The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Do you hate the Fox and the Hound?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm going to honest, I really hate the Fox and the Hound, especially the ending.  I'd hoped the Fox and the Hound 2 would have resolved that injustice, but no, it was a dang prequel!  

Unless they make a Fox and the Hound 3, I'm going to hate that series!  

I dread that happening with Littlefoot and Chomper too, what happened with Tod and Copper, and lay awake at night dreading it.  In fact, it was why I'd so passionate about writing LBT XIX and LBT XX, so I could bring Gallim and the Egg Stealers in to change Chomper's seemingly predestined fate and have him go after them instead of Leaf Eaters.  

I may, when I get around to it, write The Fox and the Hound 3: The Reunion, where Tod and Copper meet, perhaps a year or two after the first movie, and both have kids and their kids become friends and that eventually gets the parents back together and Amos eventually lets Tod and his family stay, perhaps as pets or something.  

All in all, I'd like to thank the people who made "Charlotte's Web" and the "Fox and the Hound".  Way to ruin my childhood!  :anger  :anger  :anger

I know, some people have the motto of the cow in the movie Babe:

'You're going to be the happiest when you accept that the way things are are the way things are." (or something like that)

However, Ferdinand's reply is my motto:  "The way things are stinks!"

And have set it as my goal in life to change the way things are, for the better, not the worse.

The world is always changed by those like Ferdinand, not those like the cow.  

Anyway, Tod and Copper let the world down by giving up so easily.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
What do you mean "liberals change things for the worse"? That's pretty harsh, I think. Not to mention my family is largely liberal, including myself. So the comment kinda hits me personally.

But enough of that. Back on topic. No I don't hate The Fox And The Hound. It was a pretty good movie, and had a good moral at the end. It was sad, but not everything needs to have a perfectly happy ending.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 31 2015 on  12:39 PM
It was sad, but not everything needs to have a perfectly happy ending.
That too, they really should make more movies like this one.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Midnight,Jan 31 2015 on  11:57 AM
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 31 2015 on  12:39 PM
It was sad, but not everything needs to have a perfectly happy ending.
That too, they really should make more movies like this one.
Oh please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What I feel the point of the ending was "In the end, we have to take what we can. We won't always get everything we wanted, but we can still make do with what he have and be grateful for it." I also got "Not everyone can live together, but they can respect each other."

That is something I feel should be taught more often. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to hate them or be enemies. There can be mutual respect for one another, a "agree to disagree" type thing.

And if we continue fighting to obtain everything, we miss out on enjoying our lives. We miss out on living life to its fullest, and instead waste it on a "all or nothing" personal campaign. As a result, we are more likely to lose everything faster if something screws up.

Copper and Todd realized, in the end, they can't be together. They can't have that perfect ending. They are at odd's ends, and being together would only cause problems. But they can respect one another, and understand where the other is coming from. They now live apart, but they are both happier for it.

Of course I'm talking Disney version only. The book version, upon which it was based, was much darker and both of them end up killed.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 31 2015 on  12:04 PM
What I feel the point of the ending was "In the end, we have to take what we can. We won't always get everything we wanted, but we can still make do with what he have and be grateful for it." I also got "Not everyone can live together, but they can respect each other."

That is something I feel should be taught more often. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to hate them or be enemies. There can be mutual respect for one another, a "agree to disagree" type thing.

And if we continue fighting to obtain everything, we miss out on enjoying our lives. We miss out on living life to its fullest, and instead waste it on a "all or nothing" personal campaign. As a result, we are more likely to lose everything faster if something screws up.

Copper and Todd realized, in the end, they can't be together. They can't have that perfect ending. They are at odd's ends, and being together would only cause problems. But they can respect one another, and understand where the other is coming from. They now live apart, but they are both happier for it.

Of course I'm talking Disney version only. The book version, upon which it was based, was much darker and both of them end up killed.
Ironically enough, I kind of wish they both had been killed.  Then they could be together at least.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Jan 31 2015 on  01:14 PM
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 31 2015 on  12:04 PM

Ironically enough, I kind of wish they both had been killed.  Then they could be together at least.
Spoiler: click to toggle

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
P.S., much like Charloote's Web, I don't hate either of them, to be truthful, I just feel that the ending was a really Tearjerker, and not in a good way.  

