The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discuss: The Meadow of Jumping Waters

pteranofan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Personally, I'd really like to see Pterano back. It truly has been awhile since we've seen him. But I have to agree with Kor, if he was back, they'd have to be in their younger teens since his sentence was five years.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The only other way for him to appear is if the gang is outside the great valley and he helped out.   They it would be not the same as if the 5 years were over and he'd have to leave the group at some point.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Besides, there is always can be such a thing as an "early release" for good deeds. ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Besides, there is always can be such a thing as an "early release" for good deeds.

I don't think Mr. Threehorn would be too pleased about that. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He would not be happy and how would they get word to him.  The mysterious beyond is very dangerous, though in some episodes of the tv series it looks very safe.  It's not like they can call Pterano on the phone or his cell phone and tell him.  Or a psychic can tell them exactly where Pterano will be when they come across him.  Roaming around or flying around in the mysterious beyond on the hopes of coming across Pterano to tell him his punishment is over or has been reduced to only 1 or 2 more cold times isn't very smart nor likely to have them come across him.  And it's unlikely he'd just visit the great valley before the period is up, so likely he'd pop up in the great valley till after the time is up.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In LBT 6, didn't Petrie say, "Me no believe in bad luck."? If you ask me, I guess something changed his mind.
I completely agree. Perhaps what I find most unusual about this episode is, it seems to be the exact opposite of that scene from The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock.

Allow me to quote that scene:
Petrie to Littlefoot: Me no believe in bad luck.
Littlefoot to Ducky: Ducky! What happened to your beak?
Ducky to Littlefoot: I got it stuck in a hive of buzzing stingers.
Littlefoot to Ducky: What about Spike's tail?
Ducky to Littlefoot: Same thing.
Littlefoot to Petrie: You don't call that bad luck?
Petrie to Littlefoot: Nah, could happen to anybody.

Throughout this episode, Petrie keeps blaiming all of the gang's misfortunes on bad luck, while Littlefoot is the one who keeps saying that these things just happen. I find the switch in roles rather interesting.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It may be that, or the writers may not remember nor have ever seen that previous movie.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pteranofan,Feb 10 2008 on  12:14 AM
Personally, I'd really like to see Pterano back. It truly has been awhile since we've seen him. But I have to agree with Kor, if he was back, they'd have to be in their younger teens since his sentence was five years.
Then they would have to meet him in the Mysterious Beyond then wouldn't they?

:smile

They spend so much time there in the tv series it would make sense to come across him at some point.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I think I've mentioned that in some thread somewhere, in any movie after the 7th, or any tv episode where the gang is outside the valley he can appear.  He could have have an appearance in the 9th, 10th, or 13th movies, or quite a few tv episodes.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
He is probably too busy to work on another movie... or so I've heard.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The main thing that jumped out at me about this episode is a speculation of mine about one of the earlier scenes. If I'm right, Spike is a very thoughtful actor.

In the episode "The Meadow of Jumping Waters" it seems like Ducky underestimated Spike's intelligence. She was saying how clouds looked like sweet bubbles. Spike made a hungry noise, so she "explained" to him that they only look like sweet bubbles but are not. He looked away and narrowed his eyes when she said that, like he was saying, "Uh, obviously." There was even one of those sound effects that made me think, "Duh" when I heard it. Perhaps Spike made the disappointed sound after that so Ducky would still think she had helped him. It did sound a bit like forced disappointment, insincere. If he hadn't responded at all, she'd likely think he didn't hear her, so he chose to respond to keep her happy. It is a pleasent feeling when you've explained something to someone that they "didn't"/didn't know.

In other words, Spike seems like a dinosaur pleaser to me in that episode.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Stinky but loveable Spike, lol!!  :lol:

Seriously, first Redclaw gets chased off by fruit being thrown at him, now he runs off because of a stinky spiketail?! What a sissy!! Geez, Chomper and Ruby! You say he's the meanest and most vicious to ever live? I doubt he could take down so much as a yellow-belly!! (Well, maybe...they are pretty---I'm not even sre if stupid is the right word cause that would be putting it mildly...) I'd like to see the original Sharptooth kick his ass!

Bruton the Iguanodon

Littlefoot was such a jerk when he went like "It wasn't good luck it was good thinking" Gee, does everything have to be perfect w/ him now????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In LBT 6, didn't Petrie say, "Me no believe in bad luck."? If you ask me, I guess something changed his mind.

Petrie does change his mindin 6; when the sticks fell down on them he was like, "Petrie believe..."

Bruton the Iguanodon

From what I can tell (I haven't seen the whole episode) it didn't even mention the "bad luck" of LBT 6, which really sucks since that's the whole point of this episode as well. Is there anything wrong with a little continuity?  :confused

Also, if they had, they could have done a reprise of "Bad Luck" (one of the  funnest LBT songs of all time  :smile ) like they did of a whole bunch of other songs. But they didn't. Why?

