The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I Really Hate Disks

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Okay, I've never liked disks.  I kept using floppies until my files started getting too large, even though disks were available at the time.  When DVD's came out, I still preferred VHS.  But disks have gotten even worse over the years.  I bought LBT 5 on DVD about three years ago.  I've played it three times tops.  I ripped it onto the computer and I haven't really done much with it since.  So today I pop in the DVD and the piece of s*** has bad sectors.  WTF?!  I always take VERY good care of my stuff.  

I've been dealing with crappy disks for what seems like forever.  I'll burn a Windows disk and after using it 3 - 5 times, it's dead.  It doesn't matter how slow I burn 'em or what brand of disks I buy.  They're always crap.  Disks need to die.  They were bad technology to begin with and they've only gotten worse.  They must be getting their materials from Taiwan or something nowadays.  

Another annoying thing about disks is having to pop one in every single time you want to watch something.  Not only that but it can take up to 30 seconds for the movie to pop up!  It's so much easier and nicer to just have the full quality files on your hard drive and to just be able to go through Media Center and view your entire collection.  I can't wait till the disks go away with the dinosaurs.  Optical technology is NOT something I'll be sad to see go.  It's like those automatic flushing toilets and Windows Vista.  You don't force the technology onto people before it's perfected!  Disks have never been perfected and they never will be.  The could have kept solid media like floppies but they decided to go with disks because it could make them more money.  They had something like a ZIP disk go up to 2gb if I remember right.  I'm sure it could easily be more nowadays.

But with flash drives and such, disks should be dead.  But no.  They want to charge obscene amounts of money for flash media.  A 4gb flash drive should be like $1 now.  The only flash drives that should be more than $20 are ones that are 32gb and above.  It's just absurd that they charge so much for a 4gb flash drive.  At this rate, optical technology will be around for a long, long time. :bang

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I like discs. They are easy to handle and I've never got any problems with discs. If you buy high quality DVDs (like Verbatim), you won't get any problems.

I've never watched a movie on the computer because it's more comfortable for me to watch a movie in front of the TV than on the PC-Screen. I always do DVD-Authoring before watching a downloaded or ripped movie, because then I can be sure that my DVD player will read the disc.

When it comes to data files, then I must admit that discs are pretty useless. If you have large data files, you will need plenty of DVDs. Then it's better to buy an external hard drive or something similar to keep the data.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Personally I've had nothing but problems with external hard drives, and I use to have lots of problems with hard drives in my computers.  While with discs I've had very very few problems.  I greatly prefer discs over hard drives for that reason.  For a while hard drives would last me at most a few months or just a few weeks with some of them.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In my experience, Verbatim's are the WORST type of disks out there.  As for external hard drives, just make sure to only buy brand new and stick away from Western Digital.  I've had an external fail on me one time and it was a Western Digital and people are constantly bringing me dead Western Digital external hard drives.  Stick away from any weird off-brand drives too.  I have an Imation, Seagate, HP, and Western Digitial external hard drives connected to my master computer.  I'm trying to replace the Western Digital but I don't have the money for a replacement right now.  Nothing important is on it though.

But anyway, yeah.  Stick with Seagate, HP, or Toshiba for external hard drives.  Seagate is the only way to go with internal hard drives.

As for watching a movie on your TV screen, you can easily do that using your computer.  Media Center is GREAT.  Personally though, I just have a nice big 24" (soon to be 27") Samsung SyncMaster monitor that I use for video watching.  My mother has her Media Center computer hooked up to her HDTV though and it works great.  As for using a TV for a monitor, I never would.  The quality of a monitor is SO MUCH BETTER than the quality of the picture on a TV.  Not to mention the great resolution you'll get with a monitor.  Just put the computer/monitor close to your bed and you'll be rockin' in no time. :yes

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I have no idea what the hell kind of disks you are using. Every disk I have still runs... some of them are more than 5 years old.

In fact, I have 10 year old CDs that still run perfectly.

Hell my parents have CDs that are almost as old as I am and they work just fine.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The disks have only recently (like within the past 3 years or so) gotten so bad.  If you took really good care of them and didn't really use them, older disks could last years.  Now though, you burn a disk and it's crap within a few uses.  But I'd say 20% of my DVD's are shot and I don't even use them.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't have too much problems with discs. But I hate using them to store data because they can't hold so much information.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Nothing wrong here. Are you talking about the DVD Discs that you buy and pop into a DVD Player, or a Playstation Disc you pop into the PS2 or are you talking about burning things onto a disc? :o

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm talking about ALL types of disks (excluding Blu-Ray(I don't use that)).  The quality just seems to be a piece of crap.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I use an external hard drive to store data for certain classes, but CD's I use for making mixes for people. The CD's that I use I've been using for ten years, and I've not had a problem with them once.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've had good luck with discs and harddrives so I think they both have their purpose.  Now, high speed internet is something I definitely cannot pay for where I live so dvds are my medium to watch films.  I still use cds in my car, so discs will be a way of life for me for a considerable amount of time (or until I buy a car with an auxiliary jack for mp3 players).  I won't buy a new radio for an eleven year old car. ;)

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe it depends on where you buy the discs from? O_o

I have had trouble with DVD's(bought at Wal-Mart) sticking and/or skipping at one point or another, but usually popping them in the PS2 works wonders.

Sorry i cant be much help :(