The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bron

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
There is a number of questions I'd like to have answered about the character Bron, because the way facts are put in LBT 10 they clearly contradict the original movie. So long these questions are answered I really can't fit him into the world of LBT.

1. Why did Bron leave his wife and Littlefoot's grandparents to look for a good place to hatch Littlefoot, while they were (according to LBT 10) standing amidst the most beautiful Great Valley like landscape imaginable?
Remembering how most of the land looked in LBT it seems plain nuts for all of them to think of leaving.

2. Why didn't Bron know where to go after the earthquake? According to the original movie the Great Valley was not exactly a secret place nobody knew about. Even if Littlefoot's mother and grandparents didn't intend to go there before Bron left, it should have been easy enough for him to figure out that it would be their aim if (according to the original movie) all herds were going there. Or may it be that unlike Littlefoot's mother Bron does not see anything with his heart?

3. I really don't consider Bron's duty as the leader of a herd as a good excuse for him not to head for the Great Valley or for not having tried to find his son there. If the herd really needed Bron so much that he cannot accompany Littlefoot and his grandparents on their journey to the Great Valley, home come that Bron could leave his herd to head for the place where the solar eclipse happened? Except for Shorty it appears that very few members of Bron's herd were arround, or why else would he say that he couldn't wait to introduce Littlefoot to the others? Or if they had been around, what reason would've been left for him not to accompany Littlefoot and his grandparents? Apparently not nearly as many longnecks were at the side of the solar eclipse as it was claimed in other parts of the movie. Really I don't get that part.

Altogether I really can't say that I like Bron. Not only are so many facts about him in conflict with things that happened or were said in earlier movies but the little we know about him doesn't make him appear very likable either. Apparently there must be something about him that made other longnecks follow him, but he doesn't show much responsibility (abandoning his family as well as his herd). Bron shows a certain arrogance most notable in the following line: "Sharpteeth are cowards!" This is quite a generalization, but I really don't find it very sensitive if he talks this way in front of Littlefoot whose mother was killed by a sharptooth. Also I wonder if Littlefoot thought of Chomper when his father said this. Wouldn't Chomper be a perfect counterproof? It does take courage to attack a grownup sharptooth while you are still a hatchling, and it does take courage (even for a grownup sharptooth) to attack huge leafeaters.
But Bron doesn't need to fear sharpteeth, for he is invulnerable! We see a sharptooth biting his leg, but it doesn't cause much more than an "Ouch". We don't see a scratch, Bron doesn't limb or anything. They could've made all this so much more dramatic if they had stirred up some memories about the death of Littlefoot's mother.

Jenn

It is true that they go way off, For one Little foot mother was not the blueish color that she was in the 10th movie. I liked Bron charachter the inconsitence has to do with the writers not the charachters

As far as bron not  going to the great valley they did this so that Little Foots granparents would remain his caretaker. I think there were sevearal people from his heard, but not all of them came. It dosent seem like they are wanders.

As far as the home they showed they could have sensed that it was soon going to turn bad, so he headed out to find better place for them.  It really dosent make sense since in movie 1 so many were headed to the Great Valley.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi Jenn!
Welcome to the Gang of Five! I hope that you'll enjoy this place as much as I do  :)
You are certainly right with what you write about Bron's herd. We get a very distinct clue that they are no wanderers, when Bron says: "I can't wait to introduce you to the others back home". That sure doesn't sound like they are a migrating herd. It may also weaken my reproach of Bron being irresponsible for leaving the herd to head for the place where the solar eclipse takes place. However, it also raises the question why they depend on him at all. If they are in a place save enough to be left behind there by Bron (a place where they have stayed long enough to call it home), what for do they need a leader anyway? The Great Valley doesn't have one leader either, and there is not a one of the dinosaurs in the Great Valley that is so important for the Valley that his or her departure would cause any harm.
I almost envy you for being able to judge the character appart from the movies content. When I watched Lion King 3 I found it quite funny, though I was sure that the movie must have made devoted fans of Lion King hit the roof. It was just that though I really like Lion King very much, my affection for it is not nearly as strong as it is with the land before time, so I was able to take the discrepancies there with a smile. I can't say the same about LBT 10.
As for Bron's character, we don't learn very much about him. We mainly get to see him in such special situations like when he is explaining Littlefoot why he hasn't been around, when he is fighting the sharptooth, or during the solar eclipse. The only every day like situations with him are shown during the song "Me and my Dad", and the conclusions one could draw from these scenes were limited.
Maybe the most informative scenes about Bron were those that dealt with Shorty. I may be mistaken, but I don't have the impression that he really "adopted" Shorty until very late in the movie. Until the end Shorty doesn't make the impression like he had someone to care for him, or to educate him. Also you will see in the flashback that it is not like Bron was picking up Shorty and the others after he found them, but it was rather them following him as he was walking away. If Bron had really cared for Shorty I doubt that Shorty would have developed the way we got to know him before Littlefoot's "talk among brothers" with him.

By the way Jenn, do I know you from another board or elsewhere already?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, to each his own. I actually have no problems with him.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

He's a little...weird looking.

Bonnie Sayers on epinions.com said in her review on The Great Longneck Migration that she believed Kiefer Sutherland's voice was just right for the character

Don't mean to critizise opinions, but this voice wasn't...exactly what I'd imagine. It sounded like that of an overly sympathetic therapist. And where's his family? Obviously Grandma and Grandpa aren't, since he called Grandpa "Papa Longneck", so I don't trust him like I do Grandma and Grandpa and Momma Longneck of movie 1 (Why is she almost never mentioned in the films, may i add? Doesn't anyone think she should be?)

Also, Trulyfantasticme in one of his captions has Bron completely humiliating Pterano. While I don't know if Bron would really do that, it makes me all the less unconvinced of him. I mean, Topps would clearly do that---it's in his nature! But if someone believed Bron would---could it suggest he's a darker character then we've seen? We've never even seen him cry, might i add