The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discussion of "A sudden change of species"

Ducky123 · 283 · 25074

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm confused,who is who?  :blink: You have two people down for Littlefoot

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Quote from: Nahla,Oct 27 2013 on  04:35 AM
I'm confused,who is who?  :blink: You have two people down for Littlefoot
It's because you and Vonboy both want to be Littlefoot, so we need to find a way to decide who gets him.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, but vonboy already has Chomper and Topsy so you'll get Littlefoot, Nahla :) I just wrote both of you for Littlefoot since two people apply for Littlefoot (besides you were first, Nahla)
Inactive, probably forever.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
*gasp!* And I'm not aware of this roleplay right away?! How dare me!

Hmm...Ducky's too darn cute for her own good, so I'll take her. I'd like to also take the male rainbowface, and possibly Redclaw.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't know WHY I put down Littlefoot last night. I meant Chomper.

Oh well, I was working overtime last night, and was tired. :lol
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, vonboy :lol

I'll take the other Rainbowface and Ducky's Mother. If anybody wants them too I'll choose other characters of course ;) Same goes to Cera.

Oh, and welcome TAP :wave

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 27 2013 on  04:13 AM
True, rhombus. If nobody mind it, it is your decision whether Spike can speak Sharptooth or not :yes
Okay.  I think that I will probably have Spike remain mostly silent even if he is capable of using sharptooth.  Old habits die hard.  But the fact the he can speak will change the group dynamics somewhat and that could be interesting to explore.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll take Grandma too :D I never played any of the Grandparents before.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Some of the adult characters still need to be picked (they won't have big part), particularly Chomper's parents. If nobody wants to have them, I might play as one of them, whoever will remain  untaken.

There's another thing: Since the GoF turns into Sharpteeth (if possible each one being a different kind), we need to decide on their species. I ain't a big paleontologist so I don't know many species but I at least know of one of our RPers being quite aware of (specially Sharpteeth) dinosaur species. Toby (Dosu2Dinner), I need you  :angel

I think we can agree on that the smallest members of the Flattooth Gang should also be the smallest members of the Sharpteeth Gang, can't we?
Moreover, I consider it best if the final call about which species the characters will be lies by the fellows who play them.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind playing one of Chomper's parents.

Since Petrie is a flyer, would 'Sharpetrie' also be a flyer or one of the walking type? I can't think of many flying sharpteeth unless they're the type who eat fish - but I don't know if that's the kind you're looking for.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I guess I could also play Petrie's Mom unless somebody else wants to play that character.  

With regards to the species of Spike, I personally think that Carcharodontosaurus iguidensis would be a rather nice fit.  It was one of the heaviest and largest known dinosaurs when it reached adult size (but not as large as Carcharodontosaurus saharicus, Tyrannosaurus rex, or Spinosaurus) which would fit in with Spike's need to continuously eat.  Speaking of which, I wonder if his enormous appetite might drive him to be the first of the gang to actually be forced into hunting?  I would imagine the rest of the gang would put that off as long as possible (perhaps putting off so long that they lose control over their hunting instinct altogether) because killing a leafeater is so antithetical to their previous worldview and moral stances.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out in the roleplay.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
bushwacked: Yes, I think Petrie should be a species that can fly (maybe Ichy's species or Rinkus'/Sierras?)
rhombus: You are right, they won't eat unless they're starving. Spike could be the one that finally convinces them (except Chomper, that is) to get their act together and go hunting in order to survive.
I also agree to the idea that their hunting instincts will eventually get stronger than their aversion for eating leafeaters. Whether or not we do it as an act of affect or a planned hunt, we'll see then. I don't mind :)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Righto, I guess since Sierra seems the most aggressive kind of flyer in the series (I'm using good science here :p), Petrie could become Cearadactylus atrox.

And I like the idea of them trying to resist eating meat as long as they can, but then once they've started they keep getting better at it. Maybe after a while their predatory side could start taking over, and they even start enjoying the hunt?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Oct 30 2013 on  06:51 PM

And I like the idea of them trying to resist eating meat as long as they can, but then once they've started they keep getting better at it. Maybe after a while their predatory side could start taking over, and they even start enjoying the hunt?

That sounds like an interesting idea.  I do not think, however, that they could resist hunting for very long - days at most.  In fact, they might find that the longer they put off eating meat (whether from carrion or freshly killed prey) the more unstable and dangerous they would become in their hunger.  

In terms of hunting instincts, an idea that I have floating around in my head is that Spike (and perhaps others in the gang if anyone else likes the idea) would enjoy the act of hunting at a visceral level (his brain would associate hunting with the resolution of hunger) and an emotional level (the act of chasing would elicit excitement) from the very first hunt, but that he would be guilty over his positive response to hunting.  In my view, at least initially, Spike would like an unwilling killer, enjoying the kill itself but loathing the fact that he enjoys it.  I think that Chomper (and possibly Ruby to an extent) will be instrumental in explaining to the gang (perhaps through stories that are told to sharpteeth and omnivore children?) what it means to be sharpteeth and why they should not feel guilty over what they cannot change.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ That makes a lot of sense, especially as Spike is the most 'food-centric' of the group. Nice idea. I'm guessing that as a sharptooth Spike would be more vocal than he is usually?

Actually, that brings up another point - would the characters keep their speech quirks (e.g Ducky's "Yep yep yep") once they've turned? It would probably be easier to keep them, but I dunno if their sharptooth language might change how they talk?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Oct 30 2013 on  07:27 PM
I'm guessing that as a sharptooth Spike would be more vocal than he is usually?

I am planning on having him be a bit more vocal by his standards (which I know isn't setting the bar very high) but not nearly as vocal as the rest of the gang.  I would imagine that much of the content of my posts for Spike will elaborate on what Spike sees, smells, feels, and thinks, although I will have him converse intelligibly with the others after he changes.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good ideas there :yes We should use them I think.

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I can be Grandpa and Tria if you's want,just to get them taken care of.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
All characters are taken now. bushwacked and I just need to decide on who gets which one of Chomper's parents :lol (your call, bushwacked)

The main plot is set, ideas can always be brought up :yes

I thought we need to discuss some general things first, before we actually start the Rp itself (and some (including me) still need to pick a species his member of the Gang will turn into).

1. Speed: I thought we should try not to post too fast but also not to slow. Concrete: I suggest doing not more than 2 or 3 posts per day but (if possible) no breaks longer than a week should occur. If the RP goes too fast in your view, don't hesitate to speak up and we'll handel this :yes

2. Post Lenght: I think it's obvious that one-liners don't work well. It would be cool if you try to write at least two or three sentences, preferably a paragraph or two. I know that sometimes a short reply is needed but try to avoid (very) short posts. Besides, you might not always come up with something good. In this case, feel free to ask for help, may it be here in the discussion topic (I hope you check it every now and then :p) or a private request.

3. Filling in: If you can't play your character for whatever reasons, please let me know so we can agree on one of us playing your characters as long as you return :)

4. Questions? Are there more things we need to discuss?

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
All sounds good, Ducky.

Erm... I'll go for Mr. Sharptooth in all his roary glory  :p