The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Member Levels (updated 27 July, 2012)

Petrie · 145 · 42711

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The reason most are not commenting could be they have no real opinion on if the member levels are changed.  They may not mind about such things, like me, or they may be thinking things over, or are very busy and to busy to post.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would be one of those silent Admins, Pangaea. I think it would not be a wrong decision to change the member icons simply because ruby and chomper should be part of it. However I've just been silently reading and agreeing rather than giving my own input :) I also see Malte, Petrie and LF1616 agreeing with the new titles (and nick seems to have agreed on making them too). I'd say that 5 admins would be enough voices ^^

or are very busy and to busy to post.
Exactly.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Actually, what I'm concerned about is the amount of input from the members; the ones who will have the new level icons displayed below their screen names. Do any of them have issues with the appearance of the character images chosen, the effects on the images, and the most prominent characters being the hardest levels to attain?

I'm also feeling awkwardóeven guiltyóthat I seem to be the only one who's less than thrilled with the changes being proposed. It would be nice to have some indication of whether or not this is the case. If the majority of other members were to give their opinion before the changes were implemented, it would not only help the GOF staff to design a new level icon system that satisfies everyone, but it would probably make me feel more at ease with the changes (especially if I am indeed alone in my opinions).

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You have a very good point Pangea and it is about time that the Rock Circle is put in use again. Participation in administrative questions of the GOF tends to be relatively limited. Since the drafts are ready and the suggestions is made I will put up a simple choice poll in the rock circle on whether members are okay with the new member level system or would prefer to stick with the old one. Casting no vote though will be counted as the kind of "I don't care" which will leave the decision to those who did cast their votes since I'm afraid it is nearly impossible to get an input from a majority of all active GOF members on any matter.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would add a couple levels for when posters reach very very high post counts- such as 30000 and 50000
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That can be interesting since it will be a while before anyone reaches those so that could meet it'll be a while before a bunch of folks reach those levels.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Well, from our discussion [so far] in the Rock Circle topic about the subject, Nick and I have come up with these for the title ranks, and I've provided images for Ali and Grandma Longneck.

Members:
Newbie Ruby: 0-99
Junior Chomper: 100-499
Senior Spike: 500-999
Lady Ducky: 1,000-2,999
Lord Petrie: 3,000-6,999
Princess(?) Ali: 7,500-14,999
Queen Cera: 15,000-29,999
King Littlefoot: 30,000-49,999
Dowager Grandma Longneck- 50000+

STAFF:
Mod Mr. Threehorn
Global Mod Mr. Threehorn
Admin Grandpa Longneck

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
my proposal is thus. we add Ali as a Midlevel rank (say 7500 posts to reach her) and Grandma Longneck (50000 posts to reach her) so that would with the addittion as well of Ruby and Chomper, give us a total of 9 levels.
 Grandma longneck would be the highest anon-mod.admin could reach.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not really in favor of this. Since one of the ideas for the new level designs was to replace the one / two time appearance (Mo) to begin with I don't really think it makes too much sense to interrupt the continuous line of main characters with Ali.
Perhaps it would be an idea to raise some of the lower posting ranks (e.g. giving no visible rank to those with 0 posts and making the Ruby rank begin at 1 post instead). However, since achieving a new rank might be an inspiration for new members I think that achieving the next one ought not to require 100 posts but no more than 50 (the current level is 40).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll temporarily close this thread as it is in the section for announcements rather than for making and discussing new suggestions. I'll close it temporarily in order to channel the contributions to the Rock Circle where I think they are more in place.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Oh.  I guess I'd better remake the rest of the images then now that a decision has been reached.  I'll get on that as soon as I can, but it might be a while before I can get around to it.  And I think text is important in the rank images so newbies know what they are (especially in the Admin and Mod images).  So what have we decided the text should be?  Just something like "Rank: Ducky" or are we sticking with newbie, king, etc. (I should mention that I never really liked those titles)?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Right now there's nothing, except for admins/mods.. I think it's fine that way personally :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess it is not really necessary to add any further title beyond the character name. In the discussion in the rock circle there had been suggestions for titles, but actually we are probably better of without titles. Not only do they become kind of forced from a certain level on (until the recent change we had the ranks "Ultimate LBT Fan" and "LBTholic". Who can tell which is more extreme?) but also titles like king and queen sound kind of odd in a board that does not strive to imitate a monarchy or any other kind of autocratic rule (plus the risk of a slightly sexist overtone if either king or queen is ranked higher than the other).
The levels are not meant to be too much of a hierarchy among the members which might be enhanced by the titles only. As for the levels, their order can not only be looked up here, but the  frequency of the different images too gives an idea about the significance. The images for the Mods and Admins still carry the inscription.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Nuts. I was *this* close to becoming an Ultimate LBT fan. Oh well, gives me something to strive for :p (plus I was the one of the motion's strongest supporters since 2009)

In all seriousness, this is a good update. Now desirable characters like Littlefoot are actually difficult to reach while Moe can rock the >50 level base.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 27 2012 on  08:26 AM
Oh.  I guess I'd better remake the rest of the images then now that a decision has been reached.  I'll get on that as soon as I can, but it might be a while before I can get around to it.  And I think text is important in the rank images so newbies know what they are (especially in the Admin and Mod images).  So what have we decided the text should be?  Just something like "Rank: Ducky" or are we sticking with newbie, king, etc. (I should mention that I never really liked those titles)?
Personally I don't feel there's any need to remake the Spike – Ultimate LBT Fan images; they look fine as is. I've always liked them, and I don't recall hearing of anyone else ever having a problem with them either.

I think the only member level images that would benefit from being changed at this point are the Ruby and Chomper ones. Their color tone at the moment is much darker than the other member images and doesn't match up with them very well. My personal opinion is that they would look better if the icons were based on higher-quality screenshots, but if no one else agrees, then we can just leave the images as is.

As for the titles, I'm with Malte on this one. The best rank indicator I think anyone came up with was your "row of tree stars" idea, LBTLover. If we use any method I think it should be that one.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Are there any posts showing all the ranks' images next to each other? I kinda want to see all the images in one place.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The first post of this very thread contains all the images.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
It will take me time to get used to these new levels.  I'm still stuck in 2007. :p