The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

NEW LBT SCRIPT FOUND!!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Hello hello!

:wave

It has been quite a while, but I come bearing a gift. What is this gift, you ask? Why, it is a brand new Land Before Time production script! Specifically, it's another script of The Secret of Saurus Rock.

This is the third such script that has surfaced now, after the LBT 1 script in early 2018, and the original LBT 6 script in mid 2019. I had always wondered if another LBT script would ever turn up eventually. I never expected it would be another, different script of the sixth movie. Or that I'd be the one buying it this time, haha. And yes, it was expensive. It cost me $577.01 Canadian. At first I was reluctant to buy it for that reason. But then I was worried about the listing disappearing and then the script could potentially be lost forever. I figured I'd regret it more if I didn't buy it. Since it was an important historical LBT artifact, I wanted to make sure to snag it so that I could do an image scan of it and then preserve and share it with the community.

Link to the full script here.

I wasn't the one who originally found this script, however. A big thanks to Fandom.com user 'Disneysaurus', who discovered and shared the script's eBay listing on the Land Before Time wiki back in September 2022. Still, it was good timing that I found out about this when I did. And by complete accident too! Come March 2023 and I was browsing on the LBT wiki, and that's when I came across the article Disneysaurus had created which had the link to the eBay listing. The article had been marked as a candidate for deletion since it was just about the eBay listing and wasn't really a proper article in itself. As in, if I'd shown up later, the article might have either been removed, or the script may no longer have been available for purchase and then I would have never known about it.

Anyway, so after my order came in, I sat down to read through it:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Unlike the previous two scripts which have a lot of deviations from their respective films, this script resembles the final film much more closely and doesn't appear to have any deleted scenes or such. In particular, the previous Saurus Rock script was a "first draft" script, whereas this one is a "revised draft".

With the previous script, I remember noticing the lack of songs. Here, while the songs weren't fully written yet, they were starting to figure that out. Three different points on the script are marked where a song is suggested and briefly described, which ended up being the three songs used in the final film ("The Legend of the Lone Dinosaur", "Bad Luck", "On Your Own").

It's been a few years now since I last saw LBT 6, but from what I remember of it, this script (aside from the incomplete song notes) seems pretty much exactly the same as the film. I do wonder if there are any differences, even if they're just minor things such as slightly different dialogue. Sometime in the future, I may do a more thorough analysis on this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 10:00:45 PM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Mu-u-u-u-ud Brotherrrrr!!!!! Congratulations on your epic purchase of this version of the LBT 6 script.  :Mo :Mo :Mo

I'm very thrilled that you were able to snag something this priceless to share with the community. Wow, $577.01 Canadian dollars is super duper expensive indeed, which is the most likely reason that nobody was willing to poke at the offer on eBay even after Disneysaurus from the LBT wiki first found it in September 2022. Mo-o-o-o agrees wholeheartedly, you made a good decision to buy it before the article the offer was shared on was deleted, or more importantly, before someone else was able to snatch it for themselves. Preservation of these rare/old artifacts are important (LBT 9 script, pretty please show up for purchase? :pleading_eyes:)

I'm curious about the part with suggested songs. Can you reply to me what those song ideas were? Apart from the songs that we got for the final draft, that is. Thanks. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you, thank you! :DD

As for the suggested songs, you can see it for yourself via the script link. Specifically though, they're on pages 34, 71, and 89.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Thank you, thank you! :DD

As for the suggested songs, you can see it for yourself via the script link. Specifically though, they're on pages 34, 71, and 89.

You're welcome. <3

Ah, thank yo-o-oou. Very cool. :smile
On page 34, they described the song Littlefoot sang as "Pecos Bill", which references an old Cowboy hero in fictional stories and folktale. Hehe-hahaha! They even mention the other Gang joining in with the chorus as the "Sons of the Pioneer" which is a nod to the real cowboy singing group that inspired many after them to do country music as well, which is pretty cool to learn.

Next up, the ba-a-a-ad luck song. :lol
Seems to start on page 72, rather than 71 as you said. Anyway, this part is nothing much of interest compared to the song on page 34. It basically just says they will sing a comedy song about bad luck, with various scenes to showcase the song's point, and then a "sight gag" as they describe it, at the end of the song, where the Gang tumble down over each other.

Last, but certainly not least, page 90 has the song "On Your Own." Or rather, on the script, it gives a suggestion of what Littlefoot could sing about. It says he could sing about what life could be as a lone dinosaur, and then as the song progresses, he starts to realize the importance of friends and family more and more.

Overall, from my assessment of these pages where a potential song idea shows up, it seems that by this point in the draft scripts, the writers already had a good idea of what they wanted for the songs, and most likely they were waiting for the song ideas to be finalized for sure. I enjoyed reading these particular pages. :DD

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you, Rattymon. :cerahappy

To clarify, in regard to the page numbers, I was going by the page number of the script, rather than the PDF. Since there's also the unnumbered title page at the beginning. As in, the title page is #1 of the PDF, page 34 of the script is page 35 of the PDF, etc.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If Anndi McAffee and Aria Curzon did a live reading of this script on a live stream together then I'd watch 100%.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so so so so much for purchasing and sharing it with us!  :)littlefoot :CeraHAPPY :Dducky :petrieLOL :^^spike :ChomperPOG :RubyCurious :wise :DocSerious
You're cool!

I didn't even know there was another version of LBT 6 early script. :O

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Very interesting news, just too bad it's the script for my least favourite LBT film.
If it was the script for Journey through the mist or one of the earlier squeals I'd be tempted to check it out.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
ANOTHER LBT 6 script??   :GuidoAAAAAHHHHHH

To be honest I’m kind of disappointed, since we already have an early LBT 6 script that’s FANTASTIC, imo (really, they should have kept the film exactly like that script was, no changes should have been made at all!), and would love to see a script of 3, 5, 9, or 14, since I felt those were the sequels that stood out to me.

Still, it’s going to be interesting to see, once again, how LBT 6 could have gone. I highly doubt it will live up to the high standards of the first script we got (if it has Cera’s cousins in it, it  will immediately get a vastly inferior score in my book). But it will still be fun to compare it to the final film, and to see how much either one is an improvement over the other.

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Well, I’m kind of glad that it’s near identical to the final film, since like I said, it was very unlikely that whatever this script was like, I would like it more or even as much as that first draft. On the other hand, it’s cool to see what the scripts look like before the songs are written.