The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Lion King Remake

Tigress · 24 · 5159

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I'm not 100% decided if I will go see it, but I will certainly report back if I do. Although if I do see it, then I sort of feel like I should watch the original Dumbo again as well. Gosh, I haven't seen it in such a long time. Another film I can remember from my childhood.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Disney has really cashed in on this remake, as it has grossed a total of $1,351,247,241 worldwide so far.

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lionkingliveaction.htm

Ugh, Disney will continue to make more "live-action" remakes of their old movies, and people will still go and view them, which drives up the incentive for Disney to keep making even more of them.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Well hopefully if Disney continues to make a lot of money from this, it'll give them more resources to make more Star Wars as well, pleasing the fanatic in me. :P

More generally, though, I'm fairly neutral about these live-action remakes. I don't really have any strong opinions in either direction. On paper, I think reimagining an old film many years later in a different format is an interesting idea with a lot of potential. Conversely, I totally understand the criticism I've seen from many people about how they're just unoriginal cash-grabs, etc.

I didn't end up seeing either the Dumbo or Lion King remakes. Not out of any outright disgust or refusal to watch them, but at the same time I just wasn't that interested. The only Disney remakes I did see were Maleficent, The Jungle Book, and Pete's Dragon, all of which I enjoyed. Of the announced/upcoming films, Peter Pan and Chronicles of Prydain are the only ones I'm actively intigued by.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well hopefully if Disney continues to make a lot of money from this, it'll give them more resources to make more Star Wars as well, pleasing the fanatic in me. :P

More generally, though, I'm fairly neutral about these live-action remakes. I don't really have any strong opinions in either direction. On paper, I think reimagining an old film many years later in a different format is an interesting idea with a lot of potential. Conversely, I totally understand the criticism I've seen from many people about how they're just unoriginal cash-grabs, etc.

I didn't end up seeing either the Dumbo or Lion King remakes. Not out of any outright disgust or refusal to watch them, but at the same time I just wasn't that interested. The only Disney remakes I did see were Maleficent, The Jungle Book, and Pete's Dragon, all of which I enjoyed. Of the announced/upcoming films, Peter Pan and Chronicles of Prydain are the only ones I'm actively intigued by.
I seriously hope we someday "Prydain" again someday, too.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf