The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Voltron: Legendary Defender

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
This is a new reboot series of an told tv show by the same name. Discuss Voltron and all its content here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 10:39:56 PM by Amaranthine »

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just finished watching the first season and holy poop I never thought Zuko's "That can't be it, where's the rest of it?!" would be more of an appropriate seniment here.

The animation is by the same studio behind Legend of Korra. So in the beginning, I couldn't help but feel I was watching a bunch of clones of the LOK cast, just with different names, facial features, backstories, etc.

But honestly? Once you get past that, I feel this show stood on its own very well for the amount of time they had. The mains are really likable, have realistic flaws and while the story can be predictable, it made that up for the characters and how they engage with one another. Since well...their lives depend on it.

I've never seen the original series, so I can't make a comparison between those two at the moment.

Still, I want to see these characters again and see them come on top.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've seen a few episodes it's okay I guess for a remake.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So...I just saw the trailer for season two, that's supposed to be out next year, and I gotta say.

Voltron Season 2 Trailer

I don't think I ever f-bombed so much in a short period of time then within those two minutes or however long the trailer was.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw a couple episodes it's not the best I prefer the original more

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Dec 18 2016 on  11:03 AM
I saw a couple episodes it's not the best I prefer the original more
Hey, I don't want to ding you or anything, but when you add comments like this, it's difficult to add anything or discuss anything back and forth. Unless you add reasons why you like or dislike something, it's just people spouting comments and not connecting them in a discussion.

I explained why I liked this series, and you say you like the original series better. What about the original series did you like better? Why did you think this show was just "okay"?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I used to watch Voltron when I was younger. Not much of it; I never had access to much outside of some episodes and the movie. Oh and a toy that I had as a kid. I don't remember much outside of the giant cat bots, which I had liked at the time (and still do) because they were the first non-humanoid robots I became familiar with. I've always been more partial to beast-like designs.

I have noticed this show on Netflix. I have yet to check it out. I might do so sometime.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I just realized I never posted more on this subject.

Anyway, only about maybe a day after I made that earlier post, I started to watch the series. I originally only planned to watch 1-2 episodes a day. But I ended up watching all of season 1 in....I think 3 days. And as for season 2, I finished that in 2 days, with most eps being watched on the second day.

I did also rewatch some of the original Voltron. Not much, but enough to try to compare how that was compared to this. And honestly I feel that Legendary Defender is the better made show. I'm not saying this because of just the animation; it's unfair to compare that. But the characters just seem more fleshed out here while in the original show they didn't feel like they had as much depth.

I like that they actually have challenges using Voltron. First not being able to form it at any point, then sometimes missing a lion, etc. It adds challenge and doesn't make it all papercut easy. I also like how the lions get their chances to shine. It's not all about just Voltron; the lions are more individualized here, complete with their own abilities and strengths.

I also like that the show kept me guessing a few times. Some bits were indeed predictable, but there were other times where I honestly didn't know what would happen or got something wrong. Such as one ep in season 2 that took a totally different direction out of nowhere.

I am slightly disapppointed in season 2 as it went in a different way that I had hoped. But it was still good and I enjoyed it. And I like how the show does not have a completely black/white dynamic going about it, though I won't go into detail aso what I'm talking about to avoid spoilers.

After seeing the end of season 2, I do look forward to how season 3 will be, and if it can live up to the first two seasons.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I just saw a couple more episodes and it's growing on me. The characters aren't that bad and I do like the more dangerous challenges they Take

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, Netflix released the final season of this show on the 14th of this month.  I got through the season today and I have to say, quite the way to end this one.  Let me just put my thoughts in spoilers.  Don't read if you haven't seen the final season.

Spoiler: ShowHide
This was an ending that made me legitimately cry.  Like actual tears cry. :cry At the end, Allura and Hagar sacrifice themselves to bring back all of the realities that were destroyed in the final battle.  It really hurt to have Allura be sacrificed to save all realities, especially when her and Lance were finally hitting it off. (I will forever support this ship!) They make it back to Altaea and we cut to one year later.  We have a nice send off, getting stories of how the Paladins lived on after that.

However, let me just point out that, in the final seconds, the writers reveal that Shiro, (the one who was originally chosen for Black Lion, had to hand it off to Keith, retire when the real Shiro was found,) was a homosexual. (They have him give another man a passionate kiss at the end.) :opetrie

I have nothing against homosexuals, but this felt like it came out of left field.  Then again, perhaps that was for the best, considering this is a Kid's Show. (Older kids, but still.) Still, this will bring some angry parents, even more so since nothing can be done given the show is over now.  Quite the way to get away with it, I must admit, if that was their intention.

Great season to end on and I can't wait to see what else these writers bring to the table.