The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Big Gang of Five Meeting?

Mumbling · 129 · 23010

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
My old house would have worked perfectly for this, but unfortunately my current place is only 2,000 square feet.  Though I suppose if we're not paying for a luxury hotel we don't need a 20 people get together.  Still, you don't want to come to Minnesota people, trust me. :x But if anyone else has a large house, I suppose we could get a few people together.  Me personally if we do end up doing this I'll have to stay at a hotel most likely.  Unless of course this is a 5 person or less meeting.  Then I'll be fine.  

I'm going to be honest here.  I don't like social occasions.  I can do great with them on the outside, but they really take a lot out of me.  But I think if I'm with a group of people with similar interests from GOF I'll be fine.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
If I do have the chance (and money) then I actually do have the technical parts for a bigscreen with sound for the European part... however, that depends on when we do this...

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would definitely attend a GOF meeting, although the chances of me flying out to Europe would be 1,000,000 to 1.

I'm all for the video chat idea, though.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 22 2011 on  01:36 PM
My old house would have worked perfectly for this, but unfortunately my current place is only 2,000 square feet.
"Only"? That sounds huge.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^Not really.  Decent sized apartments are around 1,400.  It depends where you live of course.  Obviously most places in the heart of NY city aren't going to be anywhere near those sizes.  Generally speaking, the further out you go from the heart of the city, the larger the homes tend to be.  You also have to remember that I run a business out of my home.  I'd say at least 800 square feet of my home is dedicated to my computer office, which cuts down on the living space considerably.  I've got a lot of valuable equipment in my office and needless to say I don't really want to leave a bunch of people unattended in a place like that.  Besides there's so many computers and parts of computers lying everywhere that there's really not room to do anything but sit in a chair and work on computers. :p

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Oh. Well I admit I'm not good at judging sizes of homes from square feet.  :p

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I think I can count myself to the happy ones who had the luck and met a bunch of GOF members yet. It was a really nice experience and I¥d really love to do it another time. Think is I¥ll start working in August, so I have to know at what time the exact meeting will be, that I can take holidays for this period of time. :)

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Oh, and if possible not June the 3rd - 6th June. At this date there is a german event called "Rock am Ring". Have been there this year and definitly want to go there next year too.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I like the video chat idea a lot. That is a great idea to chat with the members of The Gang Of Five.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
And for anyone for whom accomodation costs may be an issue, I give you:

Couchsurfing. Completely free, and pretty easy. Just sign up and look for a couch to sleep on near where you are going. They seem to do some sort of background checks on hosts, and the only other catch is that you kind of have to hope that someone near where you want to go is signed up on there and hosting a couch.

Still, worth a look once we determine the bases for each area of the world.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Not going to work for me because there are no GOF members near me.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Allicloud,Jul 1 2011 on  02:01 PM

Couchsurfing. Completely free, and pretty easy. Just sign up and look for a couch to sleep on near where you are going. They seem to do some sort of background checks on hosts, and the only other catch is that you kind of have to hope that someone near where you want to go is signed up on there and hosting a couch.

Or we could just use Skype.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd like to, too bad it cost too much to well, head anywhere....especialy heading overseas to somewhere like America.

You lot buy me a plane ticket there and back and we'll talk business :p

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: Belmont2500,Jul 4 2011 on  11:48 PM
Quote from: Allicloud,Jul 1 2011 on  02:01 PM

Or we could just use Skype.
Yeah, but 2 things:

1. You can only have so many people on Skype at once (and it's not free in conference mode), and not everyone may have a mic. So, from what I've seen the plan is to set up bases across the world where people will gather (I'm guessing hotel rooms and suchlike) in small groups, so that everyone can get on conference for cheaper.

2. I doubt that the people who will be hosts for the bases will be willing to let large groups of people stay at their houses, so accomodation would be an issue (If the cam/mic sessions I've had with Pterano, Vonboy and TFM are anything to go by, an all-day meetup is probably not a good idea). Enter Couchsurfing. People can get a couch nearby the bases and travel there for the days.

EDIT: Another little point worth mentioning: The little GoF chatroom that's been set up, it allows for cams and mics, as well as conferencing, and is browser based. So this could be a better alternative to skype

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sure. The base idea sounds great but the chatroom is good too.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's looking pretty unlikely now that I'll have the extra funds for a trip to wherever this big meeting is gonna be. I was hoping that I'd have work over the holidays, but I haven't in like 3 or 4 months. Unless I can get some more work soon, I won't be able to go.

Though, I'll still gladly join in the video conference (Through Skype or whatever) when you do it. :)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I'd love to do this to be honest I have some cash saved up. And where are we gonna meet when this does happen? How is transportation gonna work out and where is everyone gonna stay?

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm all for an online conference with microphones, but the only problem with that is it can get pretty hectic with more than like 4 people talking, and if you're not familiar with everybody's voice, you'll have a hard time telling who's saying what :p

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Ditto @Littlefoot Fan.  If there is a way to do a facial video conference with usernames and all, that might work.  

As for a trip, I'm pretty sure it could work if funds are available (which seems to be the problem with most of the users.)  I also think it could get pretty hectic as you have well over 200 active members.  Also, some of us may not have passports in order to do transatlantic or transpacific flight.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I like how no one answered my questions but that's okay I'm use to being ignored. And the other issue is some of the members don't drive like me. So are any members who do drive are willing to carpool or rent a car and we can split the bill? And the other issue is where each group is gonna meet. Meaning if me LBTLover1 Von and Belmont2500 are a group what state should we meet in so we can all go together and find the other members? Hopefully someone will answer my questions.