The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Was Ret attracted to Ali?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 12 2007 on  08:55 PM
Besides, each character gets very few screentime as it is, especially now with chomper and Ruby-
I do not believe that this is the case.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think THE toughest one to get a loving relationship would be Spike.

Can you guess why I think this? :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Can you guess why I think this?

Because verbal communication wouldn't be possible.  They could only....do things to show their feelings towards one another and I don't think they'd show that, especially in a childs film. :p

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 12 2007 on  10:01 PM

Because verbal communication wouldn't be possible.  They could only....do things to show their feelings towards one another and I don't think they'd show that, especially in a childs film. :p
You know, that's not the only way he could show love. He could do it through gestures, rubbing heads, and grunting, and mabey more ways I can't think of.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, that's not the only way he could show love. He could do it through gestures, rubbing heads, and grunting, and mabey more ways I can't think of.

Yeah, but kids that age are kinda dense.  Besides, they usually have little or no concept of love at that age, so the characters would have to come out and say it.  I mean, unless they did something ummm....non child appropriate, it could just be mistaken as friendship.  Of course, they could always have the rest of the gang call Spikes companion his "girlfriend".

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He could also have Ducky translate, but Spike can do all the non physical ways of showing love like mentioned above.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
He could also have Ducky translate, but Spike can do all the non physical ways of showing love like mentioned above.

Those kinda relationships never work out.  I mean, take for example a relationship between two humans that don't speak the same language.  They'd need an interpreter, right?  Well, that might be nice for first meetings and whatnot, but it would begin to put a crimp in your love life.  Anyway, this is getting way off topic.  This thread is about Ali and Ret.  Perhaps we should make a topic just about gang relationships/future relationships.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Likely she would get to understand Spike after a while.  By the end of a movie, if they did that, which they would not, she would have a basic understanding.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 12 2007 on  09:01 PM

Eh-heh!  You got me LBTlover! :D

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I honestly don't think the writers put as much thought into this as we have :P:
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As for showing affection and not speaking, haven't they shown Littlefoot's grandparents showing affection for each other by not speaking with nuzzling or neck rubbing?  I've not seen any movies with Tria in it so have no idea if they do that with her and Threehorn.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mr. Threehorn and Tria nuzzle each other's snouts ;).

I personally despise that pathological liar Rhette.  Even if he did reform, I could never trust him.  I hope Ali never gets with him.  But that's just my view on him.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm sure Rhette had a good reason for deceiving Ali as he did. He was probably in the same position that she was in. He was in a herd with only longnecks, but somehow there was nobody his age to talk to. Maybe he created his stories because in real life his adventures were just really boring. Maybe he figured if he told a boring story, then Ali would be bored with him and want to avoid him.

This is of course my opinion.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I personally hate Ret myself.  I wouldn't mind if I never saw him again in a sequel or TV episode.  I hated his voice, the way he was animated, and his attitude.  Reminded me of Hyp kinda.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I wouldn't mind if I never saw him again in a sequel or TV episode.
Basically I agree and yet I would not be angry to hear about an episode or sequel to come in which he is involved. For it would mean at least that there would be another sequel or episode :(

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess if there is a season 2 he'll likely appear with Ali in the same episode.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe, maybe not. the episode, really focused more on him, than Ali. The Ali of the episode was very different from the ALI in lBT 4. While she really isn't as shy as she has been potrayed, she shows almost no individuality in the epidsode. BY that I mean, her character wasn't very distinguished. she trusted Rhete's stories far too much, a longneck who had been through real danger like she had been in LBT 4, should have been, at a minimum skeptical of outlandish tales of heroism and bravery.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True.  She seemed like a totally different character in that episode.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm not so sure about how much we can say about how different she was from the way she was in LBT 4; for what was the profile she did show in LBT 4?
We did see her "twist Littlefoot around her little finger" so to speak by looking at him in a way to do the trick and by cutting some funny faces. We did see her convince Littlefoot to go of with her on their own stating the others would slow them down and settling the matter by just walking of "forcing" him to follow. Yes, this point does suggest her to be more assertive than she was portrayed in the episode, but then again I think it would be a very different thing asserting oneself against against a "gentlesaurian" like Littlefoot or someone like Rhett.
We saw Ali being somewhat uncertain about the way "Sometimes I loose track where I am or where I have been" and in spite of her many travels (on which I presume she must have gained experience the others in the Great Valley did not) she did not know any more about echos than Littlefoot did at that time. We saw Ali sensible enough to overcome her prejudices and return to get the others for help. We saw her courageous in a situation of outright peril and se saw that Ali just pretended knowing about the Nightflower (Rhett is not the only one to make up things in order to be recognized by others).
Based on these facts (or not based on these) I think everyone made up an own image of Ali which would hardly match the image created by the makers of the series. But based on what we saw in LBT 4 about Ali's character (not too much altogether) I don't think the image presented by the makers of the episode is so different from the LBT 4 Ali as to make it a "plothole".
We just know too little about her and we are all to willing to glorify her to accept a different interpretation of her. I don't like the way she was presented in LBT 4 and I do agree that she ought to have been skeptical enough at least to ask one of the grownups about Rhett, but if she was desperate to stay friends with the only longneck of her age available she may have been just as eager to keep up her own glorified image of him, no matter what, as she was to keep up the friendship as such.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We know even less about Rhett.  Maybe he was a habitual lier, or maybe, like I mentioned above, maybe she talked about Littlefoot when they first met and he felt he had to make up stories to seem good enough to be friends with her.  

I didn't have an idealized version of her, one of the benefits of being old, it's just the Ali in the episode seemed a bit less experienced then the one in the movie in certain ways.   Believing someone of her size could make a mountain with their tail is a bit much.  
As for attraction, it is likely of the friendship type.  Someone of around your age that you travel with, unlike others who you may meet but will only be with briefly.

If there is a season 2 I wonder how she'll be treated in that one, and Rhett too for that matter, if he does appear.