The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My website

Alex · 18 · 1851

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. Two days ago, I got my website on the 'net.

metalspot.info

I know it's cheap! I just started. But, if you (or any of your friends, tell them about the site!) like metal music, it's going to be a good place to go. Eventually I want every metal artist to be listed in the site. It's going to have lyrics, guitar tabs, links to buy the albums, youtube videos, photo gallery, etc., for every artist, and every one of their songs.

If you have any suggestions that can help me improve it (I know, I know, it's cheap looking. I don't have an imagination, or any creativity. It's a big problem.), you can tell me here, or of course use the email address at the bottom of the home page.  :p

Sooooo if you're into metal, bookmark the page and visit it again sometime soon. It'll be better next time you check it out. Thanks for reading!

Edit: I went to get some advertising, and my bank account has been restricted. Lol.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
You have done well! I'm lovin' the site and will of course lend my hand in crafting the perfect metal resouce.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Good start (not a metal fan, but I've built sites before so I wanted to see what you had).  Look forward to seeing progress.  Try not to write or put too much on the main page. ;)

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I changed the look of the site. I changed it from everything being "stretched and ugly", to a center table that doesn't stretch at all, and I don't think it's ugly. I want some input!

But if your resolution is below 1024, too bad.

Edit: I also need to know how it looks in firefox compared to IE. I don't have firefox. Not going to download it. Never will.   :birthday

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here is the way it looks in FF on 1024x768 resolution. Pretty good I'd say.

Sorry for low quality, it makes the font blurry(not actually seen like that on the website). Blame MSpaint:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
What sort of input are you after?  Design-wise you're ok, though on darker monitors it will be hard to read some of the text on the page.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ah I don't know. If it's good or not, I guess. It's real good for my self-esteem to hear that someone thinks it's "ok" design wise. I always have trouble with creativity.

And thanks for the firefox screenshot..gotta make those two side tables work right..

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alex,Aug 11 2009 on  04:33 PM
And thanks for the firefox screenshot..gotta make those two side tables work right..
Not a problem. :yes

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
"Metal Search" "Metal News" "Metal Blog"...are we going to make this a Batmanesque website in terms of naming things? Like we have to use the Metal Radar to track the Metal Mobile before our Metal Bomb blows up the whole city! :p

Pretty good lookin' stuff save for the color issue I mentioned to you earlier.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The color red is over used for the main text color.  Also the link color could stand to change.  That blue doesn't go very well with your theme.  Image compression is advised as well.  Your host isn't very fast and you can get your banner down to about 12k and your background down to about 85k without any noticable quality reduction.  The white text is a bit too white.  Try a really light gray color to give it some depth.

If you're manually coding this (which I assume you are), you need to change the main content box to height:100%.  The content is spilling off the bottom of the content box.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 11 2009 on  12:05 PM
The color red is over used for the main text color.  Also the link color could stand to change.  That blue doesn't go very well with your theme.  Image compression is advised as well.  Your host isn't very fast and you can get your banner down to about 12k and your background down to about 85k without any noticable quality reduction.  The white text is a bit too white.  Try a really light gray color to give it some depth.

If you're manually coding this (which I assume you are), you need to change the main content box to height:100%.  The content is spilling off the bottom of the content box.
It is set to 100%. Was a mystery why some of the tables weren't working right.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice on the colors and stuff. I'm freakin' lost about the 100% height thing. It doesn't work for any of the tables. There's no good way to do it.

Edit: Few clicks and a style tag later, and I like the result, thank you.  ;)

Another Edit: god damn, it's jacked up for people using firefox..

EDIT: All fixed  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Alex,Aug 11 2009 on  07:40 AM
Edit: I also need to know how it looks in firefox compared to IE.
You didn't ask, but it looks fine in Google Chrome and Safari as well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well it took me a while to put my finger on it, but I think I finally figured it out.  The white is a bit overwhelming, but it's not the text color.  It's because the content boxes' border is white and undistinguished.  I would suggest a different color.  Perhaps a really dark green?

And although that color of red stands out and works well for the titles and such, I think a different link color might look better.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
@bacon thanks for checking =]

@lbtlover I'm satisfied enough for now, I think. Definitely will change stuff like that once I get the ball rolling.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I need some help again..I'm lost as to how to get website traffic..I've googled it before, but eeeeh..Any ideas would be cool..I also need to know what's the biggest factor in google ranking. I watched some video that said incoming links to your website makes the biggest difference, the woman in the video seemed smart enough, but is that truuuue?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
It'll take some time for google bots to find the site.  You need to give it time.  This might also help you: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/b...en&answer=34397
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/b...en&answer=34397

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Just updating things, since I haven't.

I have since lost the help of Grungecat. I'm on my own.

Besides that, I now have two more websites, both which are in my signature. Just now got Search4Files up. It's pretty cool if any of you download files.

And..I don't think anyone is interested in coloring pages..but, yeah..