I'm writing a sequel to the original Fox and the Hound where their kids meet and get them back together. It will involve other hunters, poachers actually.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, my Fox and the Hound sequel (the Fox and the Hound 2 is a midquel) will now feature a "friend" of Tod's as the main antagonist.  In the original, Copper sort of turns antagonist at a point but in this one, though Copper does do a bad thing or two, Tod really goes out of character when the villain tells Tod what happened to his mother (he may not be old enough to know and might not have seen what happened.).  Tod sort of snaps for a bit and tells the bad guy he has his blessing to do some nasty things to humans and hounds, though he mentions specifically the ones that killed his mother and the ones that killed both of Viixie's parents.  However, the bad guy also pays a visit to Copper's house (luckily nobody dies) and Copper turns on Tod.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yes, I do, because it could have been great, but then they pussed out of going the full distance to make the film such.
So Chief survives getting run over by a train and falling several storeys onto a rock with only minor injury. ...We should all be so lucky.

Why exactly are Copper and the Hunter chasing after Todd during the finale again? Chief just got a broken leg when there should be nothing recognizable left. It wasn't even Todd's fault. If this had been like the book where Todd DID intentionally lure Chief onto the tracks, that would be one thing. Here, though, it's Todd choosing a very unfortunate place to run for it and Chief stupidly following him then paying for it.
At least of Chief had died, we all could have plugged our ears and pretended that the hunter and Copper had a motive. As the film is, the entire third act just falls apart due to sheer stupidity. If Chief is alive and well, why are these two morons wasting their time with one fox hidden WAY out in the wilderness?
To make matters even dumber, they were both nearly killed out there, and that would have left a wounded dog alone locked up in a house to starve to death if they had.

At least the end wasn't all sunshine and roses. Though that ending also carries it's own set of unfortunate writing. So basically, two members of different races intermingled and became friends, but the world tried to tear them apart... and succeeded. In fact, the film ends up saying that it's all for the best, that the races should remain separate. Hoo boy.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think the reason why they still go after him is...well it depends on the character. For Copper, I think it's because he still blames Todd for what happened, and the act of nearly killing Chief was enough to fuel his thirst for revenge against him. With the hunter, I think it's partly that, but mostly because of his own stubbornness and unwillingness to give up shooting Todd.

But I agree that killing Chief would have been the better move as it would have added the right fuel to the fire that would cause them to make the move of going into the game preserve just to kill Todd. I heard they were going to do that but they changed it cause they thought it was "too dark" or something.

In the end, neither of them were very bright in going into the game preserve with such a single-minded motive. The whole reason they got attacked by the bear was because they were so determined to kill one fox. They wouldn't have gotten attacked if they had just abandoned their 'mission' to kill Todd. But they were so filled with anger, they were not thinking straight. Though this would have made more sense if Chief had died, as it would have pushed them further into the drive of revenge.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 4 2015 on  04:53 AM
Yes, I do, because it could have been great, but then they pussed out of going the full distance to make the film such.
So Chief survives getting run over by a train and falling several storeys onto a rock with only minor injury. ...We should all be so lucky.

Yeah, that's my major complaint towards the movie. Chief should have died, really.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I find it hard to believe that he could survive being struck by a train like that, and falling down that massive drop and crashing into the rocks.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Fox and The Hound is a beloved childhood movie off mine.

I actually like the fact it didn't end with all sunshine and rainbows like most movies do. It shows that life will change and theres nothing you can do about it, you may be great friends with someone as a child but as you grow older you drift apart and go your own ways and live your own life.

Copper was trained most of his life to be a hunting dog, he is just doing what he always did, instinct. Just like people in real life, when they're raised doing it it also seems like a second nature. Like for me I have been riding horses most of my life, to me it's natural that it's something that's apart of what makes me me.

I know someone who raises snakes and spiders for a living, his parents and grandparents did as well. So to him handling snakes and spiders is second nature, like it's the most normal thing in the world. Yet I flinch if I even catch sight of a snake or spider, I was not raised around them so I am highly wary. Most people are wary when something new and testing is introduced into their life, all you can think is 'can I really trust this? it's going against everything I'm used to and know' just like if you went to a country with a totally different culture then the one your used too. It would be against everything you know and trust, but it does not make it wrong just because it's not the way you like things.

