This is also, however, in the response of the movement many families made when the economy suddenly dropped.  Many families dropped their cable TV and are now watching videos on-line only to save money.  Some families have even set up their 1080p HD TV and so that it can run videos off their laptop computers. (Yeah, you actually can do that. Here's How!
Here's How!)

Still, it's not surprising that there would be these bad points.  I mean, HD takes up more space then expected. (The quality you get from Windows Live Movie Maker when you save a video in 1080p format is shocking enough.) One must take a lot of factors into play.  Both the good and the bad.

So, in the end, I don't like it, but I do understand the reason behind it. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The more bandwidth-eating, high-quality video that gets served over the internet the better!  It puts pressure on ISP's to actually provide decent service. :anger Comcast....only 250gb/month.  I could eat that up in two days if I was downloading/uploading what I wanted to.  The internet has to move forward, and ISP's will realize they can't impose tiny bandwidth caps because it affects the public!  

If I had more bandwidth per month, I'd make the quality of the TV episodes MUCH better.  Not 1080p of course (I still think you should buy them if you like 'em), but better than a 60mb FLV file.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd like to think that the Internet is prepared to handle streaming 1080p video, but as you mentioned, Austin, there are still big bandwidth concerns, no matter how fast we can stream.

1) ISPs are still unwilling to give decent upload rates to most of their customers, meaning that only the most dedicated uploaders will be willing to share 1080p videos.  The rest won't bother because of the insanely long upload time (which, by the way, will kill their internet speed until it's finished uploading).

2) Most ISP services don't offer enough bandwidth to make regular viewing of 1080p streaming videos viable.  I only get 60GB a month of download bandwidth.  That's not much more than a couple of blu-ray quality movies.  It's never been a problem, but if, for example, every video on Youtube was 1080p, it could quickly become a problem.

On the other side:
1080p monitors for computers are becoming more standard on new systems.  Looking at 22 inch monitors here, the majority of them tend to be 1080p now, not 1680x1050 like they were when I bought mine.  Also, the price of a 22" 1080p monitor isn't much more than a 19" so it's becoming a viable upgrade option.

In short: I think they should have stuck with 720p if they wanted to push for more HD content. 1080p isn't quite feasible as a streaming format in a lot of cases: there is a reason that no TV broadcaster in Canada is broadcasting 1080p on digital cable yet!  It's all 1080i and 720p because the bandwidth just isn't there.  I think it's the same with the internet.

Sure, we can start establishing it but the internet just isn't ready to handle 1080p as the mainstream format for streaming video.  Upload times are going to be brutal, discouraging people from using the format for now.  The majority of people don't have 1080p monitors yet, but this will be changing quite a bit in the next year or two, I imagine.  

Establish 720p as a standard and give ISPs and monitors a chance to catch up.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have no trouble at all streaming that 1080p video.  Then again, I don't exactly have a "normal" connection now do I? :p Most people don't have 50mbps connections and until ISP's suck up some of their losses, not many people will.  I think the law should step in and force ISP's like Comcast to offer unlimited bandwidth once again.  I mean, they wouldn't have imposed the cap if people weren't going over it on a regular basis.  People are giving them a MINIMUM of $50 a month just for internet!  They need to stop hoarding their profits and put some money into their business so they can provide quality service. :anger

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
This is something I can't utilize.  I just scaled back on my cable/internet services and the slower speeds can't keep up.  Don't need bleeding edge quality anyway from youtube.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I'm okay with it. I could write for hours on this but I rather not.