Oh well, they'd probably screw up my vision of it like they did to "Big Water" in LBT 9... <_<

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is a rather interesting episode to say the least. The renaissance of the good ol' "Bad Luck". Petrie, as always in the Tv-series, is being a scaredy-egg.

I must say that the episode had quite some action in it (although it quickly becomes ridiculous :rolleyes:) and they didn't fail to build in some humourous comments like Cera's "worse than usual" or Littlefoot's "Thanks... Ducky!" :DD

Overall, there isn't anything that bugs me much. Spike chasing Redclaw away due to smelling awful is kind of lame but, on the other hand, not that bad an idea... While Redclaw is everything but threatening here, it sure does entertain the kids, I reckon :smile
Inactive, probably forever.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
For my final LBT review of 2019, today I will be taking a look at "The Meadow of Jumping Waters".

The initial setup – the Gang taking a walk to go see some shooting water – was kinda mundane. Although I do like that they revisited the theme of bad luck, a concept previously explored in The Secret of Saurus Rock. Combined with a comical ending, it helped elevate this into a pretty entertaining episode. I had a good laugh at Red Claw and the Fast Biters' reaction to stinky Spike. Nice that Spike also got to contribute to the conflict's resolution. :DD

Interesting that, even though Pterano doesn't appear in the TV series, he is mentioned in this episode. Perhaps he was intended to appear in a possible second season?

Great exchange:
Cera: "Heh, uncle Pterano? That guy’s full of crazy stories!"
Petrie: "Me know, and me not stop thinking about them!"
Ruby: "So try to think about something you're not thinking about."
Petrie: "Like… what?"

Well, those are all the thoughts I have for now. Have a fantastic 2020 everyone! :wave

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
     What happened to Petrie? It's bad luck this and bad luck that! It can be funny at times, I'll admit, but Petrie seemed a little ridiculous at times. "This all Spike's fault!" (Falls into water.) 

I don't get why the jumping water made it into this episode. It seemed like it was there to just be a place for the kids to go see. Didn't add much to the story. I don't get why it's called "Meadow of Jumping Water." The episode seemed to show that bad luck is superstitious, but the name didn't fit that theme. I would give it 4 out 5.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:10:59 PM by Little Bro »
Go Chomper!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Re-review time!

I liked the tribal, Africanish music.
Same. :yes And, as trexmaster noted, very appropriate for a prehistoric jungle.

When the gang ran away from the fire...did anyone else think the animation was sped up? Never seen Spike or anyone else run so fast in all my life.
Ah, yeah. I didn't notice that the first time I saw the episode, but it stuck out to me on my rewatch. :wacko

When was the last time fire appeared in the series?  Wasn't it LBT 3?  Why did they keep such a dangerous thing off for so long?  It's so great to use. :^.^:
Haha, I agree. Fire should appear in the series more often.

What happened to Petrie? It's bad luck this and bad luck that! It can be funny at times, I'll admit, but Petrie seemed a little ridiculous at times. "This all Spike's fault!" (Falls into water.)
Indeed. In The Secret of Saurus Rock, I liked the creepy, mystical aspect of the Saurus Rock statue containing a curse. Here, however, it does seem kinda silly that Petrie would be so worried about bad luck being caused by simply eating a certain type of plant. :rolleyes But I do love the bad luck concept in general. Kinda makes me wish the series had used it more often.

I do notice, in both cases, they ultimately left it ambiguous whether it truly was a bad luck curse or if it was just a series of bizarre coincidences.

Speaking of which, I notice this is the first time in the series that we see red tree stars. I've seen fellow GoF members joke about how eating red tree stars is basically their equivalent to consuming hallucinogens. At the time, I only knew about the regular green tree stars and so I thought the concept of red tree stars was just something that someone in the community came up with. I was kinda surprised to later discover that they are actually official LBT canon... albeit probably not with the same psychedelic effects.
:ChomperRWAAR

I don't get why the jumping water made it into this episode. It seemed like it was there to just be a place for the kids to go see. Didn't add much to the story. I don't get why it's called "Meadow of Jumping Water." The episode seemed to show that bad luck is superstitious, but the name didn't fit that theme.
Another good point. I guess the jumping water was there to kickstart the journey in the first place, whereupon everything else happens. But yeah, they already had enough of a plot hook with Red Claw and the bad luck that they could've just built the episode around that.

Overall, though, I thought this episode was pretty good. I give it a 7/10.

I had a good laugh at Red Claw and the Fast Biters' reaction to stinky Spike.
And seeing it a second time made me laugh again. :DD
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:17:04 PM by StardustSoldier »