Back to Fox and The Hound, Copper's instincts are hunting, he was raised and trained to do so. Even if Tod was his childhood friend, hate to say it guys. But sometimes friends to break apart, you can't predict life and what the future will bring. Copper let the past go and moved on with his life.

It also teaches a lesson life sometimes brings you heartbreak, and it's not always a happy ending but you must move on.

How many Disney movies have the perfect happy ending? Almost..all of them. Life is not like that and Fox and The Hound is one of the few movies that actually show that.

Life is cruel, it's a fact we all have to face wherever we like it or not. Life is not meant to be without pain.

And in the end, it's just a movie. It's not real, the characters aren't real. But it does leave the message that life won't always work out the way we want it, but we must move on.

Though I still do wonder how Chief survived being hit by a train and falling that far when it was clear he was an old dog to begin with.

Oh well, it is a family Disney cartoon movie, to be expected.

I love The Fox and The Hound, the end was dark but hey. If all movies had happy endings how boring would they be?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
For me, it's not the fact that it has a bittersweet ending that troubles me. It is the unfortunate implications that go into that ending.

The main thing that baffles me about their decision to have Chief survive is that most Disney films do not shy away from killing a character or two*. If Chief had been a nicer character like Trusty from Lady and the Tramp, I might understand their hesitance, but Chief is pretty much just a jerkass through and through.

EDIT: *= Actually, I take that back. The Disney films of that time did tend to shy away from that. This was in the same era as The Aristocats, Robin Hood, and The Recuers, which tended to be lighter and softer in tone than prior Disney films. However, The Fox and the Hound takes on a much darker approach from the word 'Go'.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Do you think the ending of the Fox and the Hound was Disney's greatest letdown EVER?
Not at all. Even before I learned my preference of sadder movies, music, etc. I never had a problem with the ending and wish more animated films would end like Fox and the Hound, Alpha & Omega, The Land Before Time, etc.

Emotional or sad endings, but in a good way. All three of the movies I mentioned could have taken different routes that are sad in a more negative away.

Fox and the Hound: Tod and Cooper dying to a bullet like they did in the novel.

The Land Before Time: There were plans for a different ending that implied the GOF had died and were in heaven when they arrived at what we thought was the greay valley, if I remember right. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Alpha & Omega*: There weren't any plans for this, but imagine Kate dying instead of having a near-death experience similar to Tod in Fox and the Hound. (Don't forget, A&O and Fox & the Hound have the same writers, producers, animators, etc. as the creators of A&O left Disney over disagreements with how the films should be made and started their own studio continuing the old Disney style mixed with CGI rather than what Pixar and Disney do now.)

However, there are two deaths in Alpha and Omega 4: The Legend of the Saw Tooth Cave, as well as it taking a much darker turn than the first three films ever did that makes me like it better than any other animated movie I've seen [edit] not since 2010 but in my life, actually [edit], even the first Alpha & Omega movie itself and The Land Before Time.

Now don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against killing off main characters (my T- and M-rated Alpha & Omega fanfics show that quite often with the lead characters from each of the movies) but I don't hate the ending of Fox and the Hound either.

*Assuming anyone reading this has seen Alpha & Omega, that is. It's still one of my favorite animated movies, as are the second and fourth films, and it ends similar to Fox & the Hound in terms of a mix of an emotional and good ending.

(I don't think I've ever written this long of a post in the five years I've had an account here, haha.)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Never read the book of Fox and the Hound though I do know how its supposed to end and all.

I find the film hard to hate....there's a good message there even if some things have been changed.  We've all had friends through school, thinking we'll be friends forever and nothing comes between us.  The film is a good reminder that that isn't always the case, and sometimes time changes things.  Did Copper and Tod really have a true happy ending?  Well, sort of, but not in the sense that you think when you hear "we'll always be friends forever" early in the film.  As adults, its more a realization that you may not be true friends forever, but you can respect one another, even if you don't live near each other. :)  Its actually mature for a Disney film.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I can understand how someone would feel toward the end of this movie. For instance, I was dreading the ending to Brother Bear when I first saw it. When it turns out that Kenai would stay a bear to be with Koda, I was ecstatic. :3

It's human nature to wish for a happy ending and he would have wanted that. So I understand.  :DD