The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Watching LBT with family

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If there's already a topic like this, I apologise to the admins and ask them to merge this post with the previous topic. I haven't been able to find one.

So here it goes.

So far I watched the original movie with my younger brother, who's 17. During the closing credits of a movie, my brother (and me too) usually turn of the television or go away. But he sat through the entire "If we hold on together" and in the middle of the closing song, he exclaimed: "This movie has great music". He later said to me it was the best animated movie he'd ever seen (his all time favorite movie is Peter Jackson's LOTR), and it has the second best musical score (the first, of course, is the score of LOTR). His favorite character is Petrie, becuase of his comedy, and his second favorite is Ducky, for her sweetness.

Have you ever watched LBT with family members?
What was their reaction?

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Figured I'd post -_-

I've never really watched LBT with my family. Other than when I was very little. But, I know they like it too.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Only watched the first movie a few times with my parents and sister, but that was when I was much younger (between four-six years) and my interest in the films and characters were not discouraged.  It's the same for other animated movies that I like *coughTLKcough*, in which because they are animated they are equal to view that they are for younger audiences only.  I mean, I can't imagine what I would have got during a discussion of what films everyone had brought if I had mentioned that I had brought LBT with me at the University hall during dinner once.. I got enough for having brought TLK with me.. :rolleyes:

However, having said that for watching the first film with family years ago, I have watched the second and fifth sequels with my sister (who is 16), only reason for that is because she thinks Chomper is 'oh so cute'.  But, at least she will watch them for Chomper at least...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, I watch LBT with my brothers or mother so now and then :) My brother likes LBT as much as I do, so we get along well there. A couple of days ago he randomly started singing "when you're on your own" at dinner. Obviously we grew up on LBT, and I've always acted like a child since I developed my personality... Therefore they do not mind that I want to watch it with them, and they like it too :D

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
HA! As much as I love watching LBT, I hate watching it with anyone else, even if they were LBT fans too  :o

Thats true! No matter what type of person or group of people, what their throughts are, or even if they care for LBT, I would feel that hot, akward sensation running down the spine.

And trust me, I have tried. It did not end up so well.  :p

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
To Bongo: To each his own I guess. I'd love to watch a Land Before Time movie or TV episode with another fan. There was a member named buba on this site who was also from Croatia, but he/she hasn't been on in years. He/she's probably lost interest in LBT by now. Anyway, there are members from Austria, Germany and the Netherlands on this site which I would definitely like to meet sometime in my life. :yes  And a trip to these countries won't bankrupt me, unlike a trip to America.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
LBT was the second movie I ever saw (the first: "Olver & Company". LBT was also the first movie I ever saw with my mom. I watched O&L with my dad when I was just 3 years old (my first theatre movie) and LBT with my mom soon after. My parents and I have a lot in common so I have no problem watching what I love with them. My mom is always happy to watch cartoons with me (she watched Ren & Stimpy with me just the other day LOL :lol) LBT is, obviously, a very special movie for both of us. She loves it as much as I do.

Oh, and my four dogs and cat are always happy to watch just about anything with me too. :DD

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
When I was watching the original, my dad fell asleep. But then, I don't think he's actually ever stayed awake through any film ever...
But talking to him about it afterwards, he said it wasn't really his kind of movie, but he admired the look and animation of it.
As for my mom, she discovered my guilty pleasure of owning a large collection of the series, and commented that she did remember enjoying the 2nd one.

And if all goes to plan, me and my best friend, who has said that he regards the original as one of the best films he's seen (Like me, he loves Don Bluth movies, especially TITAN AE), will sit down together on Sunday and make a Mystery Science Theatre 3000/Rifftrax-style commentary of the original film. Though it will be hard, since we both love the film alot.
But I have been practicing a few good riffs, such as

"And a glorious shot of [insert character's name]'s [crotch/butt]. Thank you, Don Bluth!"

and my personal favourite

"I just invented the [insert name of modern device that is alluded to in the film], I'M A GENIUS!!!"

Bruton the Iguanodon

I watched 4 on 4th of July 1999 with my cousin and younger sister (as well as 3 episodes of "The Little Twins" beforehand) before we went and watched the fireworks show. And then finished the movie when we came home.

