The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Paleontology

Purple Presence

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ok, so I know this is, basically, a Land Before Time forum, and that implies Dinosaurs in itself, but...I'm wondering how many of you guys and girls have an real interest in dinosaurs on a paleontological scale.

Me, personally, I am an aspiring Paleontologist.  I have been collecting and reading books on the subject, watching anything dinosauresque I can get my hands on, and generally doing independant study on them since I was like 6 years old.  They really capture my imagination.

I'm just wondering if there are any others approaching my fascination with these ancient scalies here.  :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I used to be interested in becoming a paleontologist. Found a few fossils myself though they were all shelled sea creatures. My favorite, which I no longer have, was a straight-shelled nautiloid (sp?). I never found a dinosaur bone, although I used to have a tiny dinosaur fossil that came with a raptor toy I had once. Obviously I lost it. It was the size of a pebble.

Purple Presence

• Chomper
    • View Profile
*chuckles*  If I ever got something like that, I would have probably given it to my mother to keep in her strongbox just so I DIDN'T lose it.  XD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have an interest in dinos for real and from a paleontology stand point.  I'd guess sea creature fossils should be common in parts of the us since I think at one time parts of it was underwater.  I can never remember all the scientific names and technical stuff though.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Purple Presence,Jan 24 2008 on  05:02 PM
*chuckles*  If I ever got something like that, I would have probably given it to my mother to keep in her strongbox just so I DIDN'T lose it.  XD
Wish I thought of that, but I was a preteen at the time, so I didn't know any better. So instead of being kept somewhere safe, my tiny dino fossil got a one-way trip in a vacuum cleaner bag.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i've considered being a paleontologist before but i don't think im interested in it enough to go through with it.

Purple Presence

• Chomper
    • View Profile
*chuckles*  If I could have, I would have gone to school for Paleontology.  I like challenging myself every now and again, sitting down with one of my 4 Dinosaur Encyclopedias and just skimming through, seeing how much of the stuff I can remember about each one...Name meanings, when and where it lived, etc...

I'm such a nerd.  ^._.^

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i did read a book called "the day of the dinosaurs". It was about paleontology and stuff, but the only reason why i was reading it was because i never had a book to read for english class, so i just grabed it from a shelf of books.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I've always had an interest in dinosaurs, but I'm from Denmark, which was covered in water during that age.
I still have a great interest, and I'm heading for Biologist, but you have to specielize, so I might do that into prehistoric animals.
My dreams might come true after all :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are many areas you can pick to study.  An age when the area where you live, or want to work was not covered in the oceans, or pick aquatic life, ancient plants, or any number of other areas.  No need to rush.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Purple Presence,Jan 24 2008 on  03:53 PM
Ok, so I know this is, basically, a Land Before Time forum, and that implies Dinosaurs in itself, but...I'm wondering how many of you guys and girls have an real interest in dinosaurs on a paleontological scale.

Me, personally, I am an aspiring Paleontologist.  I have been collecting and reading books on the subject, watching anything dinosauresque I can get my hands on, and generally doing independant study on them since I was like 6 years old.  They really capture my imagination.

I'm just wondering if there are any others approaching my fascination with these ancient scalies here.  :)
Heh heh, same story here :D!

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I can relate to your story, it's pretty much my own as well =P
I'm currently majoring in journalism but one day I intend to take a geology course and maybe a PHD in paleontology... Some dreams shouldn't be forgotten even if better ones begin to be fulfilled    :rolleyes:
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And you never know where that may take you.   Sounds like a good plan as long as it feels correct to you.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Sorry Kor, but your reply was to my post or to some previous post?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To yours, the one just previous to mine.  Sorry for the confusion.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, no prob =p

Well, I hope it works out fine in the end, but it's like I use to say you never know what tomorrow brings (some famous people might have said that as well  :rolleyes: )

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And maybe some non famous people that the famous people got the saying from.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I study Dinosaur Evolution and Eggs in my spare time, fascinating subject!
Paleontologist is something that I want to do beside my other plans in life.

As for nowdays, I'm not a Paleontologist, but a fossil hunter.
Though I live in a VERY poor fossil country...

But as it happens, I might have some guidelines for those members here that fancy fossil and dinosaurs.

This is the biggest online fossil community forum in the world, me being global moderator there!
http://www.worldfossilforum.com/

A huge Dinosaur discussion forum!
http://www.dinoforum.nl/

Hope you'll enjoy it if you join any of em'!  :lol:

Have a great weekend!

/Lillefot

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Mar 24 2008 on  05:23 PM
Quote from: Purple Presence,Jan 24 2008 on  03:53 PM

Me, personally, I am an aspiring Paleontologist.  I have been collecting and reading books on the subject, watching anything dinosauresque I can get my hands on, and generally doing independant study on them since I was like 6 years old.  They really capture my imagination.

I'm just wondering if there are any others approaching my fascination with these ancient scalies here.  :)
Sure I do!  :yes

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.