The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sonic Colors

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4PRXf0TYs

Sonic Colors is the newest Sonic game coming out this year.  It'll come out on the Wii and DS by the Holidays.

A lot of people are flaming this game just because of the title.  Well, do you know what I say?  "F*** the title!  Let me play it, then I'll judge!" (Anyone who judges a game without actually playing it is NO gamer in my eyes and loses all respect as such.)

The story of this game is that Dr. Eggman/Robotnik is attacking an alien planet that is currently near Sonic's planet.  The aliens of the planet, Wisps, get Sonic to help them stop Dr. Eggman/Robotnik.

According to the information, the ONLY playable character is Sonic.  It is to play very much like an old school platformer, with a little twist.  In this game, the Wisps are your power-ups.  One allows you to drill through the earth.  There's more power-ups, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Here's hoping things work out this time. :)

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think a lot of people have simply lost faith in the Sonic games lately. In my opinion, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the last amazing Sonic game. That doesn't mean I don't like the other ones. They are all good, but Adventure 2 was in my opinion the true essence of Sonic.

I agree. This is exactly like judging a book by its cover. Sure the title of the game may not be inspiring, but the game itself may really be unique. The trailer actually intrigued me so I will be looking for this in the future.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You think this game gets flamed unfairly? Look up the reaction to the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It's...it's insane  :anger  It's the most unjustified complaints about a game I've ever heard.

I'm a huge Sonic fan, and my personal favorite is Heroes.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm a huge Sonic fan. He's probably my first ever video game hero but his recent line of games have been adequate at best. The Sonic "Tales" Series (i.e. Sonic and the Magic Ring and Sonic and the Black Knight) looked nice but the gaming mechanics were awful! Sonic Unleashed was well done but that didn't come without its flaws and some superfluous sections that just did not need to be in there. The first next gen Sonic the Hedgehog game was deemed a huge steaming pile so you can't really blame people for thinking that this newest installment will follow in the same vein. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sonic! But I have to agree that his latest games have not been that impressive. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was probably the best 3D Sonic done so far and even that had some teeth-grindingly bad interface problems. I'm a bit skeptical of the continuation of the original Sonic series (i.e. Sonic 4) but I'm not gonna lay my hang ups on it just yet. I'm prepared to give both Sonic Colours and Sonic 4 a chance once they get here but there is a lot of short fall Sonic has to make up.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Attention to everyone, stop listening to those who are hating on this game, for they absolutely 100% WRONG!!!!

Short Version: Sonic Colors is one of the most fun games ever, bottom line!

Long Version...

SPOILER WARNING!!

So, I get to playing Sonic Colors, and I find it to be an absolutely fun game, if just somewhat on the short side.  Already, I have gotten through what could very well be the half-way point, and that was just in 3 and a half hours of gameplay.

To all those hearing about bad control, ignore them, the ones telling you that just suck at playing it!  This thing uses all 4 types of main controllers for the Wii, so choose at your own risk.  I play with the Classic Controller and find them to be quite well done.  The controls work incredibly well and never feel awkward in any way, shape or form.  In fact it feels quite natural almost instantly.  To be honest, I rarely need to think about what button to press.  All my movements are on pure instinct here, just the way control should feel.

As for gameplay itself, I think they finally got it right again.  After all the years, they finally have it all working just right.  I've missed such perfection in a Sonic Game, and it feels so good to have it back!

Story is an interesting angle.  Basically, Eggman/Robotnik tries to fool the whole planet into believing he's turned over a new leaf by building an intergalactic amusement park.  However, Sonic knows his old enemy better than anyone else and knows he's up to no good once again.  Enter the Wisps, tiny aliens who run on a special energy source that the evil doctor has been able to tap into.  Sonic though, decides to have the Wisps help him so that he can free them from the doctor's evil plot.  Interesting, but leaves something to be desired.

The Characters is where I have my biggest complaint.

Dr. Eggman/Robotnik is a little more serious in this one.  To be honest, it is a step in the right direction.

Sonic seems a bit better in some areas and a bit worse.  However, I do approve of the new voice actor.  He was definitely a good choice.

The main robots.  Let's see, a smart one and a dumb one.  How many times have we seen that combination? :rolleyes: Still, they make it work.  So it's not so bad.

Tails is where I have my biggest complaint.  I don't mind him creating a translator so they could understand the aliens. (In fact, pretty much expected that.) However, making it all come out in binary?  Really?  Do you know just how confusing that is?  I would've expected him to be a lot smarter than that.  I mean, ANYONE could have told you that a straight to native tongue speaking would've been better.  It's all Tails gets, plus being the genie pig to unveiling the evil doctor's big plans.  Also, never noticed a difference with his voice actor, so I have no complaints there.

So yeah, an actual good game from Sonic, but due to the large growth of haters, it's definitely underrated.

Still, if interested, give it a shot.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :)