The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fact or Crap!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Fact or Crap?
What we see today of Rembrandt's most famous picture, "The night watch" is not the complete picture as the artist painted it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm going to have to say it is crap.  I could find nothing about the paintingbeing incomplete.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Fact or crap
Utapau was the name of the volcanic planet where Anakin got fried to a crisp after getting his butt kicked by Obi Wan.  Explain your answer.  Here is a link to a site if you want to research your answer please.  http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Mustafar

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Excuse me, but actually that last statement of mine was a fact!
They cut away several meters of the pictures as it didn't fit into the building where it was supposed to hang. About three figures from the painting where completely removed. In cases where there is the tiniest uncertainty on whether you're right or wrong, better wait for confirmation. Anyway, go on.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oops, sorry.  I couldn't find anything about that on the internet.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Just because you can't find it on the net, doesn't nessacarily mean it's Crap!, though it is most likely.

You should've learned that from my last Fact or Crap! statement.  I really got everyone good with that, yet I didn't even plan it. (Still don't understand how come it's never been told about until now.)

Now, since you posted a Fact or Crap! statement without being confirmed whether or not it was Fact or Crap!, I'm afraid that statement has to be dismissed entirely.  In other words, it doesn't count.

I'm terribly sorry to do this, F-14, but I believe in fairness.  It was not fair of you to put in a statement without being confirmed whether you were right or not.

It was also most likely you were not right, based on the fact that Malte didn't post to confirm, though he had plenty of oppurtunities to do so.  I can see that Malte went at the same angle as me.  Put up a little something he knew would be hard to find.  I knew mine would be hard to find, based on the fact that religon is highly overlooked, but let's not get into that discussion.  We'll save that for After Midnight.

Anyways, as I was saying, because of what you did, your statement will not count.

Now, I'll be fair and give you 24 hours to post a new one.  If you do not post something within those 24 hours, I'll put one up myself.

Now, to ensure this will never happen again, I'll update the rules.

So, from this moment on, it is a rule that you need to be confirmed of your answer before you can post a new statement.

I'm rather disappointed at you, F-14.  I really thought you had enough common sense to realize that you were indeed wrong.  Do not always assume that something is Crap!, just because you couldn't find it.  Remember, the net doesn't contain ALL information, just NEARLY ALL.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to update the rules.

See ya later. ^_^

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
:huh:  I don't want anything to get off hand here, but quite frankly pokeplayer I think you are overdoing the matter. I want to make clear that I was never as pissed of about the whole thing as one might expect after reading your response which also seems a bit strange being posted four days after the whole thing happened.
I'm rather disappointed at you, F-14. I really thought you had enough common sense to realize that you were indeed wrong. Do not always assume that something is Crap!, just because you couldn't find it. Remember, the net doesn't contain ALL information, just NEARLY ALL.
I think you are quite rude here about F-14. I am annoyed by the carelessness in answering the questions or about questions in other threads being answered incompletely as sometimes there seems to be not enough "enthusiasm" to post more than a sentence in a message. However, this is something I have grown used to from many people. As for myself I admit that I'm not overenthusiastic about anything that requires more than 10 minutes of research either (which is often the case if it comes to questions about barely known events or numbers).
Anyway, I do think it is really unfair if you act like F-14 was to blame for all this. This sounds really like a bad joke to me:
Now, I'll be fair and give you 24 hours to post a new one. If you do not post something within those 24 hours, I'll put one up myself.
Is F-14 supposed to be thankful about anything? He posted a new question and who is willing to research about it can answer it. I sort of gave my "blessing" already telling F-14 and everyone to "go on". There is no point in changing the question until people show really distinct reluctance to answer it.
I don't know if there is any kind of quarrel between you that triggered this sudden reaction. If so, this definitely doesn't belong here!
I consider deleting this and your previous message pokeplayer.
Put up a little something he knew would be hard to find.
Actually that Rembrandt question was very easy. Anyone who would have bothered to type "Rembrandt" or better "Nightwatch" at Wikipedia would have received the answer right away.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have a question.  Can I use the same question again or do I have to come up with a whole new one?  By the way, it was a mistake, people.  No nead to over-react.  I said I was sorry.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If can ask the same question again, or you can think up a new onre. It's up to you...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And I appoligize again.  I should have researched that more that I did.  The rules didn't say I couldn't use the same question again though.  So here is the same question again.
Fact or crap
Utapau was the name of the volcanic planet where Anakin got fried to a crisp after getting his butt kicked by Obi Wan. Explain your answer. Here is a link to a site if you want to research your answer please. http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Mustafar

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Crap.
That planets name was Mustafar. Utapau is the planet on which Obi Wan killed general Grievous shortly before narrowly excaping being killed himself when order 66 was given to the clone troopers.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes that is correct.  It is your turn.  And this time, I'll make sure my responce is confirmed before I post again.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I was in a rather dark mood when I posted, Malte.  I guess I took my anger out on him.  Terribly sorry, F-14.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Let's not mention it anymore and just continue the game :)

Fact or Crap:
The inca were capable of doing medical operations at the human skull, replacing parts of it with plates of silver without killing the patient. An operation that is considered tricky even today.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quite a fact really.

I believe it to be called Trepanation, trephining, trephinning, or trepanning...

All of which mean amazingly the same thing. :) It was mainly a method used to relieve pressure from the brain.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes. It is still amazing, incredible almost, how several middle american people came up with inventions beyond anything Europe or China had seen by that time while in other fields they were lagging far behind (e.g. no use of metal harder than bronze, no realization of the wheel being more than a toy). If only those people hadn't been so horribly overthrown. I wonder what the world would look like today had it not been for them considering the new arrivers gods and had it not been for so many of them dying of the illnesses the Europeans brought along (many, many more native Americans died from these illnesses rather than from first degree murder).
Your turn pokeplayer. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay then...  Here's one for ya.

Fact or Crap!: (Note: You just need your brilliant math mind to figure out this one.)

I am traveling from point A to point B and back.  If I travel from point A to point B at 30 mph, I have to go 90 mph from B to A to make the round trip average out at 60 mph.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, either you guys find this too easy, suspect I'm up to something or don't understand the statement. (I'll go for the third choice of being most likely.)

Make's me wonder which it is. :)

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Fact:

I'll just leave the equation (if I'm wrong then sorry I just came from a math olympics):

(30 + X)/2=60 <=> 15 + x/2 = 60 <=> x/2 = 45 <=> x= 90

If it's not like this I apologise (=
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I'll give NewOrder credit for at least trying to prove it's fact, but seriously guys, the statement is 100% Crap!

This is a problem that has tricked even the greatest math experts for years, and ended up seriously questioning their skills in math.

The true answer is that this is impossible to do, NO MATTER WHAT!

How, you ask?

Here's the way it should be thought:

Let's pretend that the distance between A and B is 1 mile.  60 mph is a mile a minute.  In simple calculating, that makes the full distance to travel 2 miles and at 60 mph, would take 2 minutes.  Now, I traveled from A to B at 30 mph.  I went at half the required speed, so it took twice as long.  Meaning, it took me 2 minutes just to travel from A to B.  Since I just used up all of the required time to make it possible, there is no time left for the return trip.

I got this little problem from the book "Bet You Can't!  Science Impossiblities to Fool You!" It holds 82 tricks in it, all of which are impossible. (Some of which have possible pitfalls, though they are very few.)

Trust me, guys.  Do the math like I showed you, and it will prove to be 100% impossible.

Now, I'll be nice and give NewOrder a chance to put up a statement.

So, you're turn, NewOrder. ^_^