Me, my sister and my dad also watched 5 on a rainy sunday morning in January 2001. And then we went out to the beach later that day.  :)

My sister and I watched several together in 2002, like 3.

Oh yeah, and in June 2002 my mom, dad, sister and me all watched 1...mom, as I remember, was very gentle in explaining to us about Littlefoot's mother dying.

If you wanna know my whole story just click here.  :exactly

http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...pic=1091.100

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Well, just recently, I babysat my little cousin, (first-removed) at my grandmother's house, and I brought over the second LBT movie to watch with her.

However, at her age, her attention span was rather short, but my other relatives told me it was the first film she was able to sit through the most.

She seemed very attentive when Littlefoot and the main characters were introduced, as well as the Peaceful Valley song.

She even seemed more attentive when Chomper's parents were first seen attacking them, but seemed rather frightened when Ozzy was threatening them.

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
everyone in my family pratically hates the land before time Kara said Littlefoot was hideous Petrie was ugly Cera was ugly Ducky was ugly Spikes ugly and a pig
she said Ducky is always bragging about swimming Petries always bragging about flying Tarah who is 12 will be 13 said the same thing about Ducky and Petrie
Tarah said Cera was always bragging about how strong she is and Littlefoots always the good one.my cousin apparently hates it too.Kara said Littlefoots Grandma sang like a man and Ducky sung like a man Tarah said that his grandma sung good for an old lady.Tarah said Littlefoot thinks hes so wise because in the 7th one he said he didnt' like Pterano and she said how could he know if that guy was bad or not?
Kara said Littlefoot thinks he such a leader :rolleyes

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I lone LBT my cousin Annie used to like it I think while I was at school In August of 2008 they watched the 4th one mow she thinks shes too good for it so do most of my sisters(I have four sisters an one brother)non of them care about it its pretty sad

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Your sisters seem to know quite a lot about movies they don't like. Just an observation.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think I did when I was younger but not sure if they liked it or not. I think they did. I for one loved it a lot. My Brother watched some of the sequels recently and he thought they where good.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When I was younger I used to watch LBT with my younger sister, but today she isn't interested in LBT anymore :(
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Just over a year ago, my counsin used to love LBT, so I gave her the DVDs I had, since I wasn't interested in it at the time. Now, it's the other way around. She's obsessed with Nintendo games (which I used to be obsessed with) and I'm obsessed with LBT. :lol

I haven't really watched it with my family, but they know about it and like it. My 22 year old brother watches the films from time to time, and my mum jokingly called me a weirdo for liking it at my age, but said it was a really good film, so they like it, but I just don't watch it with them.  ;)

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah my dad does the same thing. He jokingly makes fun of me for liking children's Animation Movies like the Land Before Time but doesn't mean it. I like what I like.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I have the VHS' of 1-8, missing the fourth, and the rest I have recently viewed.

I've watched LBT several times with older siblings, but that was a long time ago, and now I just have my highly judgmental younger siblings who act all weirded and grossed out whenever I mention the series. But I have very clear memories of all of us lying on the carpet,  singing along to Lone Dinosaur or One of Us, same with Big Water, and Beyond the Mysterious Beyond *proceeds to sing very operatically*  lol kooky, kooky family^^

I feel I'm able to enjoy the movies now with my nieces and nephews who are all under the age of nine and love that type of stuff - I practially squee'd with joy when my sister said she had rented LBT 2 for her two little boys, and I got so excited. "What did they think of it!!" She said they liked Strut and Ozzy. Right there... Epic win :lol
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
my older brother Michael hes 18 said that he thinks the first one is one of the best ones they made he doesnt' really care about land before time though hes into kingdom hearts.I said this before all my sisters hate it by the comments they make my mom doesnt' really watch land before time though she and my older sister said one time you can t' spend your life daydreaming about Littlefoot  :rolleyes everyone in my family knows I'm embarassed but my moms fiance (my dad died in 2008 5 yrs ago) got me land before time movies for christmas Two mysteries beyond the great valley 6and 7
and journey through the mists about 2 weeks ago my two sisters Kara and Tarah were sick so when I was at school they played the 4th one to make me mad  :angry:

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
and one time my older sister said I hate the second one theres to many T-rexes and its annoying and said Ducky was annoying and my other sisters did nt' watch it either when I want to watch it should I not watch it cause they dont' want to? that was 2 months ago